shawls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shawls

No this isn't a question from me, lol. I'm just seeing what everybody thinks about this. Do you prefer ribbon fringe or shawl fringe on your shawls? Do you do all 4 sides or just 2 sides?

I've only done 2 sides on my shawls but I have one shawl that is ribbon fringe and then another shawl that is shawl fringe and i'm working on 2 new ones for my southern buckskin dress and they both will have shawl fringe. I think I prefer the shawl fringe on mine because it looks better then the ribbon fringe. I'm thinking I might even redo the one with ribbon fringe and put shawl fringe on it. I've seen alotta shawls that have ribbon fringe on the 2 sides and there in different colors. It looks like nice but it wouldn't be for me.

I like flat fringe.
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

just call me old school but I prefer shawl fringe and on all four sides. I'm not a "cheater" shawl type either I like to be able to use it if I need to.

Becca

Comment

Chainette

I prefer the chainette. It looks so rich, and you can knot and bead it. it swings nicely with the beading.

Comment

Ribbon, chainette or flat fringe - it just depends on the look you want. Chainette is more old-time in appearance. If you want to use ribbon, try the 1/8" wide satin stuff on 10-yard spools. Tie it on like you would the chainette. Its nice and thin but has a good shine and weight to it. Flat fringe is thicker and frays easily unless you treat the ends.

I make both full-size and cheater shawls but prefer the full-size as it moves better on the arm and as nativedancer5 said, you can actually use it if you get cold. For full-size shawls, I fringe three sides.

Comment

Yea I decided I like the spool fringe better. It so looks good then the ribbon so I think sometime this winter I might redo my shawl with the ribbon and put spool fringe when i'm not working on my new outfit. I have my first shawl done to go with my new outfit and the 2nd one half way done so i'm gonna try to finish it tonite.

Comment

I go with ribon becuase it's just......prettier to me. I do all four sides though. It's more full and I like to wrap myself in it at cold powwows.
              WHO I AM

Comment

I would put fringe on all 4 sides. What kind of look are you going for? I personally like spool fringe, although my nieces really like ribbon fringe.
                Sometimes dreams are wiser than waking.
                -Black Elk

Comment

I like the chainette fringe, but if it hangs nice i dont mind the others . I remeber a lil fancy shawl gal who was just dancin away and I saw a few dancers lookin around and the lil gals flat fringe had caught on some hay and she had quite the trail, my husband and I helpd' her mom flame the ends so they wouldnt ravel.
                  I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

I put the spool fringe on my 2 newest shawls and then I redid an old one that had ribbon on it. So now I have 4 shawls with spool fringe on it and I think it looks alot better.

Comment

Evening Girls of all ages. I live in central Alberta and would like to make a new shawl with chainette fringe I used ribbon on my other one. I am having a really hard time finding any up here in Canada. If someone could give me some ideas I would very happy.
                      ClothDancer02

Comment

fringe sources

Originally posted by Barb View Post
                        Evening Girls of all ages. I live in central Alberta and would like to make a new shawl with chainette fringe I used ribbon on my other one. I am having a really hard time finding any up here in Canada. If someone could give me some ideas I would very happy.
                        Maybe some Canadian folks can help you out. But here are a couple of sources here in the USA....

Noc Bay Trading Company Store
                        Scroll to bottom of page.

Shawl Fringe- Spool & Chainette Fringe- Metalic Fringe- Shawl Fabric- Fringing Needles: Crazy Crow Trading Post

Wakeda.com Fabric, Fringe & Trim

Comment

Thanks lots for the info. Have a good weekend.
                          ClothDancer02

Comment

Originally posted by Czechy View Post
                            Maybe some Canadian folks can help you out. But here are a couple of sources here in the USA....

Noc Bay Trading Company Store
                            Scroll to bottom of page.

Shawl Fringe- Spool & Chainette Fringe- Metalic Fringe- Shawl Fabric- Fringing Needles: Crazy Crow Trading Post

Wakeda.com Fabric, Fringe & Trim
                            Don't forget to check eBay, too. I bought a full spool of nice, goldenrod chainette fringe, just the color I was looking for, from a seller in Florida. I paid $9 US for the fringe, plus about $5 for shipping. Crazy Crow would have been something like $18 for the fringe plus a minimum of $7.50 for the shipping.

You wouldn't have a big selection of color available on eBay, likely, but you might get a smokin' deal.

Comment

Thanks I have been watching ebay nothing yet. Thanks anyway. I am kind of sad more people from up here don't come on this site. I have learned alot from these forums.
                              ClothDancer02

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.