Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about the future of southern cloth tradtional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about the future of southern cloth tradtional?

I am just wandering i am 15 and i danced tradtional,fancy shawl, and jingle. But out of all of them i love tradtional but when i go to powwows i don't find many people in my catergory! I was was wandering do ya'll think about the future of southern cloth and about teens dancing southern cloth. I dance to honor my family and my nation that is all i can say!
    ~Ayita~ :D ;)
    ~NATIVE PRIDE~

southern cloth is still very popular in SoCal, but i have noticed it has become a generational dance. Very few teens and when women's category comes up, i'm usually one of the youngest out there. I'm 30!

Comment

Southern Cloth has been around for ages and will probable continue to be around. In the --- years that I have been around there have been changes. Length of the skirts, etc. but it goes on

Comment

Since I started dancing I've usually also been the youngest Womens Cloth like Homa.i'm in my thirties also
        But I still see a lot of women dancing. But now I see more go into the Senior women's division which also lets me know I'm getting older too. As time goes by there will always be someone to dance southern cloth, whether tiny tot to senior's
        Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Well, around here, there aren't that much, my cousin and I, are starting so. traditional. I am 16 & my cousin is 15, even though i practice in my room, and haven't started dancing in the arena, I love it. It so beautiful, it just makes me want to fly. I hope the future of this dance is great, i hope it get's more & more popular.
          '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,
          SOUTHERN STYOZ
          '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,

Comment

i understand where ur coming from ayita16, down here in florida there are hardly any teen traditional dancers, especially in competition. if there are some, they get moved up to the women's catagory which i think is unfair.
            Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

Sorry but I think if a girl or boy for that matter, feels they are good enough to compete in an adult division let them, It'll keep us Adults on our toes and not relax with knowing who's there to dance and who your competition will be.
              I think if a little girl feels and dances like an adult then she should be able to dance with the adults. I'm not sure if it was 4th of july in CHeorkee or mt. juliet, I saw this tiny tot girl in traditional cloth dancing. Her dancing just blew me away!!!! she had more poise, grace and even dance steps that would make some grown women cry. She was that good.
              Do not hate the kids that can move up, help the kids that can move up. We are intertribal and we are brothers and sisters, uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews. If you respect the younger generation, they will return that respect, so when you become the elder in your community and go traveling, maybe that respect will preceed you.

Comment

Oh No!!! I hope this doesn't mean that all them young uns in the 18-49 would be able to move up to the golden age!:(

I figured that everyone will get there sooner or later, but I was always taugt to have patience. We'll all reach them older categories someday.

I was in no rush to get to golden age but - dang!!! - it happened.:D

Comment

Ive been dancing cloth for about 4 1/2 years and I think that it has grown. The more places Ive been the more girls Ive seen dance cloth. But this past year was my first year dancing with the womans cag. I also think that the style has grown too. (More sparkles and rhinestones) Thats cool though!

Comment

deltadawn, im not upset that kids can move up, im upset that we are forced to move up.
                    Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

Dontwanna argue - I can appreciate not going to senior division just yet, still in my thirties, I think I missed the point I was trying to make. I know young girls really don't want to move into golden age(hehehe) at least not yet for me.

TradisjingleFancyShawl - You cannot really be forced to move to a high category even if there are no other dfancers or not enough in that category. If you registered as say: juniors ages 12-16, and you are the only one, yes you pretty much won, but you should still dance, that is what you are there for?, unless the pow wow committee wants to save money and try to make you move up, you really do not have to move up, you are in your category, if that is where you wish to stay. But I do see a lot of juniors or teens move up to see how they compete against an older division.

Comment

It never hurts to see how you can do in the next class up. We have given several you ladies who are about a year or two
                        younger than the age for princess sit in to hear what some of the
                        questions the might be asked of them and to get them informed about what the committee expects of them. Not all committees want the same thing from their princess. Have even let some go out and dance without the judges considering them seriously.
                        They had a blast doing it. If they decide to go out later, they will have an idea what they are getting into.:p

Comment

Hey everyone thanks for replying i love all the discussion ithink its going very good. Anyways i am still waiting for my dress one of my close friends is going to make it for me. Anyways i agree i would love to compete against the woman who i have watched since i was a baby dancing and be able to compete against them it would be a honor to do it. Anyways i have been so busy lately let me tell you i hate homework! ITS EVIL!!!!!!!!~ Anyways any of ya'll going to the stone mountain ga powwow nov 1-4?
                          keep it real
                          ~Ayita~:Angel2
                          ~NATIVE PRIDE~

Comment

St Mtn

A -
                            plan to see you kicking it up at Stone Mtn.
                            Hope Henri is done with the dress.:Chatter
                            Hope to see others there too, Hopefully Bobbi Orr remember sher dress this time.
                            her and R.C. drove all the way to mt Juliet and she left her dress at home...
                            can you beleive after all these years?? But it was still good to she her there.

Comment

deltadawn, i think thats exactly what they are trying to do, save money. i think if you are the only one in ur category, you won 1st place. this year they have to decided to do a winner take all, no 2nd place, no 3rd place.
                              Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X