Question about teaching child to cloth dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about teaching child to cloth dance

My oldest daughter will be 6 this year. She is Ponca. We are trying to get some ideas on how to teach her to cloth dance. She has been doing it with her Grandmother, but she is not quite getting it yet. Any ideas would be great. Also if anyone had any good sites for ideas on Ponca designs for her beadwork and dress.

Thanks

Shawna

Originally posted by mom2ndngirls View Post
    My oldest daughter will be 6 this year. She is Ponca. We are trying to get some ideas on how to teach her to cloth dance. She has been doing it with her Grandmother, but she is not quite getting it yet. Any ideas would be great. Also if anyone had any good sites for ideas on Ponca designs for her beadwork and dress.

Thanks

Shawna
    She is still young the dancing will come with time, as far as designs does your husband have any family designs? or one they like to use? if so see about her useing that one. Ive seen real pretty pics on here of Ponka ribon work ,its really pretty, but im sure you know never to copy what you see off the net or anywherre else. Ive seen ribon work book sas well and I believe crazy crow carries one and ive seen them advertised in Whispering Wind magazine. Good luck on getting your lil one stylin!
    I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Aww thats so cute, she starting at a great age! Keep taking her to powwows, and let her do her own thing. She'll learn as she goes and formulate her own style! Dont wanna over teach her, ya know? Good job on supporting her so well, though! Way To GO!!!
      Ipsica Waci
      Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Comment

Ponca shirts have a tail on the back kinda like a sailor shirt. The ribbon skirts are real similar to what Otoes wear.

As far as dancing, just let her do her thing the way she is doing it. The important thing is to encourage her to be in the arena and to dance. She'll soon get how to do it so don't worry. She is only 6.
        The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Thanks all. I figured that is what I needed to do, but I wasn't really sure. I am really glad she wants to dance, plus it helps with my 2 year old because she wants to do everything that sister wants to do. We introduced them to the arena last year, but will do her formal give away next year when she is almost 7.

Thanks again.

Shawna

Comment

One more question for you all. I am not native american well I am but I am not on any role and all our paperwork was burned when my pa-pa was young and his parents died (okay that is another story entirely), but hubby is. When we introduce her to the arena formally and they do the dance to the family song, am I suppose to be out there too. If so I have a lot of work to do, more on me than her.

thanks

Comment

Of course be with her as she comes in she is your daughter! As far as her dance clothes go's you can add on here and there, plus remember she will be growing and will out grow tings pretty fast. And you can add to yours as well, no need to have everything all at once. Im 35 and still am adding to my stuff .
              I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Thanks. My mother-in-law is a big help to me, but she is really busy and I know she doesn't mind me bothering her, but since I found this website. It is a lot easier to post questions here on things that others can answer.

Thanks again.

shawna

Comment

You can just use a shawl. It doesn't matter if you're perfect. You're not contesting, you're just bringing your daughter into the arena. There's plenty of indians that don't pow-wow and dance so its not a big deal if you just come out in a shawl and aren't on beat the whole time. ;)
                  The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

For the dancing... each kid developes their coordination differently. Mine's 8 almost 9 and still can't get the step coordination down just right. Her body just does'nt seem to let her LOL! But she's better than she used to be.
                    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mom2ndngirls View Post
                      One more question for you all. I am not native american well I am but I am not on any role and all our paperwork was burned when my pa-pa was young and his parents died (okay that is another story entirely), but hubby is. When we introduce her to the arena formally and they do the dance to the family song, am I suppose to be out there too. If so I have a lot of work to do, more on me than her.

thanks
                      Yes, you are her mother, whether brown, white, yellow, black or green, a mother always stands with her child. WW

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X