Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing Fan Vs Tail Fan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wing Fan Vs Tail Fan

    I have a mature bald eagle wing fan, instead of a tail fan. Appropriate to use dancing southern cloth? Yay/Nay...

  • #2
    I'm not really sure how to answer this. I still use my flat fan that is eagle inmation feathers from when I danced jingle. I need to fix it though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by NCheyGirl21 View Post
      I'm not really sure how to answer this. I still use my flat fan that is eagle inmation feathers from when I danced jingle. I need to fix it though.
      I kind of feel like the "odd man out" so to say, all I have seen are tail fans. Don't get me wrong, I love my fan*big grins* Just wondering if tail fans are the "signs of the times" LOL

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Creewoman05 View Post
        I have a mature bald eagle wing fan, instead of a tail fan. Appropriate to use dancing southern cloth? Yay/Nay...
        I dont see why not . Go for it!
        I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          use what ever you like . Ive seen some real pretty pheasnat and macaw as well . I love the macaw ones because of all the bright pretty colors
          I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            The flat fans are very popular now maybe because of their more tailored look plus they can be finely decorated to match an outfit. Still, people use what they have. So if you like your wing, use it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Ive been wanting to add some color to my flat fan ,the handle is bit of an odd shape so I think peyote stitch is out but Im wanting to applique bead something thatis removeable but not be lost easily ,cause I have several dress's that all have different designs and Im aeverythings gotta match gal lol
              I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the replies:) Still using the wing fan!

                Comment


                • #9
                  wing fans are so pretty! Use what you like! post some pic lol im a pic junkie!
                  I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Eagle Plumes View Post
                    wing fans are so pretty! Use what you like! post some pic lol im a pic junkie!
                    Ok, I will do so! Pretty pooped from the powwow, man it sure takes alot to dance well, and especially when you are out of shape like I am I will post a powwow trip report in the next day or so.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wing fans are beautiful, I say use it.

                      Eagle Plumes: To make it go with different outfits, cut 2 pieces of hide (one for each side), punch holes & cut lacing to lace it to the handle, bead the pieces. Then you can make another (or how ever many you want) & unlace it to take off & but the next one on, this way you could switch back & forth fairly easily. The lacing would have to be small & well spaced to lace the top of the handle between the feathers, or you could make the top like a draw string & pull it snug around the top. Never tried this the idea just came to me when I read your post. Also to peyote stitch iregular shapes just drop & add beads as needed on the sides (both sides not just one), I found it tricky at first but picked it up quickly first time I did it.
                      Suzze

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
                        Wing fans are beautiful, I say use it.

                        Eagle Plumes: To make it go with different outfits, cut 2 pieces of hide (one for each side), punch holes & cut lacing to lace it to the handle, bead the pieces. Then you can make another (or how ever many you want) & unlace it to take off & but the next one on, this way you could switch back & forth fairly easily. The lacing would have to be small & well spaced to lace the top of the handle between the feathers, or you could make the top like a draw string & pull it snug around the top. Never tried this the idea just came to me when I read your post. Also to peyote stitch iregular shapes just drop & add beads as needed on the sides (both sides not just one), I found it tricky at first but picked it up quickly first time I did it.
                        Suzze
                        Thnak-you I will have to try that!
                        I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Eagle Plumes View Post
                          Thnak-you I will have to try that!
                          Your welcome, let me know if it works.
                          Suzze

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Use it!

                            Originally posted by Creewoman05 View Post
                            I have a mature bald eagle wing fan, instead of a tail fan. Appropriate to use dancing southern cloth? Yay/Nay...
                            I say use it! Cloth dancing is evolving at a rapid pace.

                            Walk softly on Mother Earth

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sound beautiful!

                              I have a Macaw fan-- long blue wing feathers and small yellow breast feathers. I love the way the colors glint in the sunlight and change shade. My husband spilled water on it at the last powwow. I saw firsthand how waterproof the feathers are. LOL!

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • CHEROSAGE
                                Fans
                                by CHEROSAGE
                                During the many Gourd dances that I've been to I have noticed many different types of fans used.

                                What type of fan(s) do you use?

                                I have a loose feather (Eagle Feather) fan and a wing fan(Eagle). Occassionally, I will use one of my Eagle flat fans. The occassions are different...
                                04-10-2007, 02:30 AM
                              • ahtaquaoweh
                                wing fans?
                                by ahtaquaoweh
                                What do you think of wing fans? I've seen them being carried by a variety of dancers, including straight dancers. What types of fans do you all use? I prefer a loose fan with eagle feathers...
                                02-24-2002, 06:12 PM
                              • ~*~MizzQaqimat~*~
                                Fan Styles
                                by ~*~MizzQaqimat~*~
                                What kind of fan do you use if you use one, tail, wing, or other?? I prefer using a tail fan, and I see lots of other jinglers using tail fans, and others using the wing fans. Which do you prefer and/or use?

                                Chenna
                                Tail
                                81.97%
                                50
                                Wing
                                14.75%
                                9
                                Other
                                3.28%
                                2
                                04-02-2003, 08:19 AM
                              • ogapahndn
                                Fans?
                                by ogapahndn
                                What kind of fan do most of you dance with? Around here I see mostly eagle tail flat fans. Just wondering if that is what everyone uses.
                                03-01-2002, 08:40 PM
                              • NotSoLarj
                                Turkey feather fan
                                by NotSoLarj
                                A friend sent me several wild turkey tail feathers, only 4 though.

                                They would make a nice flat fan but with only 4 I am not sure how to design it, what kind of dancer would use it?

                                Traditionally speaking, is a wing fan used for this dance, a flat fan for that? Are certain...
                                03-20-2009, 07:20 PM

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X