elk tooth dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elk tooth dress

just got 3 yards of red broadcloth want to make a elk tooth dress but all the dresses i can remember were made with blue ,or do they use red too?

You Don't look good in any color dress.......................

Comment

the wife does

Comment

Heck she looks better in your regalia too for that matter!!!!
        Of course red would fly!!!!
        You at least going to add real teeth???
        Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
        Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Red is not that uncommon.

Real teeth? Who would have that many for a new dress? Just don't use plastic (I'm sure you won't). After years of saving, begging, borrowing, and stealing from hunters, I have less than 100 bonafide elk teeth.

The bone ones that come in several shapes are cool. And you can attach them "backwards" to switch it up a little.
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

was planning on using the bone ones , has anyone try aging them by soaking them in tea like hair pipes
            Last edited by rodond; 08-04-2009, 05:17 PM.

Comment

There are very few elk tooth dresses in existence that use all real teeth. Even the old ones would mix real teeth with carved ones. What style elk tooth dress is it? The Crow usually use the ones from Buffalo Chips in Billings. They're a resin cast and look really good. Red is fine. Most are either Blue or Red.

Comment

where is the best place to find the bone teeth at a reasonable price

Comment

You can change the colour of the bone with tea or even instant coffee, the strongest being the coffee that sits all day in a heated caraffe. The longer you leave it in the darker it gets!
                  Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                  Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Here's link to what Buffalo Chips in Billings is selling. You could switch up a couple sizes so they're more realistic. http://www.buffalochipsindianart.com...products_id=57

If you tea (or coffee) stain them, just don't go too dark.

Buffalo Chips (or someplace) used to sell some that were in about 3 different shapes, and already colored, but kinda expensive.

These at Buffalo Chips seem to be the best price around...probably because of volume.

Their dyed ones aren't that much more expensive, and they're 2 toned like real teeth, so you might want to go that way. http://www.buffalochipsindianart.com...products_id=56
                    Last edited by wyo_rose; 08-05-2009, 02:24 PM.
                    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Wyo rose have you seen these ? are they a good plastic or would the bone ones be a better starting point

Comment

I saw the resin ones they had years ago (the shaded ones that were different shapes), and they seemed like a higher quality plastic that had some weight to them. Now I see that the terms "resin" and "plastic" seem to be used interchangeably.

I have NOT seen these new resin ones they have. Maybe they'd send a sample of 1 tooth if you send them a self addressed envelope, maybe not. But it seems like the resin ones are very similar to the plastic, just have a little more weight to them which is good.

The bone ones I've seen are not my favorite either. I guess I'm picky cuz I don't like the shape of ANY of these.

These look GREAT: Realistic Elk Teeth or Elk Ivories or Plastic Elk Teeth or Imitation Elk Teeth or Fake Elk Teeth, but they're $4.00 a PIECE!!

These have a good look to them, but a SMALL shape, reasonable price Jingle dress cones, sinue, porcupine quills, tomahawk heads, deer leg bones

The bone ones at Crazy Crow look a little crazy: Jingle dress cones, sinue, porcupine quills, tomahawk heads, deer leg bones plus they're $1.50 A PIECE!!

These bone ones look alright and aren't that much more: Bone Teeth Pack of 100 beads crafts Jewelry Regalia Elk - Tenino - Bonanzle

So overall, I like the Buffalo Chips for the plastic cuz of price and variety. Their dyed ones would be great for a reproduction type dress, IMHO. And I think I'll get their mini ones for a doll dress.

For the bone, I like Minute Bear Trading.

For a child's dress, the fur and hide plastic ones might be good.

I think I'll start buying elk teeth during hunting season. They were going for $10 a pair back when I had to hide and steal them from my ex. I hope they haven't gone up too much. With the "stolen" ones and some from my grandma I think I have about 70. She beaded some elk teeth and put them on a dress (about 50), so maybe I'll do something similar...someday.

FYI: There are 2 shapes for REAL elk canine teeth, the more rounder ones from the bull elk (they get longer as they age) and the longer shaped ones from the cow elk. The older elks' teeth tend to angle off with wear.
                        Age Your Elk - Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
                        Mine are all a variety of all these sizes and shapes, colors and wear patterns and aren't really matched for a dress. I did drill all the female ones I had and put them at the bottom of my daughter breast plate...for now.
                        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Yeah Buffalo Chips is by far the cheapest because they sell so many. They're who we buy all our teeth from. Also, I dunno if I should mention this or not, but I know the making of a Crow style elk tooth dress requires rights to be passed to make them. Not sure about other tribal styles though

Comment

Please be sure to sew the teeth on the dress correctly - they're not supposed to be just stuck on there any old way. Pay attention to which side of the dress - left or right - and which direction the tooth curves. Also, DO NOT put the teeth on "inside out" as was suggested by someone earlier in this thread. You don't want a bucktoothed dress. A friend of mine (who coined the term "bucktoothed dress") just redid an entire tradecloth tooth dress for someone where the teeth were sewn on wrong. Do your research so you don't look all somehow....
                            Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism.

Comment

sounds like i need to do some more research will be doing a Kiowa,Comanche style dress

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X