This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not picking on you...

....but earlier in the thread someone mentioned an elder allowed or gave permission to wear a dress and now you mentioned the same. My question is how old would a person have to be to be considered an elder? over 50? and if another elder of a different tribe asked you not to wear their tribal dress would you respect that elder's wishes? Just wondering?

Comment

I know to be considered and elder its different for different tribes. I believe anyone over 50 is considered an elder. And if another elder from another tribe asked me not to wear their tribal dress then I would respect their wishes.
      Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

Who Me, I have been meaning to respond in a more timely manner but havn't had the time to sit down and write it out yet!
        Now the whole topic seems to be leading a different direction.

This is obviously a deeply controversial subject and each of us however is entitled to our opinion. It does not mean that I AM RIGHT..YOU ARE WRONG...and Who Me i can't help but get the feeling that this is the type of scenerio that you are trying to portray to us.

NEVER have i said that "for the sake of powwow ANYTHING can be sold" Please do not put words in my mouth. Also the comment regarding my line of work...as well as using the word SELL OUT..throughout your posts...thoes comments are uncalled for and ignorant beyond belief! AND then you are trying to tell us how TRADITION is:
        Tradition revolves with time...tradition is a way of life..no one should have to TELL us how traditional they are...thoes that put it on display or for sale are a totally different story. (This i am not condoning by being in agreement with sale via internet so don't even go there)

Powwow is moving beyond "tradition" more "commercial" and a way of living for a lot of individuals. The origin of powwow is more traditional and this should always be rememberd and taught..hopefully written...tribes that continue to practice traditional powwows should be commended. And might I add that a lot of powwow familys use thier traditional designs in a properly manner...at least out here in the west. Remember demographics play a huge part in this debate.

On the otherhand, i am not going to pressume to assume that each participant has had thier regalia prayed for or what have you. I do not know the protocol of each nation so i could not be able to tell you WHO DOES IT RIGHT..or WHO DOES IT WRONG. It is easy to point the finger...BUT remember when you point your finger...there are three more pointing back at you.

Who Me you are a radical native *L* and i admire your energy and passion you display throughout your posts. Your words are like the leaves in the fall wind....when they fall to the ground and the snow falls they will simply sink into the earth. Does this make a difference....YES...it will provide nourishment for future growth....however too much of it will keep the ground moist and cause the roots to rott. ;)
        ~.~ A friend is~.~

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"

Comment

tibby quote:.....
          Who Me you are a radical native *L* and i admire your energy and passion you display throughout your posts. Your words are like the leaves in the fall wind....when they fall to the ground and the snow falls they will simply sink into the earth. Does this make a difference....YES...it will provide nourishment for future growth....however too much of it will keep the ground moist and cause the roots to rott.
          .....maybe the roots are weeds that need to be killed?

I too admire Who Me's passion and beliefs and the strength to state the obvious which so many do not want to see.

Comment

jiGGy:

Tradition (like beauty) - is in the eyes of the BEer-holder.

To some people, the easter bunny is more traditional that the everready bunny!

You left out something out in your parable about the leaves:

" If it were up to you, the leaves would never be allowed to hit the ground, because . . . they would already be sold on the internet!"

:D
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Hmm....disappointing...i expected somthing a little more intelectual rather than the smart azz post about selling leaves over the internet...lmao..good one tho....

*L* its all gravey...this is a nice debate that can go on and on and on such as the energizer bunny or whatever you spoke of...*L* i didn't get that one either...but i am the first to admit that my sense of humor is a bit BLAND....*L*

oh...and geez...do i have to ask you again to quit ASSUMING that i make a livin or something by making sale over the internet...*L* for my own sake i will explain, i am an artist...a lil bit of a beadworker...but i am not one that distributes over the internet!! I do work for my family, my daughter...friends and relatives. I would not be able to take an order over the internet because for me to do my work..it seems easier if i know the background of the person...FAMILY DESIGNS...or TRIBAL...what have you...to personalize a piece for certain individuals and purposes. SO?

Who me, if you don't mind, i am interested in WHO YOU are...background? tribe? field of study? line of work? location...there is not much in your profile and i am wondering why? WHO ME WHO ARE YOU...*L*

here is another one...jus a lil food for thought: *L*

Do not assume because to assume means to make an A S S out of U and ME...sumthin...*L*
              Last edited by tiBBy; 07-30-2003, 06:29 PM.
              ~.~ A friend is~.~

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"

Comment

Oh..and sup with jiGGy? like, lets get jiGGY wit it...??? L*

Don't make me change my name AGAIN! Some traditional native on the internet gave me that name..TIBBY...ahhh...ZZzz my original handle on the internet was tabiduah (which means morning sun in the shoshone language) But it got chopped off in a debate such as this where name callin was involved and she called me "tibby tabby" whatever...*L*...now, might i add, we are goot friends...we just different point of views but respect for one another...L*.. so EZ on the tibbster WHOEVER U ARE...
                ~.~ A friend is~.~

Comment

Re: Girls Southern Cloth For Sale

Originally posted by FancyStar
                  Hello, I have a southern girls cloth outfit for sale. Brand new never been worn. Colors are red, golden yellow, and green. Very nice has detailed applique along skirt, shawl and back piece.
                  Will fit a skinny gilr of 6-8 years of age.
                  Pieces include, shirt shirt, shawl, and back drag. Made by Sharon Roberts, Micheal Roberts(yes, the fancy dancer) mom.

Asking $350.

There are pictures of in the gallery by pettus.

Must SALE!!

Let me know!

I GOT AN IDEA -
                  WHY DON'T YOU TAKE IT OVER TO A GIRL SCOUT OR BOYS SCOUT TROOP MEETING.

I BET THOSE WANNA BEE WHITE BRATS WILL JUMP ON THAT OUTFIT AND BEG MOMMY DEAREST TO BUY IT FOR THEM SO THEY CAN BE THE TRUE AUTHENTIC INDIAN PRINCESS THEY ALWAYS WANTED TO B.

AND THEY CAN EVEN JUMP OVER TO E-BAY AND BUY A PAIR OF THOSE MINNTONKA WHITE OR TAN MOCCASINS.

OH WHAT LUCK
                  Last edited by peekaboo; 07-30-2003, 09:20 PM.
                  "Never be bullied into silence.
                  Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Comment

Re: Re: Girls Southern Cloth For Sale

Originally posted by peekaboo
                    I GOT AN IDEA -
                    WHY DON'T YOU TAKE IT OVER TO A GIRL SCOUT OR BOYS SCOUT TROOP MEETING.

I BET THOSE WANNA BEE WHITE BRATS WILL JUMP ON THAT OUTFIT AND BEG MOMMY DEAREST TO BUY IT FOR THEM SO THEY CAN BE THE TRUE AUTHENTIC INDIAN PRINCESS THEY ALWAYS WANTED TO B.

AND THEY CAN EVEN JUMP OVER TO E-BAY AND BUY A PAIR OF THOSE MINNTONKA WHITE OR TAN MOCCASINS.

OH WHAT LUCK
                    oooooooo ya know that just might work. lol or better yet you could stick it on ebay. just make sure you include the words "authentic indian" in the description.

some ppl are really getting upset about this hmmm........

Comment

you know peekaboo you have really turned this ugly

wannabe white brats..... are all wannabee white? and are they all brats?

boy and people talk about classification of natives the good ole stereotypes that everyone trys to remove - mascots, savages, drunks, lazy......

now here you go jumping all over white kids, who can only do what their parents allow them.

just think all of this hatred cause of a outfit for sale.
                      Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

ya know what.. I have kept my thoughts to myself seeing if this would work it's self out. Now that I see it hasn't I'm jumping in here.

I have no idea what the problem is. Since I have been on this site which has been a few years now, I have seen many items offered up for sale. That includes outfits (dance clothes, dresses, suits, rigs, etc. ) and either people are interested or not. Either they buy it or not. So what is the difference with this one? Some say it is tribal specific designs. Well with the printing of Scarlet Ribbons and people using the designs in there that has taken those designs to a whole new market. Not good... not bad.. just fact.
                        When I myself see someone offering something for sale I look at it and see if it is right for me, not make myself into something else just because it is offered for sale.. I think others can decern that for them selves also. I mean geeeeezie pete.. if people want to buy another tribes outfit they can go to e bay and pawn shops... they don't have to come to powwows.com. Why not address those folks who sell these things for a living?

Some of the points are very valid, I would suggest we all read them.. see what we can learn from them and then dismiss the rest. Some just give answers to stir the pot and see how people react, and on this site, unfortunately it seems they get what they want more often than not. :(
                        "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Hmmmmm. Now if all of you will excuse me for a minute and let me speak.

WhoMe, congratulations on your strength of character and obvious zealousness in which you protect your tribal traditions.

Next, pow-wows, while important to the Native Community as a whole are not a specific tribal tradtion in the manner in which they are held today. For the most part, it is about the contesley any of the things that go on at pow-wows ( attitudes, haterizingand, skin showing, gauziness, and flashiness, just to name some surtface things) would be tolerated at a tribal dance. Such as stomps, warrior society dances or clan dances. The reason being is because it is a pow-wow!! Not the end all be all at being indian.
                          As for all you hard core pow-wow people, if you were really that hardcore you would be to busy traveling that pow-wow trail than to keep up with this thread much less this site!!

Almost all pow-wow outfits today have taken a little from different tribes. Parts of this dance outfit may be from the Ponca, while parts of this outfit may be from the Kiowa. While this dancers outfits shows a Seminole style, but yet it diffently has Otoe influence.

I am not selling a strictly tribal outfit, Once again it is a CONTEST OUTFIT!!!!!! Made for contest. And ya' know what, if a girl scout or boy scout wants to buy it, well Goot for them. Somebody bought an outfit that they will use and appericiate.
                          This is not an outfit used for medicine dances with any particular tribe.

Talk all the junk you want, it doesn't bother me. You are just giving me free advertisement.

While my ways are not for sale, neither is freedome of speech.
                          I know who I am. I know where I come from. I know my ways.
                          So do what you got to do. Be who you got to be. And do what you got to do!

Fact remains, I have a CONTEST OUTFIT for sale!

Peace and Grease!
                          Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

______

I am not against selling Indian regalia, clothing or other ndn items via, the internet, pow-wow stores or pawn shops. It is going to happen no matta".

But, there has to be people like me to - scream as loud as they can - when we see other Indians selling items that are tribal specific or belong to a person or family.

Please hear my words:

"When everything Indian is for sale and sold... WE WILL CEASE TO BE INDIAN!"

.... so, do what you've gotta' and are gonna'.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::( ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Besides, an Otoe pattened outfit will look "cute" on a rich girlscout if she wants to play ndn.
                            Last edited by WhoMe; 08-07-2003, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I don't think that the person ment to cause so much arguing or debating or whatever you want to call it. All I know is that I go to pow wows all summer and I see hundrends of women and girls wearing jimgle dresses. A dress that originated from my people and sometimes it bothers me because I wonder if the person knows what it means and how they recieved it. But then i think of how many of people from my own tribe who wear the dress and I know they aren't treating it right. Traditionalism has so many meanings for all of us and that could be debated all day and night. All I know is I don't want to spend my life trying to keep other natives down because we have had the world against us so long that we don't need to be hateful to each other. So if she wants to sell her dress go ahead and she isn't at a tourist center geared for whites I guess I assume we are all first nation people. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by charmed girl
                                So if she wants to sell her dress go ahead and she isn't at a tourist center geared for whites I guess I assume we are all first nation people. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                                This is a very ignorant assumption. There are numererous people who subscribe to this site that are not Indian and even more ndns who think non-Indian.

But in all candorness, I applaud those individuals both Indian and non-Indian who realize that there are sensitive objects that should not be sold - period - for contest or whatever reason, if it is not theirs to sell!

From your post, what I hear you saying is that you are a proud Ojibwe woman who gives your stamp of approval to anyone who wants to buy your tribal medicine dress, wear it in any dance arena without being given that right to do so?

"Just because other people do it - doesn't make it right. One goof-up on top of another goof-up doesn't correct the problem."

Hmmmmmmmm? I think there are other proud Ojibwe women who WILL disagree with you concerning the medicine dress.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X