X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Cloth Dress

Where did this type dress come from?

What Tribes were southern dancers?

Which is the original Tdress or the shirt and skirt?

Why bow for honor beats?

How did most of you choose to dance southern?

not askign so much for myself jsut thought to put a new thread out there and see what others knew and would share....
    Well will wonders never cease.....

Well, this style of dress comes from the Southern plains tribes, the tribes that had the dance within their tribes(not all tribes had the drum and these particular song, so just to be southern does not give you the right to dress or dance in this form). Ponca, Pawnee, Kaw, Otoe, Sac&Fox wear the two piece dress with the ribbonwork that tells their tribe, clan, family, etc. You can tell which tribe is which by the style of their ribbonwork,shirt, skirt,etc.
    Cheyenne, Arapaho, Kiowa and Comanche wear the Tstyle dresses but the style differs and you can tell their tribe by their leggings, moccasins, belt bags(they hang different according to your tribe), etc. Also by their aprons, which are different also, They also use certain colors that represent their tribes along with certain beadwork designs.
    Choctaw/Chickasaw have the dresses that have the apron similar to the aprons we see that are modern(like cooking aprons) I don't know a whole lot about the origin of their dress even though my mother in law is half chickasaw, they have their own dances that are not pow wow dancing.
    I was brought into the arena in Ponca at Whiteagle as were all of my family. My mother is full blood Ponca and we were taught about the arena from both my mother and father. My family is very strict in the wearing of the ribbonwork and designs. My mom can spot a phony a mile away. haha She can read a design according to tribe and family and will walk up and ask you why you have a certain design on your dress and who gave you the right to wear it, or what family are you from..she is very strict.LOL
    The ribbonwork designs are handed down and the clans,families, and tribes know their own designs so when they see you dancing, they know who you are, or where you are from just by looking at your design. Even if you make a new design, the different tribes have guidelines you follow as to what area you are from and how your skirt, shirt and ribbonwork is made and placed.
    Just being from the South does not mean you are from a tribe that has been brought into the dance arena. And when in Oklahoma, we know the difference.
    As for the going down on the honor beats..this is what I was told. The arena used to be just for men, women danced on the outside only(this is still done in the ceremonial dances) and after the last big war, women were allowed to enter the arena and when the drums do the down beats, or honor beats, this is when the song is telling the story of the warriors and the men are being honored and they hold up their coup sticks or eagle staffs and the women honor that by putting their head down because this is the men's arena and they are respecting this part of the song and the accomplishments of their men. Nowadays it is more stylish and put into the competition, but the arena belongs to the men and the songs are theirs and we are to honor that.
    I am thankful for my grandparents, my parents, my brothers, my aunties and uncles, my children, my companion and all of those who influenced me to be strong and proud of being who I am and where I come from. Knowledge is power

Comment

WOW thanks so much for all the info sltate!
      Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

We are the Omaha in Nebraska and we also dance this same style. We wear ribbon skirts and blouses. We are not in oklahoma but we do dance southern style,the same with our songs. They are considered southern style.
        undefined[SIZE=3]undefineR Tweety Rez

Comment

(Well, this style of dress comes from the Southern plains tribes, the tribes that had the dance within their tribes(not all tribes had the drum and these particular song, so just to be southern does not give you the right to dress or dance in this form).) Good response slt. We always forget about the northern Southern tribes. I know some of these Okies don't like other tribes dressing their style, even those in Oklahoma, let alone those not from Oklahoma. Give me back those days when you could tell what tribe a person was from the way they dressed. Nowadays, every Thomasina, Willamina, and Harriet wants to dress Okie style.

Comment

LOL Well, we have relatives from the northern country who wear the ribbon work and have their own style of dancing. I have Ho-chunk and Mesquakie relatives who dress in the same style but their dance is different(scrubbing or washboard) and they usually dance with northern traditional or northern cloth at the pow wows that have northern cloth. Verna BlackDeer(I believe that is her name) is awesome. You can tell their style of dress, it is different yet the same. Their designs are beautiful, I mean beautiful, and some of the ladies do dance southern style, but when I have been to pow wows up there that have southern categories, they have always danced with traditional instead of southern cloth. I believe Bianca Whitecloud and Bridget Whipple dance with us as well as a few other ladies, but the majority dance with the traditional ladies rather than with "southern cloth". I have not been to Nebraska in a long time, they have the same style and songs as Oklahoma(since the Poncas were removed from there and sent to OK, the songs would be the same).
            I am thankful for my grandparents, my parents, my brothers, my aunties and uncles, my children, my companion and all of those who influenced me to be strong and proud of being who I am and where I come from. Knowledge is power

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X