T Dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T Dress

You know.. I realized I don't know much about the T dress. Anyone, can you tell me a bit of the history about this dress? Where does it originate from, does it have any special representation? I always like the Tdress.. it looks comfy LOL! I'm not saying I want to go out and make one to dance in.. just want to know more about it.
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

I wear a T- Dress

I Im not real sure where they started i have heard It was Kiowa dress, Kiowa cat could be a big help here, But im Cheyenne and I always saw the ladies in my family wear their T-Dresses when they were not in their Buckskins saving their buckskins for evenings and special occ. And they are comfy I think compared to the wool dress's that I have and are alot cooler . I hope to have a new one for when im Head-Lady in a couple of months.
    I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
      Anyone, can you tell me a bit of the history about this dress? Where does it originate from, does it have any special representation? ....just want to know more about it.
      BBear,

I fit into the category of 'anyone!' *L

T-Dresses are a conversion of the "functional, utilitarian dresses made out of buckskin."

The cuts in the undersleeves of functional everyday, dresses made of buckskin, allowed women of childbearing age to easily feed their infants.

This same cut was adopted for the same purpose once cloth was introduced.

While some tribes adopted european styled sleeves, the Kiowa, Comanche and Plains Apache retained this original cut in their cloth dresses.

A dress with the open undersleeve is sometimes referred to as a "wing dress."
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

So there's nothing really more specific than it replaced buckskins and the sleeves are cut this way particularly for child feeding?

Darn, thought maybe... or hoped maybe there was more to the story LOL! What you see iroquois wearing these days is a cloth moderation of our buckskins too, except for the top.. buckskin tops for us were best described as a buckskin fringed poncho.... if we wore any top at all. LOL!

So is the T dress tribal specific to anyone? I take it it's a northern style dress since the southern is the two piece with ribbonwork right?
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
          So is the T dress tribal specific to anyone?

BBear,

*L almost every tribe went topless in the summer - "in prehistoric times."

White people don't laugh. ..... in prehistoric times - so did your people!

--

Sorry, there is no religious, mystical story behind the T-dress. *L It was made for functional use.

Today's stylized one-piece dresses are distinctive. . . If you know what to look for.

There ARE differences between the Kiowa and Comanche T-dresses, just as there are differences between say,,, Yakama and Crow women's cloth dresses.
          Last edited by WhoMe; 02-09-2006, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I nursed my little ones that way

Ihad aspecial made dress that had velcro on the sides and when baby needed to eat I un did the velcro and slipped him in so I could dance and feed him when he needed it but not at the same time lol we always went to the bathroom
            I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

I agree with WhoMe about the t-dress. I would like to add however; that my people call ours wing dresses because the arms of the dresses are usually cut an angle so the end of the sleeve is actually wider than the width between the neckline and the underarm. When I make my wing dresses; I make the wing really obvious.

Comment

that's interesting WWoman

hey BBear...I agree with what WhoMe is saying 'bout Tdresses originating as functional wear...no special significance...yadayadayada....BUT, if you're worried about steppin on anybody's toes, I do know that certain colors or color combinations may be dangerous ground...for example, a black bodied dress with red sleeves and red gussetts (the long skinny triangles sewn into the side seams that form the tabs below the hem) are society-specific for Comanche gals...let's see, and for Osage, only the first born child is allowed to wear red tradecloth...stuff like that...

one of my gramma's called 'em "tab-dresses" (cuz of the gussett thingy I mentioned before), but some other tribes don't put in the gussetts or tabs...some just sew tabs to the hem without the gussetts....

confused?????
                sigpic

See my trading post ads
                See my photo gallery
                See walela49's myspace page

Comment

I think it would be great if some of you all could post some photos. We had a couple people in a thread awhile back ask about the differences in these dresses.

Thanks BB for starting this......
                  "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

LOL I was'nt hoping for something mystical or spiritual story wise... just something like maybe the story of who made the first tdress or something you know... how it spread through the plains and maybe like.. when it first started appearing. History ya know.

I do know of tribal color specifics, particularly the osage one cause of the osage guys up here.. but that comanche gal coloration is good to know. Black and red are common colors used up here with the haida/tlingets, and red and black are bear clan colors among the tuscaroras.

I do know what you mean about a gusset.. but I agree with Mato. Maybe we should have some pics or links to pictures to explain this further.

Comment

In prehistoric times, us white people were covered with hair, didnt need clothing.

Some of us carry residual hair from that period. (not me of course)
                      There are 2 types of people in the world...
                      Really stupid people who think they are smart
                      and
                      Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Originally posted by billyjoejimbob
                        In prehistoric times, us white people were covered with hair, didnt need clothing.

Did somebody say....

BRAIDED ARMPITS!

YIKES!

Comment

Originally posted by billyjoejimbob

Some of us carry residual hair from that period. (not me of course)
                          You sure? Ok then is this a relative of yours?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.