:Help - Need any help I can get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :Help - Need any help I can get

Hello ladies. Ok I am not a cloth dancer,... so Im looking for you pro-cloth dancer opinions. :Help

I have a cousin who has always danced with me since we were little girls, she slowed down alot until came to a hault after she had her son. She is Rhumathoid Arthritic (since the age of two) she is now 22 yrs old, and has a strong desire to dance again. The thing is she cannot dance Jingle or Fancy Shawl because of her arthritic condition. I dont know how she would be to wear a northern style buckskin dress either because of the weight it would have on her shoulders and spine. So what I was thinking was to make her a cloth style dress, because it would be a lot easier for her to handle on her body. So now my problem is, cloth dresses traditionally were not worn by Ojibway women, to my knowledge anyways...
    What would be appropriate for her to wear? We are masters at the machine so dont go easy on us :Naughty ......
    Any help would be greaty appreciated. :Help
    NO MY EYES REALLY DONT LOOK LIKE THAT........ THATS ME AS A BRATZ DOLL ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:

Actually, the Ojibwe did have a cloth dress. It is basically a tube with shoulder straps at the top. Then there were separate cape-like sleeves which fastened in the front. This dress had some beadwork trim and edging on it and was made of wool or velveteen. Its an uncommon dress style but is definitely Ojibwe. I'll see if I can round up a photo so you can see what I'm talking about.

Comment

Thanks Czechy I have no idea what you are talking about though, lol. I havent seen any dresses like this ever I dont think.. but it would be great if you could find some

Comment

The tube dress with the shoulder straps is called a "strap dress." A fellow powwow.comer, Jingle_Mama, mentioned this dress to me also. I saw a pic of it and it looks like it would be really light weight.

Depending on how serious her Althritus is... you could make your friend a cloth dress with some buckskin fringe. The cloth dress is way lighter than the beaded yoke. A cloth dress with some floral applique work on it would be sweet!! I've seen many Ojibway women with these style of dresses.

Check out the link for the pic of a strap dress. I'm trying to picture the second dress..but.. I can't. Czechy.. hope ya can post some more pics.

http://www.north.ecasd.k12.wi.us/Dep...strapdress.jpg
        Last edited by Miss_Nish; 02-18-2003, 01:00 AM.
        ~* Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to *~

Comment

Yeh those Ojib strap dresses are truely beautiful. I have not seen one around for quite a while tho, I just remember watching the grammas in grand entry when I was just a kid, those dresses always stood out nicely.

Comment

Is that like a tank top top?

Comment

Yeh, in a tank top style but then it has a cape that goes over it, and you can see the upper back, there's a picture of it in the "swing away" thread.. I'd put the link on here but I'm strapped for time. lol.

Comment

I was looking at the picture in the URL, it reminded me of a sun dress I used to have, I wonder if this is wwhere they got the idea for alot of the strap sundresses in the 50's and 60's, and some worn today?
                Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

Here's an old example made of wool at the North Dakota Sate Historical Museum.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I forgot to mention that the above dress is decorated with ribbons and beadwork in the "ottertail" design.

Comment

Here's a diagram of the basic dress parts:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Then here is another option, a beaded blouse and skirt made of cotton and velveteen which I think looks really pretty. Also from the NDSHM:
                        Attached Files

Comment

My very first powwow dress was a strap dress. Very lightweight and comfortable. You can get very artistic with the ribbon and beadwork. The caped sleeves are also very nice in the middle of summer! I also have a pattern of sorts some where around here, if youd like I can try and find it and scan it for you :-) Not sure if I have any photos or not. I'll look in a bit :-)

Comment

Thanks ladies for all your help, I have seen those dresses... it was kinda hard to figure out the picture from the descriptions though, lol I was thinkin like a strappy dress or something, lol.

Anyways this wouldnt be her first time dancing, when we were in our early teens we used to dance shawl, but since then we have both put on weight and after she had her son her arthritis has gotten worse.

Anyways ladies thank you very much, I really like the pics you've all posted, might as well keep whatever comin anyways eh? Just to reminice ;)

Comment

I was asking my momma about these dresses.. AND she used to wear them all the time when she was younger. Her dresses were made with lotsa lovinn' by my Kokoom. So, Jingle Mama... I'll be making one. Ya happy now. hehehe.. :D

Good Luck on ur project Eagleclan.
                              Last edited by Miss_Nish; 02-22-2003, 12:04 PM.
                              ~* Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to *~

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X