Are cloth dancers boring or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CYSA
    like should non indian women compete or wear our cloth dresses? even if they are not competing but just dancing the intertribals, shoudl they be state or fed carded? or can they be married to a native to dance/ and dress?
    non ndn women dressing: happens all the time & the sad thing is, they even win sometimes... and this isn't specifically in the tradish category... this is in all... i don't think it's fair, but it happens!
    "i don't like to walk fast man - i like to strut!"

Comment

non ndn women dressing: happens all the time & the sad thing is, they even win sometimes... and this isn't specifically in the tradish category... this is in all... i don't think it's fair, but it happens!
      Sad but true.

Comment

I don't have a problem with it. I have a sister in law who dresses Sac & Fox and she is another tribe and also part caucasion (spelling?). She doesn't contest but she enjoys dancing at our annual pow wow. She treats her dress with respect and honor and I am proud of her.
        As for dressing in a cloth dress, particulary ribbonwork, when you have not been given that dress.....that is a touchy subject.
        Several years ago at Florida, I loaned a dress out to someone who was not my tribe but had left her dress at the room ( or something like that, it was so long ago I can't really remember) anyway, I lent her my dress to wear for that afternoon. She never returned it. I was going to ask for it back, but once having let her wear it, what could I do? I am not the kind to be real pushy either. My dad, who was there too, said just let it go and don't cause a fuss. She knew it was a loan and would probably give it back. She never did and I never asked. She is a very nice lady and I felt that we had a misunderstanding. My family is very protective of our tribal clothes, but I walked into that one and had no one but myself to blame.
        My girls dance both Comanche and Ponca/Sac&fox/Otoe. My daughter was just given her first buckskin, made by a Comanche elder, by my aunt. We are proud of that and honored.
        My dad was a very kind man and encouraged people to dance and if they wanted to dance then you should support them. So, my take on that issue is.....if someone goes about obtaining their dress in a respectful manner, they should dance and enjoy the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by FancyStar
          [B]this one big name traditional women dancer was drunk as a skunk. She was going up and down the hotel hallways knocking on peoples doors and such. Then she ended up passing out on her bed, with the door wide open and bucked naked, sprawled out!
          GAW [B]
          Hey be quiet! Shhhh :Quiet no ones supposed to know about that! I was looking for my honey! Aye!!!:D

Comment

I remember some Cheyanne ladies giving this one white women problems for wearing there tribes beadwork designz. She wore it with a lakota style dress. This women would get hate mail and would get harrased by others. Finnally a Cheyanne elder took her in a few years ago, so no one bothers her no more. Now she doesn't even dance no more. Boy did she have some nice beadwork. That's the one thing nice I can say about those white ladies it that meticulous bout there beadwork.

Comment

Re: Hey Jibby

Originally posted by wallFlower
              You wore one of Super's Dud's? Her stuff is pretty. Lucky you. Wouldn't mind looking thru her closet.:Angel:
              Hahahaha! Yep, I wore her red, green and white set. We went back to get my skirt, fully dressed, it was funny trying to get into my friends crib in Brooklyn with mox on, hair braided, etc.
              Got percap?

Comment

Cloth dancers are far from boring. With all their beadwork and the intricant applique, they are beautiful out there dancing. Them Ho-chunk women have gorgeous applique and ribbon work on their skirts and matching tops! wow.
                "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

“ Originally posted by FancyStar
                  [B]this one big name traditional women dancer was drunk as a skunk. She was going up and down the hotel hallways knocking on peoples doors and such. Then she ended up passing out on her bed, with the door wide open and bucked naked, sprawled out!
                  GAW [B] ”

Hey be quiet! Shhhh no ones supposed to know about that! I was looking for my honey! Aye!!!

Kakeeya: That was you?!!! Aye , You stole my 49 idea!!!
                  Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

Originally posted by FancyStar
                    [B]“ Originally posted by FancyStar
                    Kakeeya: That was you?!!! Aye , You stole my 49 idea!!!
                    Hey I didn't steal it! That's an OIT, Old Indian Trick :Chatter Aye! Anyway it didn't work, I just layed there and layed there,
                    :D LOL!

Comment

The real OIT is to crawl into some snags room without his girlfriend finding out and catching you both! GAW

But hey, you win some you lose some!
                      Yeah drink some, you pass out some! LOL
                      Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

I have to admit, it's kind of nice to read a thread that actually has some substance, talking about beautiful outfits. I miss that in the "chit chat" board....... Trying to search for "jerry springer" style stories isn't always needed to keep a thread "interesting" you guys are doin' just fine!!!
                        *BE EASY*

Comment

OK Then, Seriously, I think SOuthern Cloth is just keen. I
                          love to drool, oops I mean check out the southern cloth beadwork.
                          I'm going to be dancing southern cloth at the youth center pow-wow next weekend and am going to make myslef a crown to go with my beadwork this week.
                          I'm going to swish and sway that cherokee way!!!LOL

Comment

excuse me swish and sway the cherokee way

whatever you swish and sway all the time

and to think your going cloth..... for the weekend .. wow! we are so honored ......
                            Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Originally posted by CYSA
                              excuse me swish and sway the cherokee way

whatever you swish and sway all the time

and to think your going cloth..... for the weekend .. wow! we are so honored ......
                              FIGHT!!! lets see it ladies!! verbally duke it out! :)
                              The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

well at least in a cloth outfit she can make it fit to size

unlike her capris which turn into long pants......

nto that this makes any sense to the rest of you
                                sorry
                                Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X