Cloth Applique Crowns and accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth Applique Crowns and accessories

Are there any threads here that discuss cloth crowns and accessories for Southern Cloth outfits?

What do you think about cloth crowns and accessories and does anybody have any links to some good photos of cloth applique items?

Any special tips or info to share?

I've made a few cloth applique crowns. They are good for the younger girls who are still growing or for those who want more than one crown to match different outfits. The pics I have are all prints which I don't have digitized.

I would keep the cloth applique to larger accessories that won't get much wear. Shawls, crowns, purses would be fine but probably not a set of belt pouches, for example. Hairties and barrettes can be done in cloth but these tend to wear fairly fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Czechy View Post
      I've made a few cloth applique crowns. They are good for the younger girls who are still growing or for those who want more than one crown to match different outfits. The pics I have are all prints which I don't have digitized.

I would keep the cloth applique to larger accessories that won't get much wear. Shawls, crowns, purses would be fine but probably not a set of belt pouches, for example. Hairties and barrettes can be done in cloth but these tend to wear fairly fast.
      Thanks Czechy, you are an for replying so fast!

I have only done beadwork for all my accessories, and I don't know how to do sequinwork yet. Anywayz, I have made lots of Fancy Shawl outfits using the cloth applique for accessories and they are very acceptable and look great.

However, I just started making crowns and other accessories for Southern outfits and I wanted some feedback on whether other folks think there would be any problems with doing that.

I have seen cloth applique crowns and accessories and some looked pretty nice. I was hoping to see photos of work that others had done and to find out if there are any major problems to look for regarding design, construction or any other problems that may be connected with the cloth applique crowns. Sure wish I could see YOURS!

I can also see where having more than one set of beaded ones would be VERY expensive if a person needed matching sets. so cloth crowns and accessories would be one way to handle that situation. And I agree that for younger ones, cloth applique works out real nice.

Of course beadwork is superior to cloth applique. No argument there. But the cloth crowns are not heavy, they feel really light and don't give me a headache. I guess there are pros and cons to anything. And cloth dancing is evolving so fast, as others have noticed as well.

This reply of mine is way longer than I intended, but I needed to say all this. I also hope that others will give their input about the cloth crowns...etc.
      Last edited by yellowbird_regalia; 03-15-2008, 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling and clarity

Comment

I don't know about cloth applique crowns or hairties. I have seen a few and they don't look very good. I think if you want a fast easy way then don't wear a crown.
        For hairties you could always use big abalone shells and ribbons.

when it comes to dancing you want to look like you put some effort into it and didnt just throw something together. I realize beading is time consuming and "hard" for some people but what you put into it... you get out of it.

My two cents....

ETA: I know the iroquois bead on velvet and that looks great too... but purely cloth applique'd crowns... hm....
        The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
          I don't know about cloth applique crowns or hairties. I have seen a few and they don't look very good. I think if you want a fast easy way then don't wear a crown.
          For hairties you could always use big abalone shells and ribbons.

when it comes to dancing you want to look like you put some effort into it and didnt just throw something together. I realize beading is time consuming and "hard" for some people but what you put into it... you get out of it.

My two cents....

ETA: I know the iroquois bead on velvet and that looks great too... but purely cloth applique'd crowns... hm....
          Thank you for replying with your opinion. That is the reason I started this thread, to get other opinions on this.

As I said, I have only done beadwork accessories (except for some Fancy Shawl outfits where I have done the cloth applique and it looks nice) and am just starting to do the cloth applique for crowns and accessories for Southern outfits. If my designs are going to look rushed or not "right" then I won't do them. But I am experimenting with some to see if I can come up with some that DO look good.

One reason I am doing this is that cloth accessories have become so acceptable with other dance outfits, and cloth does look REAL good sometimes. The cloth is lighter, easy to wear and versatile to do all kinds of designs. Plus, that would help people who don't know how to do beadwork if they can do cloth real nice (key here is "real nice").

So much has changed over the years. I saw on one thread where sequin crowns have been around since the '50's. I have seen some really good looking sequin crowns so I thought...why not more cloth applique? And I have seen some cloth applique crowns that looked nice, but I don't have links to photos. Sorry.

Again, and I want to stress this: if it looks "wrong" or tacky, I don't want it. I agree, no thrown together outfits! That is really bad.

Once I make some crowns that I really like, I'll post some photos here. I sure hope others will reply to this thread and let me know if they have ever seen any good looking cloth crowns and accessories for Southern (or Northern) outfits.

And one final comment before I go: I remember when Northern buckskin outfits had to be all beadwork...or they looked "wrong". But now look at the variety. It has also gone over to Southern where cloth outfits have BEAUTIFUL applique work all over them. Very creative and beautiful. I see sequin work on buckskin now too. And again, it is so BEAUTIFUL. Depends on the person doing the work and who's wearing it.

Again, a big thank you for your reply! I want to hear it all, please. Good, bad, negative, positive. That's why I asked.

Comment

I agree with "super". Don't know that this is a good idea. I sew for alot of dancers and I would never think to put them in a cloth crown. There are other options if you cannot afford to buy or possess the ability to make beaded accessories.

It kind of reminds me of the crowns and hairties that are made out of plastic canvas and yarn......

I am not downing your idea, woud just have to see it. I just doubt that it would go over in this part of the country. I know that I won't do it....perhaps if we could see some pictures of your work?

Comment

Ive seen both, some were ick lol but I saw one that from a distance one couldnt tell it wasnt bead'd she made it to match her stuff while her beaded crown was being made. I think it all boils down to craftmanship .
              I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Originally posted by luvstraightdancrs View Post
                I agree with "super". Don't know that this is a good idea. I sew for alot of dancers and I would never think to put them in a cloth crown. There are other options if you cannot afford to buy or possess the ability to make beaded accessories.

It kind of reminds me of the crowns and hairties that are made out of plastic canvas and yarn......

I am not downing your idea, woud just have to see it. I just doubt that it would go over in this part of the country. I know that I won't do it....perhaps if we could see some pictures of your work?
                I hear you on all that and I appreciate your honesty. Again, that is why I put this thread here, to hear various points of views.

Actually, I can't take credit for the idea of cloth crowns since I have seen them on others in the past. It just got me to thinking about how far applique has come. Some of it DOES look really good, but I doubt if any cloth applique can compete with beadwork. ??? But can it look really good?
                I wish I had photos to show of the ones I have seen.

I'm in the process of making a few more crowns and accessories in cloth now. One crown that I am finishing up has seed beads in it (very small areas) and the bottom edging is seed beads, size 11. The rest of it is applique cloth and that sequin material instead of sequinwork (small areas).
                I'll post photos when I've got something I really like. So far, I'm liking this latest one.

Did you say crowns made out of plastic canvas and yarn? Well, I guess I would have to see photos of it, but I'm not so sure about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Plumes View Post
                  Ive seen both, some were ick lol but I saw one that from a distance one couldnt tell it wasnt bead'd she made it to match her stuff while her beaded crown was being made. I think it all boils down to craftmanship .

Thanks for your take on this subject. I wish I could see the crown you are talking about.

I think it boils down to craftmanship and ACCEPTANCE. I think any new idea (is this one really new?) takes awhile to gain acceptance.

But then again, maybe this one never will be accepted. Anyway, I just want to get a feel on how others think about this as I work on my versions of cloth crowns as my experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by luvstraightdancrs View Post

Thanks for your take on this. I did reply before but my post was moderated. (?) I didn't know that replies here were moderated, but that happened. So, I will wait to see if mine shows up before I go into it again.

And I will post photos when I get something done that I really like.

Comment

Is this thread moderated?

Anybody know why two of my posts today were held for moderator approval?

I made one reply and it went right through, but when I replied to the post that "Southern Straight" (I have that screen name all wrong, so sorry!), made, it was moderated.

I'm just curious because my other post went right through.

This message is a test to see if my post will be held up again.

Thanks!

Comment

Photos of my dress and cloth crown

Here is a photo of my own dress and cloth crown I am working on now.

I'm still not 100% happy with it, but I like it so far. I'm thinking of other ways to make the cloth crowns, and would really appreciate any ideas....way out ideas are fine too! I like creativity, and that means taking chances, making mistakes, and learning from them.

and a close up. I'm not too happy with the stitching showing though:

[IMG]pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1095/3997719/13980720/309631341.jpg[/IMG]

As I said, this is my experiment. There will be more later on as I develp the designs.

Comment

oops!Photos of my dress and cloth crown closeup didn't show

close up of crown didn't show up. Please excuse me as I learn how to use these features in the forum.

Here is a photo of my own dress and cloth crown I am working on now.

I'm still not 100% happy with it, but I like it so far. I'm thinking of other ways to make the cloth crowns, and would really appreciate any ideas....way out ideas are fine too! I like creativity, and that means taking chances, making mistakes, and learning from them.

and a close up. I'm not too happy with the stitching showing though:

As I said, this is my experiment. There will be more later on as I develop the designs.
                          Last edited by yellowbird_regalia; 03-21-2008, 03:26 PM. Reason: darn it, learning to use this forum's features

Comment

this looks awesome! real pretty no shame in that!!!
                            I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

hey I think that looks really keen...nice bright colors...and good detail for applique!! ;)
                              sigpic

See my trading post ads
                              See my photo gallery
                              See walela49's myspace page

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.