Cherokee style Tear Dress no longer for Eastern band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherokee style Tear Dress no longer for Eastern band

It will be in an upcoming Council meeting that a old style of dress will be introduced and accepted as dress for the Eastern band.
    Well will wonders never cease.....

yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!
    'bout time!!!!!
    sigpic

See my trading post ads
    See my photo gallery
    See walela49's myspace page

Comment

'Siyo,

This is a related question.

I saw a picture of a Miss Indian America taken in the 1970's where she was wearing a (for a lack of better words) a fully white plumed cape? This cape was draped over her shoulders and extended to the ground.

Then in the 1990's I saw a Miss Indian USA wearing the same cape?

Both were Cherokee.

Is this cape worn traditional in the Cherokee culture?

Who has the right to wear one?

I do have to say these capes were spectacular and kinda' regal looking!
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

mostly only worn in council meetings

like the war chief and peace chief only wore thier cape during council same for the beloved woman,
        you could not expect people to wear feathered capes everyday for everyday activities/life

Comment

I've seen brown ones...what's the difference in white or brown???? jus' wonderin'!! LOL
          sigpic

See my trading post ads
          See my photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by walela49
            I've seen brown ones...what's the difference in white or brown???? jus' wonderin'!! LOL
            walela,

I saw artist's paintings of Cherokee men wearing full capes made of turkey tails. Is this what your referring to?

The two princess's I mentioned also wore the Cherokee tear dress underneath their capes.

If the Cherokee were to have a "traditional" dance contest, what would they dance to?

Comment

yup...that's what I meant...jus wonderin if the different colors meant something special...or worn at different times...or by different clans or something like that??????????
              sigpic

See my trading post ads
              See my photo gallery

Comment

If the Cherokee were to have a "traditional" dance contest, what would they dance to? They'd Stomp!!

red was for war chief brown was for the chief white was swan feathers for the woman
                Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

Originally posted by FancyStar
                  If the Cherokee were to have a "traditional" dance contest, what would they dance to? They'd Stomp!!

red was for war chief brown was for the chief white was swan feathers for the woman

FStar,

Do Eastern Band Cherokees still have traditional stomp dances or stomp dance grounds?

Are the colors you mentioned above, used by a woman as colors in her tear dress, mean anything?

Comment

i for one think its a good idea if only to distinguish them from those other people...

but hey they they dont wear it any more what will those other people wear when they say they r cherokee at powwows....hmmm??
                    Oh yeah, I used to know Quentin...He's a real...He's a real Jerky

~Flat Beat~

Comment

Originally posted by Emmy
                      i for one think its a good idea if only to distinguish them from those other people...

but hey they they dont wear it any more what will those other people wear when they say they r cherokee at powwows....hmmm??
                      all those people you're talkin about are gonna be some kinda mad! i think its interesting and would like to see a pic whenever it gets decided, pretty cool!
                      TARHEEL BORN, TARHEEL BRED, WHEN I DIE I'LL BE TARHEEL DEAD!

MizzQaqimat's Space

Comment

Do Eastern Band Cherokees still have traditional stomp dances or stomp dance grounds? there are two here

Are the colors you mentioned above, used by a woman as colors in her tear dress, mean anything? the colors above don't have anything to do with a tear dress, the colors of a tear dress are personal choices....

Comment

Originally posted by ~*~MizzQaqimat~*~
                          all those people you're talkin about are gonna be some kinda mad! i think its interesting and would like to see a pic whenever it gets decided, pretty cool!

ooo i cant wait to see their faces when some1 says u know the ebc no longer wear this form of dress...
                          Oh yeah, I used to know Quentin...He's a real...He's a real Jerky

~Flat Beat~

Comment

Originally posted by Okwataga
                            It will be in an upcoming Council meeting that a old style of dress will be introduced and accepted as dress for the Eastern band.
                            Finally! I was told by my elders that these were made for us by the missionaries because we showed too much skin. I have never been comfortable wearing a tear dress.
                            Walk softly on Mother Earth

Comment

Originally posted by FancyStar
                              white was swan feathers for the woman
                              Hmmm..... I think this might be why WhoMe asked if EBCI has stomp grounds..... of course there's also a difference between a place where stomp dances happen, and a ceremonial ground with a fire, medicine, etc. Cause at those kinda ceremonial grounds in OK, that's not necessarily what the white feathers are for - the feather dance uses white feathers (crane, mainly), but doesn't really involve women in a direct way.

I'll defer to a member of such a ceremonial town for any elaboration, as they'd be more qualified than me to explain if that's even appropriate.
                              Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.