shawls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shawls

i know this was discussed elsewhere, but what kind or size of shawl do you prefer to carry?

i'm going to make a new shawl full-size so be able to open it for honor dances,etc....

may add family design to corners adn family name in the center

anyone else?
    Well will wonders never cease.....

I usually carry a full size shawl when I go to powwows.

I have just started learning how to decorate with ribbon work :) . I need more practice
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Have you ladies considered the blanket shawl wit ribbon work. I 'm talking about the full length blanket such as the War Mothers wear. I've been seeing more of these as I travel around. This is an old style of shawl before the fringed shawls the ladies are using today.
      Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!! Wa-Do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      BOB

Comment

I don't carry a full shawl. I guess my shawl would be considered half a shawl. I just prefer a lighter shawl.:)
        :huddle: Learn to associate with the white man, learn his ways, get an education. With an education, you are his equal; without it, you are his victim. - Chief Plenty Coups, Crow

Comment

I did the same thing for my little girl...her shawl that she carries with her for dancing is about a half a shawl, but is fringed on all sides, then i pinned it togehter to stay in place. She is too tiny to carry a full sized shawl for herself, that is why her full sized shawl is hanging in the closet LOL. I carry a full sized one, but after dancing with it for a good long time, I was wishing I had made it small like hers...it is very heavy.
          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Cherosage,
            Are you perhaps refering to an honor blanket? They are most beautiful, but I don't think they are worn for just regular powwow dancing, mostly for specials etc. Might be wrong on this, but that is when I mostly see them used.
            Back to the question at hand. I usually use a full size shawl, but have a half as well. (my FAVORITE is a full size, so it get used the most) I think that I will start making the half shawls with ribbon work though, much lighter to carry. :)

Comment

have to agree half shawl is lighter, but nothing sways like a full shawl
              about ready to start new shawl, got design
              just need to make it
              Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Dance Shawl Designs

Could someone please tell me the proper way to put a design on a shawl? I guess what I mean,...is it okay to put a design on your shawl and must it be something particular....like my family is of the deer clan and would it be acceptable to place an embrodered deer on my shawl?
                Please help,as I don't want to put anything on it, if it isn't suppose to be there.As this is my first one,and I will be dancing with it alot.

:(
                "walkstheruggedpath"

May the warm winds of heaven blow softly on your home,and The Great Spirit Bless all who enter there.

Comment

MY COUSIN USES BOTH SIZES.
                  SHE USES THE FULL SIZE DURING GRAND ENTRY AND CONTESTS FOR THE SWAY EFFECT.
                  BUT DURING THE INTERTRIBALS SHE USES HER HALF SHAWL WHERE IT JUST DRAPES OVER HER ARM AND IS NOT SO HEAVY AND HOT.

HER HALF SHAWL HAS APPLIQUE AND HER FULL SHAWLS ONE IS APPLIQUED FOR CONTEST AND ONE PLAIN SHAWL JUST THE MAIN COLOR OF HER OUTFIT WITH THE FRINGE.

AND WHEN SHE DOESN'T DANCE SHE JUST USES HER FULL PLAIN SHAWL FOR INTERTRIBALS.

PEEKS ;)
                  "Never be bullied into silence.
                  Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Comment

Shawls

O'syio Brothers and sisters.I have just made my dress to wear at my future powwows. It is not buckskin but it is leather. It has alot of fringe and I am making myself a shawl. I do not know what clan my great great grandmother was from, but I want to honor her. She left her family to come here. She was Cherokee. What kind of designs are allowed? Do I pick something from my heart? I do not want to dishonor her or my family. Please help me.
                    Pony

Comment

Re: Dance Shawl Designs

Originally posted by walkstheruggedpath
                      Could someone please tell me the proper way to put a design on a shawl? I guess what I mean,...is it okay to put a design on your shawl and must it be something particular....like my family is of the deer clan and would it be acceptable to place an embrodered deer on my shawl?
                      Please help,as I don't want to put anything on it, if it isn't suppose to be there.As this is my first one,and I will be dancing with it alot.

:(
                      I think that if you look around at some of the Pow Wow's you go to, you will see many different styles, they are as individual as you are! What you put on your shawl is up to you. If you are of the deer Clan, and want to put a deer on it, that is up to you! I'm of the Blue or Wild Cat Clan, but I'm still seriously thinking about embrodiering, or beading maybe doing a cross stitch with beads, Hummingbird on my blue shawl! But my problem with that, is that my daughter and I have switched shawls depending on what we wear! We have a light blue shawl, and a dark blue one, I have two dresses, one is light blue, and the other one is dark blue ... so which shawl do I decorate? She wants a red tail hawk on hers .... do I do both? Hawk on one side and Hummer on other? Then no matter which shawl either of us carry, we have our Birds showing .... nah ... just leave em plain .... maybe .... choices-choices
                      Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

what to have on your shawl

Boozhoo,
                        I've been told that whatever is in your heart and you have good intentions, that this is the way to design your shawls/regalia. And if you have any doubts, then maybe it isn't the right thing for you. Maybe it would be right for someone else though, that you might want to gift it to, or make for a daughter, etc. But you should probably ask them for their thoughts on it too, if it is to be used for their regalia.
                        I personally don't think there can be too many disrespectful designs that come from our Mother and the Creator...animals, flowers, etc.; images that portray these things.
                        Baamaapii,
                        Bineshi
                        bineshikwebineshikwebineshikwe

Comment

I'm otoe so I use otoe ribbon work on my shawl. Nowadays some of the designs, I see around are really fancy ribbonwork and applique.

I like the "cheater" shawls but I use the full shawl when i'm not dressed in my dance gear.
                          The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Dark and light color shawls

We have a light blue shawl, and a dark blue one, I have two dresses, one is light blue, and the other one is dark blue
                            Hi I knew a dancer who would change her outfits to suit the time of day vrs night. The night regaila would be a darker blue for the sky with second session and daytime regailia a lighter sky color. Maybe it's that way with you, too?

My shawl was gifted to me by a group of children and I haven't changed a thing with the nice native designed blue table cloth. I'm ready for either - a picnic or a ceremony which ever I choose. Pass the bannock, please. Lol
                            I support blueberries, apples and mini marshmallows as a feast food.

Comment

full as well. never tried the cheater shawls. saw one that had a pouch on the inside and the dancer used it as a purse! Hey, it swayed well!
                              Poetry is life in print.

https://poetryislifeinprint.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KarlieCharlesSoftball/

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.