History of Crowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Crowns

Crowns are a now a staple of contemporary southern regaila. Everyone generally agrees that it is part of the fashion now and a mark of past and present princesses. Kind of crazy, but I am a crown maker, but don't really know when they came into vogue. If anyone could share with me when they first remember seeing crowns that would be great. I work at NMAI and the last section of Identity by Design features regaila with crowns. The crowns are always a fascinating topic. So any stories or insight would be great. Also to all the crown makers out there, anyone want to pitch out some thoughts on your creative process and how long it takes you.

Thanks so much

Originally posted by cbeady View Post
    Crowns are a now a staple of contemporary southern regaila. Everyone generally agrees that it is part of the fashion now and a mark of past and present princesses. Kind of crazy, but I am a crown maker, but don't really know when they came into vogue. If anyone could share with me when they first remember seeing crowns that would be great. I work at NMAI and the last section of Identity by Design features regaila with crowns. The crowns are always a fascinating topic. So any stories or insight would be great. Also to all the crown makers out there, anyone want to pitch out some thoughts on your creative process and how long it takes you.

Thanks so much

c,

As far as southern crowns go.... The predicessor to crowns were headbands. The straight, thin, loom beaded women's head bands evolved into headbands that included conecting rossettes. These connecting rosettes grew into a the shape of a crown. The crown began to take different designs. Crowns began to get taller and taller. New patterns are now being added below.

I hope this helps.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X