need osage advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need osage advice

Ok you all know that my daughter is part osage..and her father wants her plumed and all and I have been working on her dress for some time now... Anyhow I have a question about moccasins..I can make the meatpies easily, but I was wanting some input on something I had an idea about. I have this beautiful red deer hide to make me some moccasins out of and there is plenty to make her some out of it too, but would she be looked at funny for having red moccasins? They would go with her out fit so very nicely. My people would'nt have a problem with this ..but not sure about her Osage side ... do any of you see a problem with her having red moccasins?
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

I don't know too much about women's clothing. What I do know, is that the color red is a special color. To the knowledge of my family, that belongs in both the pawhuska and hominy districts, the color red can only be worn by the first son or daughter. My father is 72 years old, and he has never wore the color red, because he was the youngest in his family. You could ask the person who named your daughter, because different clans have different ways. Just like straightdancerinaz, I've seen different colors worn too.

Comment

thanks to both of you... Well yes she is pawhuska district I believe, and she is not only the first but the only at the moment LOL!! I just needed to know if she would be looked at funny for wearing red mocs cause I am not totally knowledgeable about beliefs, customs or traditions on this side..learning as I go and have learned alot so far. She has'nt been plumed or named yet..that is why I am making her , her clothes now so that she might have this done next year..she's only 4. Up till now she is has only been dressed haudenosaunee.

Straight...COOOLNNESSS...man if you guys have'nt seen his work...take a look in the gallery..this guy does some awesome fingerweaving!!!!
      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

not sure of her family. ask the elder ladies of her family. Hope maybe we can be at the Pahuska dance this coming year.
        BOB

Comment

Bob, you do know her family.... Adams

Comment

My niece is Osage (from Grayhorse District). I have always heard that about the red broadcloth - it is worn by the oldest child.
            Osage mocs are very simple to make, you just bead a very small medallion on the toe and edge bead the flaps. They look so good w/ the broadcloth leggins ! I have made several pairs for Chay (my niece) and other friends & family. I haven't seen any red ones but, go ahead & try it...see how they turn out !:) :)

http://spaces.msn.com/members/purplemartins/

Comment

Yeah, I know them Adams. Terry's my brother. He also helped raise my Son In Law in Tulsa.

Why don't you go ahead and make the red mocs and just see what they look like. They may really look good. Mostly I've seen Yellow and Green colored mocs. I don't know how red the red deer is. Sorry I've never seen any.
              BOB

Comment

Well actually I asked the matriarch of the family and she said to ask Shawna LOL!! I went ahead and made them though, I can always make her a more appropriate pair later or when she outgrows these. Tomorrow I attach the rosette and edge bead them and then I will take a pic and post...please let me know what you guys think ok? I think they will look very good considering her blouse is the same color of red and the skirt is turquoise blue broadcloth. I just wanted to make sure that I was'nt makeing something that would be considered inappropriate.

Comment

Turquise yarn for her belt? Need any leather for it? We just got some strips in turquise blue, to braid my daughter a new belt for her turquoise turtle purse, we have some left over, if you want a few strips to braid a belt! The strips are pretty long, we can probably cut some for you if you like!
                  Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

Osage gals wear a fingerwoven belt Tsiniti....but thank you for the offer

Comment

What colors and pattern is her belt going to be. I personnally like the diamond back pattern or even the double chevron. Turquoise with red, yellow, green and white would look gooooood. Are you going to finger weave this belt yourself? Don't forget to make the fringe for the back ties long enough to hange.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
                      BOB

Comment

I know that Shawna and Terry can help with some good advise.

Good luck!!
                        BOB

Comment

Well, Shawna said she did'nt see any problem with it...so here is a pic of what they look like...let me know what you guys think.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Is that the deers natural color? I've never seen that in Buck skin. They don't look bad
                            BOB

Comment

I think they look pretty good !:):):)
                              Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X