Round Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round Dance

I NOTICED AT DENVER MARCH THAT DURING THE ROUND DANCES SOME WOMEN ON THE DOWN BEATS STOPPED AND DID HALF CIRCLES WHILE BENDING OVER SLIGHTLY WHILE OTHERS JUST KEPT ON DANCING. IS THERE A DIFFERENCE OF WHY THAT WAS DONE OR IS IT JUST THEIR PREFERENCE? THEY ALL LOOKED NICE THOUGH EITHER WAY.

:dontknow: :rainbw:

PEEKS ;)
    "Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

round dances during contests

I always bow on the honor beats during a round dance contest song...but not usually during social round dances. I was taught that you honor the drum anytime possible, especially during contests...without the drum, there's no dancing afterall!

my 2 cents worth
    sigpic

See my trading post ads
    See my photo gallery
    See walela49's myspace page

Comment

Yeah...i stop and do half circles and bow down. But i am going to change that when i dance buckskin...well...not really change it...just fix it a lil'.
      '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,
      SOUTHERN STYOZ
      '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,

Comment

...I thought this was another "virtual" Round dance ...:p but to answer the question I have seen more women go down on the beats. Some start "bowing" to the left and go to the right and then back to center again and rise up and go on their way.... sooooo beautiful!!!! Other's I seen just bow down but don't turn to the left or right...just bend at their waist straight forward.... but continue to round dance.... either way is pretty when I see it. :p
        Never squat naked in spurs

Comment

round dances

would this be a southern style thing or northern? I had never seen it done during round dances here. I can picture it though. I am a northern cloth dancer here in Alaska. It sounds like it would be a beautiful addition.
          If ya always do what ya always did then ya always gonna get what ya always got

Comment

I agree, it sounds pretty, I'd like to see that.

But around here(middle TN/KY area) we all stop during that time. Some will just stand in place, but their body is still moving to the beat, some stand still and raise their fan in salute. I follow what the female lead dancer does,(when she bothers to dance) and that seems to be as individual as the pow wow itself, but it is what I was told to do, by older women.
            Last edited by Tsiniti; 04-19-2003, 01:25 PM.
            Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

Re: round dances

Originally posted by lil anna
              would this be a southern style thing or northern? I had never seen it done during round dances here. I can picture it though. I am a northern cloth dancer here in Alaska. It sounds like it would be a beautiful addition.
              Bowing on the honor beats probably is a southern thing. Most of the northern girls I've seen don't bow during straight songs or round dances down here either. Some of 'em raise their fans. I've never seen a southern cloth or buckskin raise a fan. We figure that's pretty well restricted to you northern girlies!;)
              sigpic

See my trading post ads
              See my photo gallery
              See walela49's myspace page

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X