No announcement yet.

Dancin Tips 4 Beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you see a leather pouch you like, is it not alright to make a leather pouch? then decorate it in your own design? It is the simple things, that sometimes seem to cause the most problems.

Simple things are often misconstrued...as you did - no one said anything about stealing.....

Making a leather pouch or a barrette is a simple thing but ribbonwork and designs are another...I did not mean that you shouldn't use a design idea for a pouch or whatever...I was implying that ribbonwork and beaded designs are very personal and I do not like mine copied or modified. That is my personal opinion. I just feel that all everyone needs to use their own designs and not borrow from other tribes and people.

No problems here.......

Comment

No B-52s!

When you are dancing, keep your arms down and don't swing your whole body to keep the fringe of your shawl and dance purse moving. It is all in your leg work. I take small steps, letting my right catch up with my left foot. If you do the step correctly, your fringe will whoosh forward and whip back.

about designs....... I know what you all mean by people copying designs. Somebody at this one powwow asked if they could copy the design on my dance purse. I developed the design from a star quilt and an eagle from one of those Cecelia Totus books. With the exception of the eagle from the transfer book, the design was all mine. To have somebody copy what took me a while to think up, graph, and bead (it took me 4 1/2 months to make) is unthinkable. So would it be for someone to copy my Sept. 11th design on my knife sheath. To all of those people, I say do your research, use your creativity, and do your best, but don't copy!

Comment

Tip:

Don't be in a rush to put your dance outfits together. It is rather bothersome to see some people take so little pride in what they wear by doing a [email protected]$$ put-together rush job.

Comment

Be yourself. Dance from your heart. Watch, ask questions, listen, and learn!!!!! Have fun!!!!!!

Lipan Lady

Comment

Ladies, watch the head lady dancer especially during Grand Entry. I think it looks good when all the ladies follow the head ladies steps.....dip when she dips, step when she steps. Otherwise you get this sort of this sort of 'down when she's up, up when she's down' calliope look. haha Looks more graceful when all the ladies are moving the same. Of course, if the head ladies off beat.......which happens.......stay on beat yourself.

Comment

Practice, practice and more practice. Around the coffee table we go.

Comment

Originally posted by NancyJo
                Ladies, watch the head lady dancer especially during Grand Entry. I think it looks good when all the ladies follow the head ladies steps.....dip when she dips, step when she steps. Otherwise you get this sort of this sort of 'down when she's up, up when she's down' calliope look. haha Looks more graceful when all the ladies are moving the same. Of course, if the head ladies off beat.......which happens.......stay on beat yourself.

I'm Northern and we don't usually have Head staff, we do have Arena Directors and/or Whip Men/Whip Women, we look towards them to see if they are dancing so we can dance too but we don't copy them. We don't dip either but is that what Southern ladies do follow the Head Lady Dancer and dip when they do etc.??? Just wondering, not trying to be disrespectful just curious :).

Comment

No, your questions are (should be "are not"...my typo mistake!!) disrespectful.
                  The "dip" is just bending the knees in your step. I guess it's a southern thing.
                  I don't mean to say "copy" the way the head lady is dancing.....but just to step in step with her if you can. It just ends up looking a little smoother. Not sure I can explain it more than that........its just something I've noticed at southern pow wows. Sometimes the Grand Entry is so big you can't even see the head lady. But most important is just to dance on beat.
                  We wait until the head lady/head man starts dancing before we start like you do the whip man/whip lady.
                  Nice to learn the differences in northern and southern!
                  Last edited by NancyJo; 09-08-2004, 09:40 AM.

Comment

No, your questions are disrespectful.
                    Sorry that I offended you, I was just asking a question.

Comment

Oh gosh....I'm sorry......I meant that to be "No, your questions "are not" disrespectful!!!! Yikes.... thats what I get for typing a reply really quick and not rereading it.
                      Sorry.....
                      Really when I posted my first post, the main thing I was trying to get across is to learn the songs and to stay on beat as best you can.
                      I've danced a pow wow where I'm behind someone in line during the Grand Entry and they are off beat.....and even though I'm on beat, if I glance at that person it can throw me off, too. So, maybe by someone that is learning, by looking toward the head lady it would help them to learn to stay on beat. Its something that I did when I was first learning and thought I'd pass that on.
                      Sorry again......it was the end of day when I typed my reply.....boy, did I ever feel bad when I saw my mistake!!!

Comment

Oh gosh....I'm sorry......I meant that to be "No, your questions "are not" disrespectful!!!! Yikes.... thats what I get for typing a reply really quick and not rereading it.
                        Sorry.....
                        Really when I posted my first post, the main thing I was trying to get across is to learn the songs and to stay on beat as best you can.
                        I've danced a pow wow where I'm behind someone in line during the Grand Entry and they are off beat.....and even though I'm on beat, if I glance at that person it can throw me off, too. So, maybe by someone that is learning, by looking toward the head lady it would help them to learn to stay on beat. Its something that I did when I was first learning and thought I'd pass that on.
                        Sorry again......it was the end of day when I typed my reply.....boy, did I ever feel bad when I saw my mistake!!!
                        Don't feel bad we all make mistakes sometimes. I was wondering if that was what happened with the typo but then again I wasn't sure and thought maybe I did offend you and that wasn't my intention.
                        Have a great day!

Comment

Whew!!!! Glad we got that all straightend out!

I'm so glad you are asking questions and posting your own thoughts on this thread. Its good to have a place to learn.

You taught me something that I didn't know......that at Northern pow wows you usually don't have a Head Staff.

So keep on asking your questions......if someone gets offended at a question you asked, maybe it's just because they are not sure of the answer...........that, or like me they made a typo!!! haha
                          Have a great day!

Comment

ok ive never contested and ive been wanting to but like i dont know when to bow and also when i watch the other southern dancers contest some dont bow so do you have to bow or is it a choice or does it depend on ur tribe? i would ask my tribe members but my tribe doesnt powwow so any information would be appreciated thanks

You got me lifted shifted higher than a ceiling And ooh wee it's the ultimate feeling
                            You got me lifted feeling so gifted Sugar how you get so fly?¿?

****Mary had a little lamb but grandma butchered it****

Comment

powwow newbie

Here are some important things...1. ALWAYS listen to the MC, you could be not paying attention and go out and dance when its a special, or men only/women only etc... 2. Follow Protocol/Ettiquette (if you don't know Ask...most anyone is willing to answer questions and would rather have you ask) 3. When you are in grand entry dance your style...that is the time you first enter the Arena and you are split into your style so dance it don't just walk...(i see that way too much) or don't just dance when you get in front of the judges stand because believe it or not they are watching you the WHOLE way around. Just a few thanks!! And Good Luck!! and most importantly Enjoy and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle_clan1017
                                .... Another tip....neon material is really not that pretty. Does not really make you invision the way that life used to be...keep your colors natural...red green yellow blue...you know. Also...take your stuff to the cleaners on a regular basis....koolaid stains are not flattering.
                                @ koolaid stains... too funny!!! So true!!!

As for the neon colors... was at a powwow a few months back the MC says something like, "give these fine dancers a round of applause... representing tribes from across the nation... dressed in our sacred colors... " I just about fell outta my chair... turned to my friend and said :secrets: "Since when have the sacred colors ever been LIME GREEN, NEON PINK, HIGHLIGHTER YELLOW, and ROADSIDE ORANGE??"
                                Haudenosaunee Hotties & Hunnies

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.