Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spicysouthern
    replied
    I have family and gal friends that use these "cheater" shawls. And i think they look just as kewl. Like my sister says "I make my outfit the way I want it" and she places all the time. She uses both type of shawls. The "standerd" and cheater. And long as the shawl enhances her outfit and she gets that fringe swaying she still looks good. I seen many women with shawls like this. Out here in OK and all over the rest of ndn cuntry. I say stick with what you like ladies.

Leave a comment:

• luvstraightdancrs
    replied
    Who wrote the rule on how a woman should make her shawl? Obviously the people who don't agree on "cheater" shawls don't have to wear them or supply the material and time it takes to make a shawl. I used to dance fancy and there is no way I would put fringe around the whole perimeter of the material or have it so it folds in half. That's way too much excess fringe and material for no reason. Everyone who makes our uses those type of shawls should stop calling them "cheaters". That's just the way shawls are made these days.
    Danielle and the rest -- I don't think that anyone can say that Fancy Shawl dancers use cheaters. Their shawls are totally different than Southern Cloth. I agree that fringe on four sides of a Fancy Shawl is (for lack of a better word) a hobbiest thing.

I do wear and supply material for shawls...I make regalia for a living. So I am aware of the cost factor, weight, and whatever other lame reasons you have for using anything less than a full size shawl. I was stating a personal preference -- I like old school, always will. Like I said before just because everyone else does it doesn't make it right. Show me your skills when dancing - not that you can conform and do like everyone else.

And by the way - the shawls I am referring to are for Southern Cloth -- not fancy shawl. Two completely different styles. Therefore requiring different forms of design work and construction.

If everyone is so interested in carrying on the "right way" then why take short cuts?

Leave a comment:

• ~danielle~
    replied
    Who wrote the rule on how a woman should make her shawl? Obviously the people who don't agree on "cheater" shawls don't have to wear them or supply the material and time it takes to make a shawl. I used to dance fancy and there is no way I would put fringe around the whole perimeter of the material or have it so it folds in half. That's way too much excess fringe and material for no reason. Everyone who makes our uses those type of shawls should stop calling them "cheaters". That's just the way shawls are made these days.

Leave a comment:

• oOoSouthernStyozoOo
    replied
    Originally posted by walela49
    Southern cloth and buckskin ladies carry their shawls folded over one arm. Traditionally, this shawl is just the normal dance shawl folded neatly so that the fringe will sway beautifully as the woman dances. But many women are now carrying cheater shawls...not a full sized dance shawl...which is cut and sewn to fit the arm so that the dancer does not have to worry with keeping the folds straight and tucking all that extra fringe. My cheater shawls are lightweight with centered applique designs and fringe or ribbon only on the bottom edge. They are less expensive to make, easier to carry, and (in my opinion) neater and more tailored looking when dancing.

I still have lots of full sized shawls to wear with my fancy-dance clothes or over my street clothes, but I just like the looks of a cheater shawl on my arm when I'm in my tradish clothes.
    Yup thats how mine are. THe thing is i made a new at the beginning of the month and this is sewed the two end together....so i can just slip my arm in and not have to worry about pulling it up....but yeah...they are alot cheaper. The thing is i stuff mine with like quilt stuffing and on some of my shawls i use about 3/4 of a yard of chainette fringe....and just sewit onto the bottom...but now i am just using ribbon.

Leave a comment:

• Emmy
    replied
    Originally posted by superndngyrl
    yeah me too. :6: :39: :czyeyes: :hey!:
    me 3.:D

Leave a comment:

• superndngyrl
    replied
    Originally posted by MsLum91
    I carry my full shawls for whenever I'm not dressed out (which seems like the majority of the time these days)
    yeah me too. :6: :39: :czyeyes: :hey!:

Leave a comment:

• MsLum91
    replied
    I carry my full shawls for whenever I'm not dressed out (which seems like the majority of the time these days), but I will never give up my half shawls.

I don't even make new ones anymore. I make new panels and attach it to the old one. That way I can use the same shawl with more than one outfit. I don't know about other folks, but I can't afford to buy fringe everytime I make a new outfit.

Leave a comment:

• walela49
    replied
    FINALLY!!!! Somebody agrees with me! Wooohooo! Thanks superndngyrl and MsLum91...dang, I was beginning to feel like GAC at Little Big Horn. Wait..no...I'm not a blond haired white guy...uh...anyway, just wanted to get the pot stirrin'. Guess it worked!:Angel:

Leave a comment:

• MsLum91
    replied
    Mine are the same way. My "cheater" is weighs more than my full size shawls and swings better.

Leave a comment:

• superndngyrl
    replied
    I have 1 and am getting two more made (along w/matching skirt, and ribbon and blouse).

Since i don't wear them draped over my shoulders and they go w/the skirt and ribbon that goes down my back i just use the specific shawl w/the specific outfit.

So why make the entire thing when its never unfolded anyways?

They're nice cuz you just grab it and go and don't have to worry about folding it and readjusting over and over.

Leave a comment:

• Grits & Beans
    replied
    Originally posted by SNAGgles
    Dang - Cheater shawls, plz get with the program. If its too hot or too much trouble dressing appropriately then don't dance.

Next thang you know the wannabes will be sundancing with portable air conditioners in their stalls. Whats next.

And leave the table runners to the table dancing Gawd. :p
    True, so true. You've got alot of insight, brother;)

Leave a comment:

• LittleCricket
    replied
    Originally posted by SNAGgles
    Dang

Next thang you know the wannabes will be sundancing with portable air conditioners in their stalls. Whats next.

Leave a comment:

• SNAGgles
    Guest replied
    Dang - Cheater shawls, plz get with the program. If its too hot or too much trouble dressing appropriately then don't dance.

Leave a comment:

• ~+~Heya~+~
    replied
    HAHAHAHA

LOL

Danielle I was thinking that same thing! I think she means cuz alotta girls don't make them w/ fringe on all four sides n-e-more! I don't know, but I think thats what their sayin. That gets to be too hot though cuz then it has to folded in half also so its just more weight and heat on you.

Leave a comment:

• ~danielle~
    replied
    How do fancy shawl dancers have cheater shawls?

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X