Should I try this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I try this?

I have read ya'll's messages, and I have a few questions... I am not of Native American decent, but am very interested in the culture. I am in a Living History venture crew and would like to go to pow wows and dance and compete, but first I would like to know if this is appropriate. I do not want to offend anyone, so I thought I would ask. Also... if it is appropriate, how can I go about making my clothing more authentic considering I have only the internet to go off of. Your help and advice in these matters are greatly appreciated!
    Throughout life we will all be lead our separate ways... we just need to remember that the center of the universe doesn't move and that God's will shall be lived even if we don't want to go on that particular path.

Are you able to travel? The Carolina Indian Seminar that is held in NC every Jan. is great for beginners who are still learning. There is a mix of white, indian, black, you name it there and we all get along well. It is put on by AICA with behing the scenes help from an OA Lodge.

I have no Indian ancestory either, the pow wows I have attended have been a mix of all races and everyone was welcome. I can't travel far from home, so the pow wows I attend are very limited. With your being from Texas, you may find a larger variety of pow wows to check out.
    Sheila

Comment

i dont know any dancers without any native blood, but i have heard of some pow wows up north where its like all white so who knows. although ive never seen a black man do one of those scottish jig things but im glad to hear ur interested

Comment

ipchica - depending where intexas you are, there should be some kind of NAtive comunity center or gatehrings listed (even on the internet) go check them out, for first hand help.
        Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

:) Thank Ya'll for Ya'll's help! I'll check the boards. I can't go to other states, but I can go to different parts of TX. Thanks again!:Wave
          Throughout life we will all be lead our separate ways... we just need to remember that the center of the universe doesn't move and that God's will shall be lived even if we don't want to go on that particular path.

Comment

Personally I don't see a problem with it as long as you are respectful. Nowadays I've seen alot of non-native dancers. I just caution you to research every article of clothing so that you don't offend certain dance socities.(sp) That part might be kind of hard but try to ask questions as much as possible in a respectful way to people. Go to pow-wows and ask dancers questions, but DON"T TOUCH! That is really rude to some people.
            But if you do this in a good way, then you will appreciate it more in the long run.
            Good Luck and see you on the Trail!
            Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X