Dancin Tips 4 Beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pray Softly & Give Thanks

I Offer & Pray everyday. Dancing is my Church...It's My place where I can go and Pray and Give Thanks for everything that was gifted to me from my "Gisoolk". I will alway dance with my Tobacco Bag. When I'm at a Gathering I watch all the Dancers & Drummers and can't get over of all the prayers to "Gisoolk'.
    "What A Feeling!"

The last two Gathering I dance in Golden Age, I realize that they just seperating categories. Age has nothing to do with it...Right! I am young as I Feel!

Our regala should be personal,reflecting our Tribe.

Comment

You are right Dancingbear, your as young as you feel!!!!!
      I Love my wife and my life... How come there is never enough time to do the job right but always enough time to do the job over...

Comment

Wuliechsin's advice

If you are new to dancing, I will encourage you to watch dancers at powwows that you like. Do not be afriad to go up to dancers and ask questions. If you want a photo of a dancer PLEASE!!! ask them first. Keep in mind if you plan on making an out fit, that the desgins and colors are family or tirbal orientented. So do some research before you begin. Aslo dance from your heart and because you love too and you feel good when you dance. Philamayae
        Last edited by _wuliechsin_; 02-27-2007, 04:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
        Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.

"Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

“We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

Comment

Remeber what you have learned... don't get scared when your in the arena and start watching other dancers... this will tell the judges that you don't know what you are doing... and keep your back straight... I hate it when I see girls dancing cloth and they are slouched over... it looks like you don't care about what you are doing... Show some pride!!!!!!
          Also, stay on beat even if you have never dance northern(just southern) you should still be able to feel the beat... this is what I think is the most important but who am I... I only have about 5 years experence... :(

Comment

Oops was I invited?

So there I was just dancin' my little heart out and the lady next to me asked what style I was dancin'...well now...that's not good...it was "open" dance for none competitors and we were all doin' our own style...but maybe mine was alittle too my own and didn't fit..or I'm a clod hopper and "got no" rhythum...so when I got home I asked...got some Help found out I needed the help real bad... but got Loved through it all... I don't want to compete... I just don't want to embarrass my family though... All the dancers here at powwows.com have really helped with their experience and sharing hearts...isn't that "Pow Wow"?... well I hope to dance soon...

Comment

Originally posted by DeusExMachina
              yeah, but that chit is just funny, ennit?
              s'up ??? and yup it is...lol
              UR CHIT IS WAY FUNNY ,too.lmfao. I have truly missed reading ur posts .
              thanks so much for being the whacked genuis that you are

another "expose" , ennit?In ur own quiet but oh so brilliant way...
              Life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved

Comment

practice practice ,practice...

but most of all when u are dancing remember why...
                Life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle
                  i cant get my fringe to swing!! maybe i should bend my knees lower?

LOL swing? no honey chile', we mean SNAP....LOL
                  sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

Well what I was taught when I first decided to dance was to take a year talking to other dancers & learning from them. talking about the teachings, the dance & the regalia.
                    You can always tell who made their regalia last weekend!

By the time I had my regalia & did my first grand entery I( felt prepared. Still always learning & always getting better at my dancing.

Northern trad: (live to far noth to know about Southern to help). We don't bounce we bend at the knee. Very slow & graceful, (1 beat bend down, 2nd up). Keep your feet on the ground, your head high & back straight. Listen for the honour beats (& gracefully raise your fan) also listen for the ending. Practce at home. If your doing it right that shawl & fringe will fly! A new dancer should always be behind the more expierenced dancers so watch them, you'll figure out quickly who you think kicks butt. Take some tabacco & go talk to her for assistence.

Also give yourself time to go to the fire before grand entery to offer your thanks, cause if your not there for that why are you dancing?

Suzze

Comment

HAHA! i got one...when i first started dancing, i listened to the song, not the beat. if you dance southern~ DON'T BEND OVER ON THE PICKUP!! man, i did that once or twice and i felt like a bonehead!!!! how embarrassing!
                      ~+ +~
                      Just breakin it down!

Comment

Originally posted by DeusExMachina
                        For god's sake, avoid that damn simplicity pattern like the plague it is!!!
                        Is it the pattern, or the people using it? As with any pattern, it is meant to be altered to the wearer's tastes/traditions. Just because it shows one pattern of ribbon placement doesn't mean you have to use it. I would say that there are even more people wearing the dress made from the Missouri River pattern, but people don't seem to mind that. Why? Probably because people who buy patterns from JoAnn's tend to think they must recreate the exact article of clothing shown in the picture in the pattern book, right down to the exact color scheme and adornments. This is not the intent of a pattern.
                        J.L. Benet

Comment

i want to learn how to cloth dance first, befor dressing in outfit
                          Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 02-27-2007, 02:37 PM.
                          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

Originally posted by 2lineCarrandMorgan View Post
                            i want to leard how to cloth dance frist befor dress
                            When I was a little girl I would pratice in my room ,in front of the mirror, put on a tape and dance away, i was wierd i know . But ive givin some tips to beginners, all I said was stand there feal it in your heart and dance, and if you like watch the other ladies that look like thay know what they are doing, watch the Head lady dancer she was picked for a reason ,and should be a good example to go by.
                            I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
                              Well what I was taught when I first decided to dance was to take a year talking to other dancers & learning from them. talking about the teachings, the dance & the regalia.
                              You can always tell who made their regalia last weekend!

By the time I had my regalia & did my first grand entery I( felt prepared. Still always learning & always getting better at my dancing.

Northern trad: (live to far noth to know about Southern to help). We don't bounce we bend at the knee. Very slow & graceful, (1 beat bend down, 2nd up). Keep your feet on the ground, your head high & back straight. Listen for the honour beats (& gracefully raise your fan) also listen for the ending. Practce at home. If your doing it right that shawl & fringe will fly! A new dancer should always be behind the more expierenced dancers so watch them, you'll figure out quickly who you think kicks butt. Take some tabacco & go talk to her for assistence.

Also give yourself time to go to the fire before grand entery to offer your thanks, cause if your not there for that why are you dancing?

Suzze
                              I got scared for a moment seeing everyone talk about bowing during dancing, that I had thought I had been taught wrong for a second. Seems though I live in the south, I was taught the northern way. It's good to know where the style comes from.

I'm going to my second powwow ever this weekend, I'm nervous because last time some friend sand I were doing a different style than the rest and I felt out of place. I've gain some confidence since then, so I'm ready.

If you have any more advice on the this style of cloth dance, please let me know, I'm opena dn eager to learn more.

~Rissa

Comment

Originally posted by Rissa View Post
                                I got scared for a moment seeing everyone talk about bowing during dancing, that I had thought I had been taught wrong for a second. Seems though I live in the south, I was taught the northern way. It's good to know where the style comes from.

I'm going to my second powwow ever this weekend, I'm nervous because last time some friend sand I were doing a different style than the rest and I felt out of place. I've gain some confidence since then, so I'm ready.

If you have any more advice on the this style of cloth dance, please let me know, I'm opena dn eager to learn more.

~Rissa
                                hi and yea i though im supposed to bow on honner beats then on pick up start to move foward in step with drum,
                                Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.