No announcement yet.

Dancin Tips 4 Beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you so much, Traditional Lady! I appreciate your help.

I also have a question about the regalia. My family moved from North Carolina to Virginia before the removals, so I don't think the tear dress is even appropriate for me. What would be the traditional regalia for Eastern Cherokee for this dance?
    Last edited by neling4; 12-19-2007, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neling4 View Post
      Thank you so much, Traditional Lady! I appreciate your help.

I also have a question about the regalia. My family moved from North Carolina to Virginia before the removals, so I don't think the tear dress is even appropriate for me. What would be the traditional regalia for Eastern Cherokee for this dance?

You are very welcome!

As I said before the Tear Dress was adopted by the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma, not the Eastern Band. I would suggest that you wear a Tee Dress in colors that reflect your family.

My family also moved to Virginia before the Trail of Tears. What part of Virginia is your family from?
      Walk softly on Mother Earth

Comment

Thanks again for the information Traditional Lady.

I was thinking that I would make my dress of red fabric. Does there exist a pattern for the tee dress? I am planning to make a finger-woven belt as well, and I am trying to find a pattern or kit for center-seam moccasins. I am thinking I should keep my regalia very simple, since I am just beginning.

Does the shawl have to be a solid fabric, or could it be a print, and is the purse necessary?

Sorry for all the questions. It is really nice of you to take the time to help me out.

My family moved to Castlewood, Virginia, in Russell County. It is in what is called the "Toe of Virginia", near the Kentucky border. I am related to the Taylors, Sextons and Dyes of that area.
        Last edited by neling4; 12-19-2007, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neling4 View Post
          Thanks again for the information Traditional Lady.

I was thinking that I would make my dress of red fabric. Does there exist a pattern for the tee dress? I am planning to make a finger-woven belt as well, and I am trying to find a pattern or kit for center-seam moccasins. I am thinking I should keep my regalia very simple, since I am just beginning.

Does the shawl have to be a solid fabric, or could it be a print, and is the purse necessary?

Sorry for all the questions. It is really nice of you to take the time to help me out.

My family moved to Castlewood, Virginia, in Russell County. It is in what is called the "Toe of Virginia", near the Kentucky border. I am related to the Taylors, Sextons and Dyes of that area.
          Unfortunately there is a pattern, it is a Simplicity "Halloween Costume". I say unfortunately because it is considered a costume. I think red is an excellent color. I have one that is red with roses on it.

You can order a kit from Crazy Crow Indian Craft suppliers. They are in Texas but you can "Google it" and order online.

Yes the shawl should be a solid color, preferably out of gabardine material. The purse is optional.

My family escaped the Trail of Tears in NC. They lived in SW Virginia (Cumberland and Buckingham counties) in the 1800's, then in the late 1890's they moved on to NY. They are the Lightfoots and the Jones.

No problem with the help. It is good to see other Cherokees share the love of dance. My daughter, my older sister and I are the only ones in the family who dance.
          Walk softly on Mother Earth

Comment

I think I own that pattern.

I've heard of Crazy Crow and I will check them out. Thanks!

I guess I will be the only one in my family to dance, unless my daughter joins me.

Comment

I usally attend a powwow once or twice a year in my area.. and I have always danced in the intertribal when the mc anouces all can enter. The only thing I have right now is shawl that was givin to me as a gift 10 years ago. So I carry my shawl with me when I enter the circle. I am wanting to create my own regalia which I have been putting toghter as time goes by. From what I gather and read on read it doesnt matter what the regalia looks like as long it is of your own design right?
              I havent got any beadings on my outfit does there have to be any beading? I want to get my dance out fit toghter before the next powwow and I want to dance traditonal. But I am so scared I will get loked at funny for the way I design my reglia.
              My family heritage is irish,dutch,german,french,seneca,catawba,and lumbee and to be honest with I am not sure exactly how my regalia should be. Or maybe I should just shrug it all off just continue to dance with just my shawl during all can inter circle?
              We are all from the same tree, Just different branches..All we really have to do once in awhile is climb down out of that tree and take a good look at the whole tree.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.