Dancin Tips 4 Beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dancing

I have just started dancing cloth. I think the last time that I danced at a powwow was a long time ago when I was about 10. Now I am 20. Even though many people think that this is the most easiest category to dance, I think differently. While all categories have their challenges, with Southern Cloth I found that it is difficult to be gracefull and on beat. I am clumsy. I mean really clumsy. WHen I started dancing the thing that hurt me the most was my calves and my thighs.

Here is my tip.
    My sister told me to practice dancing whenever I have the time to. This helps me a lot.
    My brother, being a health nut, suggested to me to work out my calves and my thighs.

WHen I am climbing stairs in my house I stand at the edge with my toes on the end of the step. Then I push up to lift myself. I do this about ten times each step. Its hard at first but it really helps when you are dancing. My steps are more gracefull because my legs can handle it. Also biking can help with the thigh muscles. putting your gear on high or just plain biking up a hill can help build muscle on your legs.

I hope that this is helpful to someone who is having trouble with gracefullness. This tip really helped me out

Comment

?s about dancing

I am Eastern Miami. I have danced at Miami gatherings, but never at a Powwow, and I would like to do so. I'm working on my Miami regalia, which is cloth, but I'm not certain of how to fine tune my dance. I have watched the Aunties, danced with them. They all have a slightly different way about them. None of it seems to exactly follow any of the dance catagories that I've read about here. Also, everyone says to 'be yourself'. Well 'myself' has a bounce in my step, a slightly quick and light way about it, but it's not fancy shawl. Is that inappropriate? I don't want to offend or dishonor anyone.

Also, I've read here about sponsoring new dancers and give aways. None of my Aunties have ever spoke of it. I don't even know if they do it and I know that they dance at Pow Wows here in Indiana. I'll have to ask them, though.

Next ?'s Where in the line up of grand entry would Miami cloth be? With other cloth traditional?

Last question(for now..I'm sure I'll think of more) I read the tip on following a more experienced dancer in the arena. As one gains experience, it ok to not follow someone with more experience. Should one always be behind the head lady? I ask this because I noticed that people dance at different paces. Is it rude to pass people or ladies in your category who have more experience?
      Kindness matters

Comment

Originally posted by skip rabbit View Post
        Last question(for now..I'm sure I'll think of more) I read the tip on following a more experienced dancer in the arena. As one gains experience, it ok to not follow someone with more experience. Should one always be behind the head lady? I ask this because I noticed that people dance at different paces. Is it rude to pass people or ladies in your category who have more experience?
        I can't answer your other problems because I'm from Ontario 9although I'm guessing you'd line up with cloth but always best to ask your Aunties (a with the giveaway)

If you find you dance at a slightly faster pace I would suggest dancing more to the outside of the circle (that way your making a larger circle & will take longer to go around, just watch out for fancy shawl dancers, many stick to the outside so as to clear the tradish dancers. Also keep your steps close (looks more elegant too) that way your moving slower with out changing your natural movement. As far as your natural style of dancing I'd say that everyone dances slightly different cause were not all cookie cutter people, we're all individual, just so long as your keeping your feet on or close to the ground.
        I myself generally do not pass other dancers, especially the head lady. i dance trad powwows so we don't have to show off to judges or anything so sometimes someone may slow down or speed up to dance by an old friend & chat a bit
        Suzze

Comment

When I was just a Tiny Tot...my Kathla always told me to just put my hands on my hips and bounce around...I musta done right...I always won a couple dollars
          HOWDY HOWDY HOWDY!!! LONG TIME NO SEE!!!

Comment

Hey Sask girly, thats a great suggestion about the stairs!! I usually try to use the stairs alot at work during the day to help build up my knees and calves, but I'm going to try out the standing on the edge and raising up and down!! Um, well, maybe I'll try that at home, if I get caught doing it at work I might get accused of goofing off!! haha

I think this may of already been said here in the thread, but I'd still encourage women to not use your shoulders or your arms to make the fringe on your shawl swing. If your dancing right, the fringe will move on its own. Keep your shoulders and arms still (but relaxed) dance your steps right and the rythm of your step/dip will get that fringe moving gracefully.

It also helps to stick your elbows out (like you would if you were standing with your hands on your hips).........that helps the fringe have room to sway.

Comment

Originally posted by DeusExMachina View Post
              my biggest peace of advice for newbies?? For god's sake, avoid that damn simplicity pattern like the plague it is!!! If i see sixteen women wearing that same darn dress - you know who you are- at a powwow again, I'm gonna scream! and at least learn HOW to dance before you step in that circle. take your time, research, have respect, and patience. People who just rush and half a$$ things piss me off. It's insulting. I take my time, I have pride in myself, and in my people's distinct culture, and I expect others in the arena to as well.
              Is that Simplicity pattern #5446?

Comment

Seriously! I am curious to know if this was the pattern that DeusExMachina meant:

Simplicity Historic 5446 Native American Dress Pattern - (eBay item 300155767303 end time Nov-26-07 09:02:27 PST)

Comment

Originally posted by neling4 View Post
                  Seriously! I am curious to know if this was the pattern that DeusExMachina meant:

Simplicity Historic 5446 Native American Dress Pattern - (eBay item 300155767303 end time Nov-26-07 09:02:27 PST)
                  I believe that is it

Comment

Thanks Creewoman05!
                    Last edited by neling4; 11-22-2007, 12:47 AM.

Comment

I am one of those with issues about dancing in my tribal style. I am Cherokee, but cannot bring myself to ever don a tear dress. Many of them are beautiful and I am not disparaging those who wear them, but to me they say assimilation and the loss of our culture. I wear buckskin or cloth with buckskin fringe.
                      By the way, so no confusion, I am the fancy dance cutie's Mom!

Comment

Cherokee Tear Dress

Originally posted by dancingirl49 View Post
                        I am one of those with issues about dancing in my tribal style. I am Cherokee, but cannot bring myself to ever don a tear dress. Many of them are beautiful and I am not disparaging those who wear them, but to me they say assimilation and the loss of our culture. I wear buckskin or cloth with buckskin fringe.
                        By the way, so no confusion, I am the fancy dance cutie's Mom!
                        You did not say what band of Cherokee you are.The Tear Dress was adopted by the Cherokee Nation (Western). The Eastern Band did not adopt this style of dress. I am of the Eastern Band so I wear a tee dress, or a ribbon work dress done in Cherokee colors. I also have buckskin but it is not practical for the warm climate I live in now.
                        Walk softly on Mother Earth

Comment

Originally posted by Traditonal Lady View Post
                          You did not say what band of Cherokee you are.The Tear Dress was adopted by the Cherokee Nation (Western). The Eastern Band did not adopt this style of dress. I am of the Eastern Band so I wear a tee dress, or a ribbon work dress done in Cherokee colors. I also have buckskin but it is not practical for the warm climate I live in now.
                          I have relatives from the Eastern band, but my Momma was from Oklahoma. Tallequah. Unfortunately she was raised like so many, to deny her heritage. To even speak of it within her family was a beating offense (Grandpa was euro-trash), so I've spent the last 18 years learning. That may be the reason I have a problem with the tear dress!
                          Maggie Littlejohn

Comment

I have relatives from the Eastern band, but my Momma was from Oklahoma. Tallequah. Unfortunately she was raised like so many, to deny her heritage. To even speak of it within her family was a beating offense (Grandpa was euro-trash), so I've spent the last 18 years learning. That may be the reason I have a problem with the tear dress!
                            Maggie Littlejohn
                            OMG. I am so sorry about your grandpa. I guess I was lucky that my granddaddy wasn't at all like that. He was "whiter than sour cream" and one of the sweetest men I have ever known. His children by his Cherokee wife, my grandma, grew up proud of their heritage, both white and Cherokee.

I am on a learning quest rather like yours. I was raised with more of an emphasis on the European side of my heritage, although, thanks to my dad, I am very aware of my Cherokee heritage. I want to know more.

I think this cloth dance is very beautiful, although I suspect it has nothing to do with Cherokee culture. I have some questions about it which I hope someone will answer. Can anyone tell me if one needs a sponsor to begin dancing?

Comment

Maggie Littlejohn
                              Sorry to hear about your grandfather, but from what I have heard that was the "norm" in those days. My grandfather said that if you mentioned that you were Cherokee it was a reason to send you to Oklahoma. He passed on the oral history to me and was careful to the end of his life not to mention it outside of the immediate family.

Comment

Originally posted by neling4 View Post
                                OMG. I am so sorry about your grandpa. I guess I was lucky that my granddaddy wasn't at all like that. He was "whiter than sour cream" and one of the sweetest men I have ever known. His children by his Cherokee wife, my grandma, grew up proud of their heritage, both white and Cherokee.

I am on a learning quest rather like yours. I was raised with more of an emphasis on the European side of my heritage, although, thanks to my dad, I am very aware of my Cherokee heritage. I want to know more.

I think this cloth dance is very beautiful, although I suspect it has nothing to do with Cherokee culture. I have some questions about it which I hope someone will answer. Can anyone tell me if one needs a sponsor to begin dancing?

You are right, cloth dancing has nothing to do with Cherokee culture. It is a very beautiful dance and we have come to adopt it as one of our dance styles when we are at inter-tribal powwows.

No you do not need a sponsor to begin dancing. However you may see an elder dancing that inspires you. I would suggest that you go to her, offer her some tobacco and tell her that you would like to learn. As always, be very respectful!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.