Changes in Southern Cloth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes in Southern Cloth

I have been noticing some changes in the Southern cloth regalia. And I wondered if any of you ladies have noticed them also. The places I've seen these has mainly been out west and at the bigger contests dances.
    The changes are using sequined material for blouses and neon colors for ribbon applique`. Also, have any of you noticed how big the purses and fans are getting?:Shocked
    For those of you that have noticed the change, how about sharing your opinion.
    I've noticed and think the changes are great.
    34.88%
    I've noticed and don't like the new look.
    28.68%
    I'll be using the new ideas on a future outfit for myself.
    9.30%
    I have no intentions of ever using any of these ideas.
    12.40%
    I haven't noticed any changes yet.
    14.73%
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

I have seen it coming gradually. First the skirts got shorter. Then little by little you see purses change. Then you see the fans getting as big or bigger than the men's. I've sen the headbands with the feather up the back on almost every girl now. With the contest world so very much with us anymore, they have to keep up with colors and fabrics. But if you look closely you still see the same patterns and color schemes working yet. The color I have seen making it way seriously into outfits is orange. No longer used for accent, there are whole outfits now. It is a color that has a lot of shades that are not flattering to the outfits as a main color.

Comment

I am by no means an expert or have been into the southern cloth dance scene for a long enough time to judge, but I am with you on that color orange deal!! It should either be an accent like you said or balanced out more with another bright or dark color like blue and red. Besides county inmates, who really does the color orange flatter? LOL...just kidding folks...having a little fun here.
      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Give me the beautiful old traditional style with the true old-time colors in the applique and ribbon work, the gorgeous non-show biz fabrics and the graceful sway of shawls.
        Pony

Comment

Changes

depending on which southern cloth are you talking about? There are some that are more traditional and some that are more comtempary. The traditional ones are less flashy and have more of a theme to the dress. The comtemporary ones are more for a show type of dress(a attention getter, good if you are a contest dancer). I have no problem with the color orange, in fact it is one of my favorite colors. A dress can be real pretty using orange if the right colors are used to accent orange!!! Remember not everyone likes the same thing, that's what makes everyone unique!!
          :Heart"If you love something, let it go; if it comes back to you it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was!!!! *DMX* :Heart

:stooges: If you don't stand for something; you'll fall for anything! :stooges:

Comment

colors

I was talking more of some complections a yellow is not flattering to the persons face. But you make that same yellow an accent color away from the skin and it can beautiful. It is the same with most colors. I would suggest that girls and - yes even you guys- get with someone the works with ribbonwork. Not to learn how to work with the colors. The colors should compliments each other not fight each other. Some of the best outfits I have seen do not have to use sparkley material. But everything compliments each other in color and proportion. Since my colors are primerally red, yellow, and blue with a long skirt, I would not
            choose a short tail for the new shorter skirts not would I choose accesories with green, orange and grey. For men I would not choose say a belt made for someone 6'4" on someone 5'6". You want harmony in your clothes no matter the style.

Comment

Well said Beth!
              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Besides the neon colors, what do you all think of using the sequins material for the blouses?
                "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

I have seen some changes within the past year. I think it is okay we don´t want to be the only catagory that hasn´t. With the sequined dresses it looks okay as long as the colors are not that loud. If it were just the shirt or shirt that is sequined it would look okay, but if its the whole T-dress that is sequined I don´t think so. (my cousin has one, I hope she doesn´t know it´s me with this name.) I say if you want to wear it and you like it thats cool.
                  (this is only what I think)

Comment

I love the look of the sequined shirts and blouses...so pretty and eye catching!! I just don't like to sew that stuff LOL!!!

Comment

as everything else in the world goes, things change, so will southern cloth
                      Someone always has a new way to make an outfit, a new way to design.
                      I am glad women change instead the same old boring stuff, that means we are thinking, have imaginations and use what we are given.
                      But given that I'm different, it would be hard for me to change my dress, tried before didn't feel right.
                      I applaud the women who change and add new and exciting looks to thier dresses and their fans and purses they look good.
                      Keep it up.
                      D
                      Last edited by Okwataga; 01-10-2007, 03:06 PM.
                      Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

I like some of the things I have been seeing. While I think some things should stay traditonal and not change, I think we can make good use of the newer materials and still remain consistant with the old ways. After all we use beads and ribbon now.

Comment

With the proper blend I think you can use most any kind of material and make it look GREAT! I like some of the newer materials although I might not use some of them because of my being an older woman, it is nice to see how they are being used to accent our dresses.

Silverfeather
                          Don't sweat the small stuff. Leave things you can not change alone and move on. The Creator will take care of all you need
                          :49: Powwow Dancin is the best!! :dancer:

Comment

I can't speak for others, but the Iroquois started wearing them during the victorian period..but shorter and usually made of velvet...not fully beaded ones like the princess crowns.

Comment

I think that when it comes down to it, it depends on really what the dancer is trying for.
                              I've seen some who have used a lot of ribbon work and beadwork and shiny materials, and everything works and looks really great.
                              Then I've also like the more simple look too. I personally use less the most other dancers just the way I am. I've tried the fancy materials, lots of beadwork and just didn't feel right to me.
                              But liek anything else that comes laong, we do change and we add to it and make it our own. So to those that use the sharper look, way to go. and to those that stay with the more traditional look way to go for you also.
                              They both look good!
                              Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.