No announcement yet.

Dancin Tips 4 Beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you mean shawl, not Shaw. a shawl is a garment, Shaw is a noble and dignified family name from an ancient lineage, namely my Grandfather's. I am a Shaw, a person of good breeding, not an article of clothing.
    Sorry, but i've been getting this alot lately, and I guess i just wanted to straighten things out on behalf of my family and myself.

As you were.
    Mad Scientists Union Local 42
    Evil Geniuses For a Better Tomorrow

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.

Comment

Originally posted by DeusExMachina
      my biggest peace of advice for newbies?? For god's sake, avoid that damn simplicity pattern like the plague it is!!! If i see sixteen women wearing that same darn dress - you know who you are- at a powwow again, I'm gonna scream! and at least learn HOW to dance before you step in that circle. take your time, research, have respect, and patience. People who just rush and half a$$ things piss me off. It's insulting. I take my time, I have pride in myself, and in my people's distinct culture, and I expect others in the arena to as well.

thanks for the info. and no, i haven't gone out and gotten the simplicity pattern! i have my own ideas, i do my own beading, and i have a plan i'm in the process of carrying out. i just wasn't sure if there was something i should do as one of diluted blood (a mutt actually) more than what i was planning on. just wanted to make sure i have covered all bases. thanks for the reply. and yes, i'll be practicing before entering.
      Knowledge is everything. Knowledge is nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by silverfeather
        I started dancing in regalia last year. I was taught that your regalia was a personal thing as well as a tribal thing. Your colors are something that is personal. The style is according to your tribal affiliations. I have sceen at least three other women who have used the same material that I have, just in different variations. Saw one young lady this past weekend who almost had her regalia the same as mine! Talk aobut scary! LOL She had a solid border on the enge of hers tho and it looked very nice. Her ribbon colors were opposite the way I had mine sewed on too. Anyway.......... I am a newbie too, so any tips from your ladies that have been dancing for a while would be greatly appreciated!

Just attended a powwow this weekend and entered my first competition. Boy was I nervous! didn't do too well tho, but hey it was my first time. :)
        i've only been to two powwows (exsept when i was little i went to a few)
        my first one last year at my tibe was awsome i borrowed my grannies regaila and shawl and fan and moccasins ....yeah anyway and i entered my FIRST compitition the second day and got 2nd (note i'd only been dancing 2 days LOL) i was in total shockthe second powwow was still my tribe i had bought my own regaila from a lady (muh powwow momma) and made my own fan and a lady the previous powwow gave me a shawl she had made that looked really cool and my pawpaw's moccasins were handed down to me so, i got out there and danced i got third place in a group of girls half my size LOL (note i'm 13 now look17-18 was 12 then and looked 16 these girls were like 10 11....yeah i still get mad sometimes but that's ok but just a thing for people newer then me, it not a competition it's dancing for your ancesters and just happen to maybe get money at the end oh and HAVE FLIPIN' FUN this year 27-29 in May i'll be attending our memorial day weekend powwow again and i'm making a new shawl and might edit my regaila a lil with some beads
        so yeah i've rabled...if you have any sugestions for me then lemme know
        Last edited by powwowgirl4life; 04-26-2005, 02:36 AM.
        WHO I AM

Comment

Ooook

Originally posted by DeusExMachina
          my biggest peace of advice for newbies?? For god's sake, avoid that damn simplicity pattern like the plague it is!!! If i see sixteen women wearing that same darn dress - you know who you are- at a powwow again, I'm gonna scream! and at least learn HOW to dance before you step in that circle. take your time, research, have respect, and patience. People who just rush and half a$$ things piss me off. It's insulting. I take my time, I have pride in myself, and in my people's distinct culture, and I expect others in the arena to as well.
          um yeah one my regaila is very diffrent from others and if i see it's the same i'll change it....but some bead work or something on it witch i plan to do anyway....of AND i started learning in intertribals and practiced on the side and at my grannies apartment before i steped in 'that' circle i have alot of pride in my people and in myself
          WHO I AM

Comment

Hi
            Avoiding train wrecks in the dance area too.
            Asema Is Sacred
            Traditional Use, Not Misuse
            Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
            OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

yeah, but that chit is just funny, ennit?
              Mad Scientists Union Local 42
              Evil Geniuses For a Better Tomorrow

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.

Comment

Tips for Beginner

My suggestions to you as a beginner is to learn the structures of the songs well... to dance well one must understand the songs... when the honor beats are and what you should be doing... learn about the push-ups and about "dancing on the song"... this will alert you to when the song is ending and enable you to stop dancing at the appropriate time.

Hold your head high, watch your Head Lady and follow her lead... Never, ever start dancing before her, this would be a disrespectful thing to do to her and an embarrasement for you.

Ask an elder for advise if you like her dancing.

As to your shawl fringe... PRACTICE... do not bounce when you dance traditional.... it is smooth and elegant. It will come as you learn... it just takes practice!

I hope this helps!
                I urge all our Indian brothers and sisters to act decisively and boldly in our present situation to end the destruction of our sacred traditions, to preserve the purity of our precious traditions for our future generations, so that our children will survive and prosper in the sacred manner intended.

Comment

Originally posted by NancyJo
                  Ladies, watch the head lady dancer especially during Grand Entry. I think it looks good when all the ladies follow the head ladies steps.....dip when she dips, step when she steps. Otherwise you get this sort of this sort of 'down when she's up, up when she's down' calliope look. haha Looks more graceful when all the ladies are moving the same.
                  I would have to disagree. Big time. If you do this,and especially if MANY women do this at the same time,it looks like ducks in a row. Something like this:
                  And I'm sure that makes the head lady feel like this:
                  And the audience is like this:

That is a big DON'T.
                  Dance your own way. Listen to the drum. Don't think about the people *out there* watching you. Think about the drum. Listen to the beat. Don't try to be perfect out there. Just act like a lady. And most of all,be humble.
                  Ask me why you should breastfeed for your health, your baby's health, and for the health of the next seven generations.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle
                    List some dance or regalia, anything tips and etiquette for begginning dancers!!!
                    And tell how much experience you have.

Here's one: stop with the drum;)

Anything you have will definitelly help new ppl like me!!
                    Wa-do!
                    <---- another one of my names up here...too bad i cant remember passwords :)

but to answer my own post from 3 yrs ago: dance as much as you can and have fun doing it, dont be afraid to ask questions when in doubt, and always be respectful

Comment

I don't know about anyone else but I step out just ever so slightly to the side with each step.

Comment

My Grandma Madge Stabber told me to dance in the arena as if I were one of the most beautiful woman in creation, and to smile, because all the women around me were the rest. She told me to think about a prairie full of grass, blowing in the wind, the way it just rolls across the prairie, and to try to make my dancing blend right in. She told me that when I was in the arena, I was representing her and the rest of our family's women, as well as all Oglala women, all Native women, and to act accordingly.
                        She warned me about getting conceited, but not to mistake conceit with pride. Lakota women should always take pride in their appearance, especially when role modeling for her children. These lessons have stuck with me through 25 years of dancing. It is a beautiful honor to dance, so enjoy the priviledge to know what you know, to be who you are, and have what you have. Dancing is for the people, so share yourself, beautifully.

Comment

Tips

Originally posted by Blackbear
                          Don't follow my lead at a powwow..I suck LOL!
                          hmmm... you don't wanna go following my lead either

Originally posted by White Powwow Dancer
                          Hi
                          Avoiding train wrecks in the dance area too.
                          Thanks WPD ... very good advice for a beginner. It is important to be aware of dancers around you in the circle, especially during intertribals when there are small children dancing with the adults and it is crowded.

I learned by watching from the side.... later I practiced the steps outside where I could still here the drumming... once I felt comfortable that I could join in the dancing I did. Maybe that isn't the way it's supposed to be done... it's just the way I did.
                          "Liberty is the one thing you can't have unless you give it to others."
                          ~ Wm A White

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
                          some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
                          some have weird names, & all different colors,
                          but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon

Comment

Yeah, Mazola......your right.
                            I guess that didn't really come out the way I really wanted it to. I guess what I really meant to say was that if you're a beginner and still learning and want to dance....you can glance at an experienced dancer....or even a head lady to help you find the beat if your unsure. But don't base your dance on them.
                            But by all means, learn the songs.......learn the steps......watch a LOT of dancers .....and practice practice practice.

I think the day I posted that we had just been to a pow wow, and I was dancing in at grand entry, and had a lady in front of me that was totally off beat. I kept thinking, "I wish she'd listen better to the drummers or at least look around and realize she's off beat....because, gah....she started making me off dizzy"!!!
                            haha!!
                            I think she was totally in her own world.....dancing to the beat of her own drum!!

Comment

Traditional

I started dancing intertribal with a shawl...I watched and listened...each year my regalia became my design reflecting my tribal designs. My color is a personal color it's the color for healing. The color (lavender) was introduced by the Euorpeans, and they used the color on Porcupine quill boxes. It was a bright brilliant color and so part of healing for me so I decided it was my color. I know I wasn't using the four Traditional colors. So far I havn't heard anything from the elders yet. I made my moccasins out of buckskin, also with the beaded tribal design.
                              I love all the advise that was given...I think as long as we don't forget why we are dancing everything will work out...Pray Softly!

P.S. For our tribal ways, it wouldn't hurt to consult an elder occasionally..."Best Historians Around."

Comment

Why Dance?

I have danced for a very long time, in two years I will be a golden age dancer( not looking forward to that) but ask your self "why am I dancing" just before you inter the circle arena that has been blessed before you step one foot in it. I always remind myself why and who I am dancing for, sometimes it was my son who was in Iraq fighting and his buddies, or for a certain Elder,for the Children, Mother Earth... I remind myself that my footsteps are like heatbeats on Mother Earth telling Her I still Love Her and my footsteps tell her I have not forgoten Her today...when your heart is right, not worrying how you look, but are you receptive to the Ancestors calling and do you want to hear them in the Drum, and see them in the Eagle flying over you... Just remember it is an Honor to dance, and many men and women have paid a price before you so you can tap the heartbeat...
                                I Love my wife and my life... How come there is never enough time to do the job right but always enough time to do the job over...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.