Outfits for Childern and Babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outfits for Childern and Babies

Do any of you follow a pattern when making an outfit for babies or small children? Tried to find a pattern online but had no success. My wife wants to make a skirt and shirt out of calico material for my 6 month daughter to wear to our tribal powwow in May. She'll be brought into the circle in a year so we just need something simple for now. Do ya'll have any ideas?
    "Love is like the wind, better felt than heard." ~ compliments of the Lumbee Warrior

"She walks in beauty in two worlds." ~ Lumbee Proverb

The best way to do this is just to find a pattern that you can adapt. Patterns for a skirt and shirt should be pretty easy to find. Go to Joannes or Walmart and look through the baby section in the pattern books. See if any of the pattern brands are on sale, and be sure to look through that book! I'm positive you'll be able to find something that'll work. I do this for most all skirts, dresses, skirts that I make. Its pretty difficult to just make a pattern by drawing it out, because that is 2D and 2D doesn't work too well on a 3D person! Let me know if you guys can't find anything, and I can go look at Walmart to find a pattern number...

Comment

I never use patterns. The closest I come is to use an existing shirt as a pattern - mostly for size.

Skirts are a piece of cake. Just a rectangle - wide enough to go clear around plus several inches. And high enough for the length plus a few inches. Make a casing for elastic at the top and add a ruffle on the bottom.

A shirt is a little more difficult. For a baby, it's easy to do a T-shaped shirt. I did a quick ribbon shirt for my grandson this past summer in about an hour. The top part of the "T" should be the length from wrist to shoulder - across shoulders - then down other arm, then add an inch or two for hem. The vertical part of the T should be the length of the shirt.

Fold the fabric in half, (the fold should be at the top), mark where the top part of the "T" is on both sides. Find the middle and mark the length there. From the side of the "T", mark how wide the sleeve should be plus an inch for hem. From the bottom of the length mark, mark how wide it should be (waist plus about 4-6 inches). These measurements will go straight across and straight up, EXCEPT at the underarm section, it should be curved instead of a severe angle. You can use a cup and mark a nice curve in this section.

Cut it out folded, mark the neck opening using a pattern from an existing shirt. Slit about 4" down the back. Edge the whole neckline in bias tape. Add a snap, button, tie or whatever where the back of the neck opening should close. Decorate the shirt however you'd like, BEFORE sewing the side seams. Then seam the sides and hem the sleeves and bottom. TUH-DUH!!

This is probably clear as mud, so I'll try to post a pic or two.
      Last edited by wyo_rose; 03-30-2009, 12:46 AM.
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Here's a pic of the finished shirt.
        This one has the slit at the neckline in the front with no button or anything. And I should add it had "removeable" ribbons. I'll try to find them and take another pic.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by wyo_rose; 03-30-2009, 12:48 AM.
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by eap7 View Post
          The best way to do this is just to find a pattern that you can adapt. Patterns for a skirt and shirt should be pretty easy to find. Go to Joannes or Walmart and look through the baby section in the pattern books. See if any of the pattern brands are on sale, and be sure to look through that book! I'm positive you'll be able to find something that'll work. I do this for most all skirts, dresses, skirts that I make. Its pretty difficult to just make a pattern by drawing it out, because that is 2D and 2D doesn't work too well on a 3D person! Let me know if you guys can't find anything, and I can go look at Walmart to find a pattern number...
          Well I'm jusss glad ur three dimensional and not two dimensional!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
            Well I'm jusss glad ur three dimensional and not two dimensional!!!
            What can I saw, I'm just lucky!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X