question for southern dancers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for southern dancers

I've got a question. At powwows, theres always the southern dancers that wear a crown whether it be with southern buckskin or southern cloth. my question to you ladies is what does the crown represent? it may seem silly but ive always wondered why southern traditional wear crowns. also what is the reason for looking down at the ground during honor beats. I just want to understand.

thanks
    andrea

the crown

well I'm an older dancer, and I earned the right to wear a crown by winning our tribal princess contest wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back when I was a teen. Back then the old people were very strict, only those girls who had won a princess title wore crowns. Today, I wonder when I see ALL those with crowns did they earn those???? Its not just an accessory, its an honor earned. I think its a nice way to give young women a way to earn a honor. Our traditions have meanings and are very beautiful.. I have a very special memory of when I was crowned, that was a good year, I still remember the honoring song sung when I gave up the crown and the give away my family put together.....it always made me try to live up to all the family & tribal love that was shown to me that year.
    undefined[SIZE=3]undefineR Tweety Rez

Comment

Originally posted by tweety_rez
      well I'm an older dancer, and I earned the right to wear a crown by winning our tribal princess contest wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back when I was a teen. Back then the old people were very strict, only those girls who had won a princess title wore crowns. Today, I wonder when I see ALL those with crowns did they earn those???? Its not just an accessory, its an honor earned. I think its a nice way to give young women a way to earn a honor. Our traditions have meanings and are very beautiful.. I have a very special memory of when I was crowned, that was a good year, I still remember the honoring song sung when I gave up the crown and the give away my family put together.....it always made me try to live up to all the family & tribal love that was shown to me that year.

tweety,

So is wearing a crown a fairly new adoption of southern tradition? Indian princess crowns are not something your great, grandmother's wore. These crowns came about with the "modern Indian princesses."

What's your take on this?
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I was told way back when I was younger the only way I or anyone else could wear a crown was to be a Tribal, Organization or Past Princess. When I first received the honor of being princess I had to go through a ceremony and get the blessings of my family. Even my nieces and cousins to this day have to go through this before they can except the honor.
        To me now days I see numerous little children, teens and adults as well as elders wearing crowns. Some of them I know for a fact have never been a princess. Now with so many doing this you wonder who really is a past princess? It also makes one wonder what has our traditions and teachings have now come to?
        Sure it cool to wear a crown and feel like you are a part of the society of current and past princesses, but what are you portraying to the younger generations? To me seeing this going on gives one the idea that it's ok to break or bend the rules because everyone's doing it.
        Some of you might agree to this and some of you might not, but my oppinion is that you should have been or been a princess to wear the crown. I still believe in the ways I was brought up and I believe that this is the way it should be.
        'A'a i ka hula kahika, waiho ka hilahila i ka hale.
        "One who wants to dance the ancient dance, must leave their bashfullness at home"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X