Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumbee Patchwork

there are a lot of Lums on these boards
    so how do you make your patchwork dresses??
    and how do you accesserorize?

Personally, I don't really care for them. I wear T-style dresses, as Lumbee is not my only tribe.
    Becky B.

Comment

me too...

I'd also like to know about the dresses that the Lumbee women wear. There is a little girl (6 yrs. old) who lives up here near me that is half Lumbee (she's a Locklear) that I take to powwows with me to learn something about her people.
      She is learning to dance, and I'd like to make something traditional for her, but I have no one close by to ask...:(
      My tongue got wrapped around my eye teeth, and I couldn't see what I was saying...

Comment

is that the long leaf pinecone design?
        that ya'll are saying is the patchwork?
        Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Yeah, that is what she is talking about. I can't remember but I don't think it is all that long I think it is supposed to show the view of the pinecone that would be like the bottom. That is my thoughts NO ONE elses! Ms. Lum91 may be able to answer the technical questions.
          Becky B.

Comment

I know how to do the patchwork, but it's too difficult to explain on a message board. If you're seriously interested and would like to know more, pm me and I will get you some information.

I stress the words...SERIOUSLY INTERESTED...! If you're only interested in criticizing the Lumbee or talking trash, please don't respond. I read enough of that trash on the board without having to read it in my pm's.

:D
            Becky G.

www.myspace/BeckyGoins

Comment

only reason i got that name is, was reading a book and had some pictures of lumbee youth in their dress, and that is what the writer had called it.

almost looks as hard as seminole patchwork!!
              Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Its really not that hard if you use a few "tricks" before you start sewing. A good iron and a lot of straight pins work wonders when you put the piece togethe. It takes longer to cut the pieces out, fold them and get them to lay right than it does to sew them.

I've done Seminole patchwork, this to me seems easier. Just as time consuming, but not as frustrating.
                Becky G.

www.myspace/BeckyGoins

Comment

Anitsi, I wasn't correcting you or anything. The "pinecone" is pretty and the dresses are alright for some people and for historical purposes they are good. I guess I am just a modern type girl (plus I am already short and squatty and don't need anything else to emphasize that!!);)
                  Becky B.

Comment

I kept thinking there was something online about Lumbee patchwork. There is ... http://www.lumbee.org/images/Patch.jpg

I'm a novice quilter, so I have a tendency to collect images of blocks that look interesting to me. This one looks just plain tricky! In quilting language (someone feel free to correct me), it looks like a zillion prairie points. That link has a picture of one patch, but doesn't show how the patch is applied to clothing or anything else.

Nagi
                    Be the change you want to happen.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X