"old school" dancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "old school" dancing

I have been dancing cloth for majority of my 26 years. I'm starting to notice (usually among northern styles) that a "not seen before" form of dancing comes around and it's know as "old school" style. Of course I was raised in the southern parts so I am unfamiliar with original northern styles; only time I seen northern style was when northern tribes have traveled down south for pow-wows. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if it is old school wouldn't it have been taught that way first? I have been out of the arena for almost 3 years (I'm returning to the circle in May->YEAH ;)!) and I hope there hasn't been a dramatic change in cloth or an "old style" that I wasn't taught......only change I seen so far is all the bright colors!!! I'm not trying to be a smart butt or step on any toes; it's just something I have notice & was thinking about!!!
    :Heart"If you love something, let it go; if it comes back to you it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was!!!! *DMX* :Heart

:stooges: If you don't stand for something; you'll fall for anything! :stooges:

Well, the music has changed to a slower rhythm therefore the dancing style seems more dippy(for lack of a better word) and slower. The faster beat of the old drums comes about once and awhile, but the slower beating style is popular now. I am a faster beat dancer. ha ha Other than that, and they rhinestones,and the bright colors, and the....I jokes. it will be fine, just dance with your heart and you will do great.
    I am thankful for my grandparents, my parents, my brothers, my aunties and uncles, my children, my companion and all of those who influenced me to be strong and proud of being who I am and where I come from. Knowledge is power

Comment

c'mon sis!!!

No matter what has changed within the circle the past few years, ya know you got it!! You have always had a natural talent that takes the rest of us a few summers to master. Just go with the way you were taught and continue to put your heart into it and she will continue to smile from above.
      :huddle: Learn to associate with the white man, learn his ways, get an education. With an education, you are his equal; without it, you are his victim. - Chief Plenty Coups, Crow

Comment

[QUOTE=dwnsouthndn] Of course I was raised in the southern parts so I am unfamiliar with original northern styles; only time I seen northern style was when northern tribes have traveled down south for pow-wows. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if it is old school wouldn't it have been taught that way first? [QUOTE]

dwnS:

As far as "old school" dancin' is concerned, neither the women of the northern or southern plains originally danced in the arena with the men during their wacipis or man dances. All women used to dance stationary in front of their seats unless there was a specific dance or clan that called for their participation.

The style of dancing with the men in the dance arena only emerged AFTER WWI when women warriors earned their right to dance with the men.

Also the outfits of today have evolved to a whole new realm from what they were "back in da' day."

Some say this is good. Others will disagree. You decide.

The fact is that "you can't stop change."
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.