X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby76
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by rwgirl

My dad was a champion straight dancer and he always said there are three things you look for when you are dancing, whether judging or just watching. These three things will tell you if that dancer knows their business: Regalia- you know what tribe they are just by their regalia Style-they know how to dance the style they are dressed as and know it well Knowledge of song-no matter what kind of song you sing them, they know it and can dance it. If you can't meet these three forms of criteria, what ever kind of shawl you carry is not an issue.

So, power to the cloth dancers..........half or full shawl. LOL
    That is very true if only more dancersand judges felt that way

Leave a comment:

• rwgirl
    replied
    hahahahahahahaha Ya'll are funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who cares if someone wants to wear their shawl however they want to wear it. Sometimes I get a kick out of just reading what extremes everyone will go to to make point that really isn't a point at all.
    Harold, if Luv's son can get out there and dance with the big boys, power to him, he is still under 18 and can ride the fence. I give him his props because I have seen him dance and he can compete with the big boys. Sounds like someone got offended because he dusted an adult in the contest arena.LOL
    I am a southern cloth dancer and have won many pow wows, in state-at home here in OK, and up north, down south, out east and can say what I think and get the props for it.
    I have used both kinds of shawls, and it is my timing that makes that shawl dance and whether it is full or half, it still goes..........

My dad was a champion straight dancer and he always said there are three things you look for when you are dancing, whether judging or just watching. These three things will tell you if that dancer knows their business: Regalia- you know what tribe they are just by their regalia Style-they know how to dance the style they are dressed as and know it well Knowledge of song-no matter what kind of song you sing them, they know it and can dance it. If you can't meet these three forms of criteria, what ever kind of shawl you carry is not an issue.

So, power to the cloth dancers..........half or full shawl. LOL

Leave a comment:

• BullcreekLdy
    replied
    Originally posted by piperchick
    (i did see the absolute cutest "cheater" shawl at the 2003 Univ. of TX powwow-- a very young (4ish?) cloth dancer had a shawl gauntlet sleeve so she wouldn't drop it or lose it :))
    I was at that pow wow. And I know who you are talking abuot that little girl was adorable..end of story. Lol

Leave a comment:

• piperchick
    replied
    For my personal use, i use regular size; i'm a big girl (often head and shoulders above my peers, wide and muscular), so anything thin looks out of place, and i prefer the way a heavier one moves.

As for the half size shawls, if it looks and waves right and you prefer it, then go on ahead:) your regalia is ultimately your creation and should look good on and to you!

(i did see the absolute cutest "cheater" shawl at the 2003 Univ. of TX powwow-- a very young (4ish?) cloth dancer had a shawl gauntlet sleeve so she wouldn't drop it or lose it :))

Leave a comment:

• walela49
    replied
    Originally posted by Pettus
    whether it's cheating or not to use a smaller sized shawl, who is the one to say!

let's see - most of the traditional way dresses were made say in the last ten years at least have changed dramatically - everything about pow wows and clothing changes they all go through change,
    at one time no one used rhinestones - now look you see them everywhere is that cheating too?

what about the fringe? or the material dresses are made from now?
    crowns you see alot more women and girls with crowns,excessive beadwork,

a lot of changes have gone on over the years, why not adapt the shawl?

Good thoughts.
    I was waiting for someone to make the rhinestone parallel....too funny!:Thumbs

Leave a comment:

• Babe
    replied
    Hey, as long as you know how to swing it!!!

...but yeah....my shawl can't be too lite...or too heavy...
    jus gotta know how to hold it the right way, swing it the right way, you know the deal

Leave a comment:

• BullcreekLdy
    replied
    Originally posted by luvstraightdancrs
    It's not just about competition. It's about the whole idea of a "cheater". It is just that. Not the way you shawl is supposed to be. About being hot - oh well, then you have to be hot. To me it's kinda like gourd dancing in shorts and a t-shirt. You are supposed to sacrifice a little for your ways -- so what if it's hot and sticky. Let's keep it real! Everyone is getting caught up in the "new old way". Just because a few do it doesn't make it alright. If you keep taking short cuts - you will loose your way.

Just my 2 cents.
    I totally agree with this, I am a southern dancer. And more than that I am from texas, If you want heat and humidity this is the place for it. But I was always taught that you have to suffer for your ways. Like my uncle always says, "Everybody wants to be indian but nobody wants to suffer." I watch other young ladies use "cheater shawls" and the thought has crossed my mind but truthfully the fuller the shawl the easier it flows and better it looks. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• 9Trotter
    replied
    Dang am I the only one here that's old school? And what's up with that lady using table cloths for shawls? If it's so bad that you get skin rashes and all that then maybe you shouldn't dance?! It's my belief that a woman dancing tradish should do so in the same manner our grandmothers did. With grace and dignity, regardless if you use a cheater/half shawl or not.

Leave a comment:

• luvstraightdancrs
    replied
    Lil Stinker, Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I pretty much have taken the ways of my husband and children. We live this everyday and it is okay. I do have strong feelings about the old ways.....sometimes it is a disadvantage but oh well -- my father in law was a great source for advise, as is my husband and our friends and family.

Although I am white - I have been adopted into two very loving indian families - one Kickapoo and one Choctaw. This summer I will be dressed in my husband's tribal regalia, something that I am looking forward to. I take these adoptions very seriously and do my best to be a good daughter, sister, auntie and grandma.

So if anyone has a problem with my posting my beliefs it's on them because everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I try to reflect what I was taught. But thanks again for the kind words.

Leave a comment:

• Okwataga
    replied
    whether it's cheating or not to use a smaller sized shawl, who is the one to say!

let's see - most of the traditional way dresses were made say in the last ten years at least have changed dramatically - everything about pow wows and clothing changes they all go through change,
    at one time no one used rhinestones - now look you see them everywhere is that cheating too?

what about the fringe? or the material dresses are made from now?
    crowns you see alot more women and girls with crowns,excessive beadwork,

a lot of changes have gone on over the years, why not adapt the shawl?

Leave a comment:

• LumbeeTurtle
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by MsLum91
    Actually my 'cheater' is heavier than any full shawl I've ever had. That's why it's more comfortable than any of my others. I like the heavier feel. It's easier for me to dance with a heavy shawl.
    id have to say i like the compactness of the cheater but mine extremely light which makes me work harder to get the fringe goin i think im gonna hafta add another layer or somethin to give it some weight:)

Leave a comment:

• MsLum91
    replied
    Actually my 'cheater' is heavier than any full shawl I've ever had. That's why it's more comfortable than any of my others. I like the heavier feel. It's easier for me to dance with a heavy shawl.

Leave a comment:

• luvstraightdancrs
    replied
    Harold, my son's just bumping up in age categories and he doesn't do it all the time. I would prefer he stay in teens but if he thinks he can do it then why not. If cheater shawls are okay with you then why not bumping up. I view it as trying to run with the big guns. If he was a grown man dancing in teens - then that would be cheating. The only way bumping up is cheating is taking the chance on not placing..

And yes, those shawls are cheaters.....They are short cuts trying to get the full effect in looks...trying to take less time in getting situated with your regalia before dancing and "not as heavy".

Leave a comment:

• Harold
    replied
    You know what amuses me about this thread? Luvs straightdancers is looking down on these shawls, calling them "cheaters" and she supports her teen son moving up into mens category and doesn't think that's cheating.

Like she says," If everyone is so interested in carrying on the " right way " then why take shortcuts?

Leave a comment:

• LumbeeTurtle
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by spicysouthern
    I have family and gal friends that use these "cheater" shawls. And i think they look just as kewl. Like my sister says "I make my outfit the way I want it" and she places all the time. She uses both type of shawls. The "standerd" and cheater. And long as the shawl enhances her outfit and she gets that fringe swaying she still looks good. I seen many women with shawls like this. Out here in OK and all over the rest of ndn cuntry. I say stick with what you like ladies.
    right on i agree
    plus whenever you get pressed for tim a cheater is faster! :)

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X