new dancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new dancer

Hello, I just began dancing last year (one pow wow), next week I will be going to a pow wow and I have a few questions.
    Can I wear an Eagle feather in my hair, up with a beaded barret with porcupine quills hanging down or can I wear the Eagle Feather hanging down, How do I put the Eagle fluff on? Should I braid my hair or wear it loose? Can I wear silver jewelry? Can I wear makeup? I have an Eagle fan, a Turtle shell purse and a bone knife in a sheild, my dress is red cloth with leather fringe on the bottom and on the arms, I have a belt of the same red material with beaded on the front of the belt, I have leggings of the same red materal and high top beaded moccasins. I have a breast plate made of hair pipe bones down to my ankles. Please tell me if I am missing something and if this is okay, thank you.

Do you have a photo of what you have for a dress? What you are describing is a little confusing. What style do you want to dance will influence what type of dress and materials you wear.

tipis

Comment

I don't have a scanner to show you a picture. I want to dance traditional, but I don't have buckskin.
      My dress is a t-style made with red cloth, with fringes on the arms and the hem.
      I have a shawl which I carry over my arm.
      I have a cloth belt.
      A turle shell purse.
      A knife in a knife shield on my belt.
      An Eagle fan.
      An Eagle feather sewed on a barret which is place on the back of my head.
      I have red cloth leggings and moccasins.
      I have a long breast plate.
      I hope this is more clear, thank you for replying.

Comment

As for the feather, traditionally, single women wore a single feather standing straight up, with the top of the feather facing outwards from the head. Married women wore 2 feather straight up. The plumes, I myself attach them to the straight up feather. Others use them as a decoration on the top of the head, off to the side. Others still use flicker feathers or smaller eagle feathers. Just depends. Everything else depends on what tribe your from and whatever customs are appropriate for that. Hope that helps - and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jaleebi22
          I have an Eagle fan, a Turtle shell purse and a bone knife in a sheild........!!!!!!!!!!!!
          You have all that over in Pakistan ? That's amazing !

Mod , when you delete and ban this person , you may delete this post !
          I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
          It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Originally posted by wardancer View Post
            You have all that over in Pakistan ? That's amazing !

Mod , when you delete and ban this person , you may delete this post !
            Banned and deleted. :)
            Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.