Dancin Tips 4 Beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dancin Tips 4 Beginners

List some dance or regalia, anything tips and etiquette for begginning dancers!!!
    And tell how much experience you have.

Here's one: stop with the drum;)

Anything you have will definitelly help new ppl like me!!
    Wa-do!
    New-- none in regalia
    19.49%
    less than 5 years
    25.13%
    5-20 years
    36.41%
    more than 20 years
    18.97%

I jsut started witha shawl over my shoulders and intertribals , then a lot of watching and learning.

watch, listen and learn.
    Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Please make sure that your dance clothes are clean and pressed. It looks really tacky if you're all wrinkled up, it looks like you have no pride in the things that you wear. Please try to make sure that your outfits match too.:Wave

Comment

Good tips Eagle Clan 1017!

I would also add - dress according to your tribal ways - wear your own regalia (don't borrow from others) and also don't copy anyone elses designs!!!!!!!

Comment

try to keep your grace. greet the headlady and don't start dancing until she does.(respect for her head position). don't drop your EAGLEs(if you are useing them). take care of your clothes(keep an iron with you when you travel).

just a few ideas for you ladies. don't forget your shawls.
          BOB

Comment

fringe

It is an indicator if you are on the beat.

Comment

Don't follow my lead at a powwow..I suck LOL!
              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

i cant get my fringe to swing!! maybe i should bend my knees lower?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
                  Don't follow my lead at a powwow..I suck LOL!
                  Now this is a sign of a humble (and humorous person). I tend to listen to these types instead of the I know everything and you need to do what I say. Blah, blah, blah, me me me, I I I, we we we...
                  "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

:Blush
                    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Don't steal designs

But I have been told by many that if we like the ideas that we see it is ok to copy that, but do it in our own personalities! My daughter and I add to our regalia, and different ideas, each Pow Wow we go to. This one my daughter saw a feather barrett, that we are going to make simular to, but in our own design.
                      Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

I started dancing in regalia last year. I was taught that your regalia was a personal thing as well as a tribal thing. Your colors are something that is personal. The style is according to your tribal affiliations. I have sceen at least three other women who have used the same material that I have, just in different variations. Saw one young lady this past weekend who almost had her regalia the same as mine! Talk aobut scary! LOL She had a solid border on the enge of hers tho and it looked very nice. Her ribbon colors were opposite the way I had mine sewed on too. Anyway.......... I am a newbie too, so any tips from your ladies that have been dancing for a while would be greatly appreciated!

Just attended a powwow this weekend and entered my first competition. Boy was I nervous! didn't do too well tho, but hey it was my first time. :)
                        Don't sweat the small stuff. Leave things you can not change alone and move on. The Creator will take care of all you need
                        :49: Powwow Dancin is the best!! :dancer:

Comment

But I have been told by many that if we like the ideas that we see it is ok to copy that, but do it in our own personalities! My daughter and I add to our regalia, and different ideas, each Pow Wow we go to. This one my daughter saw a feather barrett, that we are going to make simular to, but in our own design.

Tsiniti --

What you were told is good to a certain extent. I would take it further though if it were me. If you see an idea you like, approach the person wearing it, find out who made it and would they mind if you use it or modify it.

Speaking from personal experience - nothing make me madder than having one of my designs or outfits copied - much less modified. I spend many hours thinking of the person I sew for and design something specifically for them. I put a lot of love and time into my work. Not to mention money and design work. All of my work is original and never repeated unless it belongs to a particular family and they request it that way.

I sew for one cloth dancer that has her own design, made specifically for her. She brings it to me when we start a new dress and I return it when the dress is complete. Would never think of using her design for someone else. Same as the designs I make - I would never use the same design for two different people.

To me, and it is just my opinion, but it shows a lack of imagination and creativity. Your Indian clothes need to reflect who YOU are -- not a modified someone else..............

Good luck to you in your design process.:)

Comment

I could not agree more....more-so than luvstraightdancers gets mad..I get mad when I see her work copied. Because I am the one that she started sewing for in the first place. Another tip....neon material is really not that pretty. Does not really make you invision the way that life used to be...keep your colors natural...red green yellow blue...you know. Also...take your stuff to the cleaners on a regular basis....koolaid stains are not flattering.

Comment

I would never dream of stealing designs, that is not what I meant, and we always talk with the person who has the item we admire, about the idea, design, etc! The barrett I was refering to, is just the idea, of the barrett itself, I would not have thought of doing one in that way, and yes we were told, we could design one of our own knowing that it would not in any way be mistaken for the other one. I have had people come up to me, and ask where I got something, and then asked if they could copy that design, I have no trouble with this, if it is mine, due to I never make two the same anyway! If it is not one of my making, then I tell them where it came from. If you see a leather pouch you like, is it not alright to make a leather pouch? then decorate it in your own design? It is the simple things, that sometimes seem to cause the most problems.
                              Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X