What do you use for ribbonwork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use for ribbonwork?

I'm taking the time-hungry plunge and planning ribbonwork (instead of just rows of straight ribbons) to my new tear dress. I need advise--
    1. what type of ribbon or material is good for this (currently, the plan is 4 color)...
    2. do you sew each layer to the dress or sew the ribbon pattern on a base ribbon and then attach it to the dress?
    3. any tips on making it look crisp and finished (or just doing it at all?)

Currently, this is my first and only dress...
    Attached Files
    I am me, and that's all i can be;
    no more, no less.

What pattern are you planning to use...........I don't believe they work "ribbonwork".

All I know of Cherokees wearing is like your photo or with the diamond design. To my knowledge it is done in two colors alone.
    I also believe that it is in cotton rather than satin or taffeta

This is just what I have observed...I may be wrong...Is so I apologize. I would probably look to other Cherokees.

Comment

i've seen the straight ribbons, plain diamonds, and holy cow complicated on tear dresses...
      from ppl i've seen (could be diff. elsewhere) ribbonworks's becoming more common on cherokee men's shirts, straight ribbons are becoming more common on the dresses (from what i've seen)...

I really like the look of ribbonwork, especially the additional texture it gives to an otherwise plain outfit-- tear dresses look kind of funny (IMO) with lots of beadwork or plains-style chestpieces...
      (quick note: ribbonwork started in the great lakes regions, spread south amongst the eastern woodland tribes, and then spread west to the plains)

my design right now (probably will change when i start cutting and decide on which color the dress is) is star diamond star diamond in alternating bi-colors, maybe with a tiny seed bead on each point for flavor. (i've seen that once and just thought it was so pretty, and i have a collection of rather old and varied beads-- one of my aunts was a hippy art professor and backpacked the world on grant money... i inherited her 10lbs of beads after she died from bad boyfriend).

-D
      I am me, and that's all i can be;
      no more, no less.

Comment

Since you apparently aren't going a tradishional manner - I would suggest you make your ribbonwork strips and then attach them to your dress. Process depends on how many colors you are using in your design.

Comment

What I did when I made my tear dress is used the ribbon binding that you would use for blankets or quilting. I layed them out flat and ironed them, then traced and cut out my design. It's looks very nice and you don't have to do as much work.:Jumping:

Comment

Originally posted by morningstarwoman View Post
            What I did when I made my tear dress is used the ribbon binding that you would use for blankets or quilting. I layed them out flat and ironed them, then traced and cut out my design. It's looks very nice and you don't have to do as much work.:Jumping:
            This is a super old thread, but wow, what a great idea!
            Ozhaawashko-giizhigag
            Proud of my adopted and blood heritages! Anishinabe, Cree, Dene, Metis
            Jingler

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X