Dancin Tips 4 Beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shookshooklaquay
    1. ALWAYS listen to the MC, you could be not paying attention and go out and dance when its a special, or men only/women only etc...

HAHA Yeah autumn you know about that... dont ya!! all i have to say it TIPTON.... lol just playin.... good thing Dana didnt see you that one year
    Last edited by Fancy Maiden; 11-15-2004, 06:05 PM.
    Why we dance.........
    we dance to pray, we pray to heal, we heal to live, we live to dance!

Comment

Originally posted by eucheefolife
      ok ive never contested and ive been wanting to but like i dont know when to bow and also when i watch the other southern dancers contest some dont bow so do you have to bow or is it a choice or does it depend on ur tribe? i would ask my tribe members but my tribe doesnt powwow so any information would be appreciated thanks

At contest powwows most southern dancers bow on the downbeats of the song (heavy loud beats before chorus), 4 times total during the whole song. Sometimes there's an added chorus(?hope to describe it well) right after the song starting with downbeats, you bow during the start of that too and gracefully end with head up towards the center of the arena. I was told when I was little act as if I'm looking for something on the ground, kind of a weaving pattern. You'll develop your own style as you start dancing more, just basics you have to know...I been dancing for 22 years now..!! Gaww..I feel old!

OH, another tip is to start listening to songs and study up on them, different styles of each drum group (if you're southern or nothern traditional) so you'll know the songs during competition. Very helpful!
      Last edited by Babe; 11-19-2004, 05:36 PM.
      Two things a girl should always be: Classy & Fabulous

Comment

Originally posted by CYSA
        I jsut started witha shawl over my shoulders a
        Haaaaayyyyy.....dats how I lirnt too!! aye j/k!
        "I'd rather be @ a POW-WOW!"

Comment

What helped me the most was..... video. I used to ask family and friends how did after a competition. Most of them wouldn't give me an honest opinion for obvious reasons. The ones who were honest sensed my frustration and discouragement. Sometimes criticism is tough to take. Video helped me see it for myself. I improved quickly after I knew exactly what I needed to change.
          "I'd rather be @ a POW-WOW!"

Comment

What I have learned from my auntie about creating my own regalia is.... make it your own through color and design. I use books and other sources that reflect my hertiage to get ideas from, but I have an intense desire for my regalia to reflect my crafty self. Just start out with simple designs, especially with beading until you have the courage to be bolder with complex designs.
            Practice dancing with live powwow CD's at home like Hinckley, which has northen and southern style, that way you can hear the difference.

Furiously-Fancy, I never thought of video taping myself-good idea.
            Sometimes dreams are wiser than waking.
            -Black Elk

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by silverfeather
              I started dancing in regalia last year. I was taught that your regalia was a personal thing as well as a tribal thing. Your colors are something that is personal. The style is according to your tribal affiliations. I have sceen at least three other women who have used the same material that I have, just in different variations. Saw one young lady this past weekend who almost had her regalia the same as mine! Talk aobut scary! LOL She had a solid border on the enge of hers tho and it looked very nice. Her ribbon colors were opposite the way I had mine sewed on too. Anyway.......... I am a newbie too, so any tips from your ladies that have been dancing for a while would be greatly appreciated!

Just attended a powwow this weekend and entered my first competition. Boy was I nervous! didn't do too well tho, but hey it was my first time. :)
              I want to sew my own
              regalia some day.

Comment

regalia

i've been brainstorming on some ideas for my regalia. i've read a lot of good advice but i have one vital question....what if you don't know your exact heritage? is there etiquette on that?
                Knowledge is everything. Knowledge is nothing.

Comment

Duaghter new at Powwow dancing.

Hiya, everyone. I am new at this web site. I have some question I am hoping to get some help with. I have been out of the Powwow loop for some time now, but my daughter has been asking alot of question about her heritage and especially interested in her Native American grandmothers. She has just attended her very first Powwow, and I was very pleased that she felt the spirit of the Drum and danced. She is wanting to go to Powwow all the time now. I have no problem with this and have missed it horribly myself. She is wanting to know the best place to get ideas for her to design her regalia (Miami,Lumbee,Cherokee)? My question is, when you attend Powwow, is there usually protocal in letting the MC or someone know that you are dancing? Or is just being in regalia enough? She wants to go to competition Powwow someday but she has alot to learn first.

Thanks!

Comment

my biggest peace of advice for newbies?? For god's sake, avoid that damn simplicity pattern like the plague it is!!! If i see sixteen women wearing that same darn dress - you know who you are- at a powwow again, I'm gonna scream! and at least learn HOW to dance before you step in that circle. take your time, research, have respect, and patience. People who just rush and half a$$ things piss me off. It's insulting. I take my time, I have pride in myself, and in my people's distinct culture, and I expect others in the arena to as well.
                    Mad Scientists Union Local 42
                    Evil Geniuses For a Better Tomorrow

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stages
                      Hiya, everyone. I am new at this web site. I have some question I am hoping to get some help with. I have been out of the Powwow loop for some time now, but my daughter has been asking alot of question about her heritage and especially interested in her Native American grandmothers. She has just attended her very first Powwow, and I was very pleased that she felt the spirit of the Drum and danced. She is wanting to go to Powwow all the time now. I have no problem with this and have missed it horribly myself. She is wanting to know the best place to get ideas for her to design her regalia (Miami,Lumbee,Cherokee)? My question is, when you attend Powwow, is there usually protocal in letting the MC or someone know that you are dancing? Or is just being in regalia enough? She wants to go to competition Powwow someday but she has alot to learn first.

Thanks!
                      there is some protocol. defer to the head staff, it is usually a good idea to ask if you don't know, and if it is someone's coming out, you should certainly let the AD and MC know, because you will be doing a giveaway for the dancers and staff of the powwow.

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.

Comment

Thank you

By a "give away" you mean that when a new dancer is in regalia for the first time, it's a special event to some extent? I will certainly notify the MC. I think she will learn as she goes also. She really feels right at home dancing around the Drum.

L;o)

Comment

Originally posted by Stages
                          By a "give away" you mean that when a new dancer is in regalia for the first time, it's a special event to some extent? I will certainly notify the MC. I think she will learn as she goes also. She really feels right at home dancing around the Drum.

L;o)
                          Heck yeah it is a special event. who is sponsoring your daughter in? because they will be integral in the giveaway and honoring.

Comment

Giveaway..

Yea, I realized what that was after I gave it a thought, it's been a long time. My daughter has no sponser, we live in a area of few and far between LOL. Indiana. The Powwow's aren't real close to have a family that would. I will just introduse her to the MC at the next Powwow and take a token of our appreciation. Our Tribal affiliation is diluted also, I have it, but on no Rolls. My daughter represents her father's Miami and Cherokee and my Cherokee and Lumbee. She is wanting to read about those Nations to create her Regalia. I am proud of her. Thanks.

Comment

If its anyting I have learned from Dancers... who have been in the circuit fer a long time is like Dues said.. take your time and be patient.

i was soo excited to have my girls dance upon thier request and I startd to hustle around and collect the things i would need to start on their regalia. I noticed Myself becoming anxious and feeling like "oh my gosh!!".. hehe.. I was worried that i had to have it finished by a certain time and date and was just all frustrated in myself.

I had to really step back and think. Luckily I talked to a few freinds and told them how I felt.. I also came here and read a few thoughts from other dancers. I came to the conclusion that YES i will take my time.. i will be prideful in my work and I wont be rushed into it.. and then sat my girls down and explained the process. I was relieved that they understood.. ad man Did i feel alot better. I So enjoy beading and reading and learning all that i can from my friends and people here @ pWs.com. Thanks to all those Patient people here that have always had sum real good advice, your posts were not in vain!!!hehe

Furious has a good point.. My friend also does that, videotapes himself.. or at least he did.. and he said he learned alot.

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

OH yes the Stress

OH yes, I understand that stress, I have alot of Irish on my Dad's side, so my daughter does the Irish Dancing also, and she competes at "Feis" pronounced Fesh. The Academys and the competitions she goes to are horribley stressful with all those mothers that have to have the best dresses and school ect, they even have to wear these big currly wigs! She still dances in Irish for demonstration though.

Josie, my daughter wanted to dance for her "Grandmothers" I think it's great because there is far more meaning and Spirit in Powwow. I can't say that the dresses will be any less expensive though. Josie wants to do Fancy Shaw, she has her Shaw and knows what colors she wants to use. She does want some Jingle in her dress though, is that appropriate to have a little jingle in Fancy Shaw?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.