"cheater shawls"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luvstraightdancrs
    A half shawl is completely different from a "cheater". You at least have fringe around 3 sides - with a cheater it's only on a space as wide as your forearm - consequently no weight - no movement unless you swing your arm or cheat even further by adding weights.
    I guess my cheater shawls are made differently from the ones you've seen. Mine are 45" by 40", and fringed on the top and bottom (the 45" edges) so that when the shawl is folded in thirds and folded over my arm, the fringe hangs from the bottom. Then I just tack the layers together so that the folds stay in place. I guess calling this a cheater shawl is deceiving because it's larger than it looks, but true, you can't wear it over your shoulders nor does it have fringe on four sides. The 45 inch edges folded in thirds creates six 15inch edges of fringe when it's all said and done, thereby giving the shawl enough weight to swing just fine. I never swing my arm, nor have I ever added weights (that would be cheating!) and my fringe swings great. I do like cheater shawls for my tradish outfits because they allow for a greater choice of fabric, more colors, and a more focused/centered/ornate applique design. Make any sense at all???

:39:
    sigpic

See my trading post ads
    See my photo gallery
    See walela49's myspace page

Comment

I haven't ever used a cheater shawl. Never will. I had never heard of ladies using weights either. Too wierd! The shawl is such an important part of a ladies outfit. I have seen some beautiful shawls with ribbon, applique, or embroidery work on them and they weren't cheater shawls. Sometimes I think that too many things are changing-not for the better. But then again, I am old school. Don't get me wrong, I love the bright colors and beadwork as long as it is done right. Just my opinion.

Lipan Lady (Betty) :)

Comment

How do fancy shawl dancers have cheater shawls?

Comment

HAHAHAHA

LOL

Danielle I was thinking that same thing! I think she means cuz alotta girls don't make them w/ fringe on all four sides n-e-more! I don't know, but I think thats what their sayin. That gets to be too hot though cuz then it has to folded in half also so its just more weight and heat on you.

Comment

Dang - Cheater shawls, plz get with the program. If its too hot or too much trouble dressing appropriately then don't dance.

Next thang you know the wannabes will be sundancing with portable air conditioners in their stalls. Whats next.

And leave the table runners to the table dancing Gawd. :p

Comment

Originally posted by SNAGgles
              Dang

Next thang you know the wannabes will be sundancing with portable air conditioners in their stalls. Whats next.

Life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved

Comment

Originally posted by SNAGgles
                Dang - Cheater shawls, plz get with the program. If its too hot or too much trouble dressing appropriately then don't dance.

True, so true. You've got alot of insight, brother;)

Comment

I have 1 and am getting two more made (along w/matching skirt, and ribbon and blouse).

Since i don't wear them draped over my shoulders and they go w/the skirt and ribbon that goes down my back i just use the specific shawl w/the specific outfit.

So why make the entire thing when its never unfolded anyways?

They're nice cuz you just grab it and go and don't have to worry about folding it and readjusting over and over.
                  The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Mine are the same way. My "cheater" is weighs more than my full size shawls and swings better.
                    Becky G.

www.myspace/BeckyGoins

Comment

FINALLY!!!! Somebody agrees with me! Wooohooo! Thanks superndngyrl and MsLum91...dang, I was beginning to feel like GAC at Little Big Horn. Wait..no...I'm not a blond haired white guy...uh...anyway, just wanted to get the pot stirrin'. Guess it worked!:Angel:
                      sigpic

See my trading post ads
                      See my photo gallery
                      See walela49's myspace page

Comment

I carry my full shawls for whenever I'm not dressed out (which seems like the majority of the time these days), but I will never give up my half shawls.

I don't even make new ones anymore. I make new panels and attach it to the old one. That way I can use the same shawl with more than one outfit. I don't know about other folks, but I can't afford to buy fringe everytime I make a new outfit.
                        Becky G.

www.myspace/BeckyGoins

Comment

Originally posted by MsLum91
                          I carry my full shawls for whenever I'm not dressed out (which seems like the majority of the time these days)
                          yeah me too. :6: :39: :czyeyes: :hey!:
                          The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl
                            yeah me too. :6: :39: :czyeyes: :hey!:
                            me 3.:D
                            Oh yeah, I used to know Quentin...He's a real...He's a real Jerky

~Flat Beat~

Comment

Originally posted by walela49
                              Southern cloth and buckskin ladies carry their shawls folded over one arm. Traditionally, this shawl is just the normal dance shawl folded neatly so that the fringe will sway beautifully as the woman dances. But many women are now carrying cheater shawls...not a full sized dance shawl...which is cut and sewn to fit the arm so that the dancer does not have to worry with keeping the folds straight and tucking all that extra fringe. My cheater shawls are lightweight with centered applique designs and fringe or ribbon only on the bottom edge. They are less expensive to make, easier to carry, and (in my opinion) neater and more tailored looking when dancing.

I still have lots of full sized shawls to wear with my fancy-dance clothes or over my street clothes, but I just like the looks of a cheater shawl on my arm when I'm in my tradish clothes.
                              Yup thats how mine are. THe thing is i made a new at the beginning of the month and this is sewed the two end together....so i can just slip my arm in and not have to worry about pulling it up....but yeah...they are alot cheaper. The thing is i stuff mine with like quilt stuffing and on some of my shawls i use about 3/4 of a yard of chainette fringe....and just sewit onto the bottom...but now i am just using ribbon.
                              '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,
                              SOUTHERN STYOZ
                              '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,

Comment

Who wrote the rule on how a woman should make her shawl? Obviously the people who don't agree on "cheater" shawls don't have to wear them or supply the material and time it takes to make a shawl. I used to dance fancy and there is no way I would put fringe around the whole perimeter of the material or have it so it folds in half. That's way too much excess fringe and material for no reason. Everyone who makes our uses those type of shawls should stop calling them "cheaters". That's just the way shawls are made these days.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X