Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help...2-piece cloth dress?

Hello ladies,

I have 2 cherokee tear dresses made from the crazy crow pattern, but I look like a buffalo in those things :Cry.

I want to try a two piece dress appropriate for a Cherokee dancer...but don't know what kind of changes to make. The ladies I've seen in the two-piece dresses look so much better...and cooler. But, I think they're different in more than just "less material" and the fact that they are 2 pieces. I don't want to deviate too far, I just can't remember.

Can any one help me? Also, I'm not a good seamstress. Can anyone suggest any tips on my new project? One last question...lol...has anyone ever seen a solid colored tear dress? I have seen one black dress with colorful ribbons, but I think that was the only one. Just wondering.

Would really appreciate anyone's advice...

2-piece dress

I, too, have made a Cherokee tear dress that took about 10 yards of material. I am now making my granddaughter one that is 2 piece. I am making the skirt minus one of the skirt panels and corresponding ruffle. The top will be by the same pattern as the dress, only it will have short sleeves and I will make the tail longer to be tucked in, the collar will be different(either just the ruffle or a plain collar or no collar). I have put elastic in the skirt waistband so it will hold the top in place. As she grows, the top will still be long enough to tuck in and I can always add another ruffle to the bottom. The ribbon will be in the same places as on the dress. If you ever find a pattern, would you share it with me? [email protected]

Comment

To RVNMAD,
      Yes, I have seen many tear dresses that are made from solid color material w/ the ribbon decoration. My mom used to make them, maybe I can post a picture in the gallery of some tear dresses.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/purplemartins/

Comment

thanks

That would be really cool if you have time to post pictures be sure to let me know. Someone told me that I shouldn't make my dress in a solid color, but I desperately want one for some reason.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

Comment

Re: 2-piece dress

Originally posted by Polly Ritche
          I, too, have made a Cherokee tear dress that took about 10 yards of material. I am now making my granddaughter one that is 2 piece. The ribbon will be in the same places as on the dress. If you ever find a pattern, would you share it with me? [email protected]
          Thanks for the info, Polly. I couldn't believe how much material it takes for a tear dress, could you!?? And I wonder why I look so big in it. lol

If I find a pattern for a 2 piece I will be sure to let you know. I am actively looking. I can't even find any pictures of any as of yet. And, although I've seen them, it's hard for me to make one without looking at one, you know?

:)

Comment

solid color tear dress

I 've now seen some solid color tear dresses, and I also learned something from the cloth store. I thought calico meant the tiny little prints, but it actually refers to the fabric itself. It's 100% cotton fabric that's pretty lightweight. :-D Learn something new everyday, I guess!
            Last edited by shwk0961; 03-22-2002, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Tear Dresses Meaning

:Angel2
              I am wondering what the meaning of the tear dress really signifies. I take it that it signifies one who cries. Maybe that is why someone recommended it not be of a solid color. However, if you have seen one, then that is a sign that a solid color is an acceptable fashion for that style.

If you think about the dress, wouldn't Creator tell you the color and how to adorn it for your own style. I believe that this is what the dressing is all about anyway. It seems to me that it is a personal expression of what is inside the wearer of the dress.

I am sure you will look beautiful and slim, not as the buffalo, but as the dear who runs through the forrest, if you love what you make and the way it feels when you put it on.

Friend of Bear
              Friend of Bear

Comment

OK, I have just posted 3 pics in the gallery of 2 different Tear Dresses - these were made by my mother Delores (she passed on 2 yrs.ago). Delores was one half Cherokee and an enrolled member of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma. Her father ,Levi Downing, was an original enrollee.
                Tear dresses can be made from calico or solid color fabric, it's your choice !! Tear is pronounced both "tear" as in Trail of Tears and "tear" as in torn fabric. For more history of the tear dress you should go to Cherokee Nation website www.cherokee.org and click on Cherokee Culture. There is alot of interesting info there !
                Hope this helps,
                Marie

Comment

Oh yeah, the pictures are in the gallery under Dancing/ Women/Cloth category .

Comment

Friend of Bear and other ladies. Just because "you have seen it" does not make something correct. Many people make this mistake, but it is always smartest to research first to make sure you are correct. But is this case, yes it is alright to have a solid dress. I have seen them in a small star pattern as well, not just calico. Also, just a hint, try making the waistband wider when you make the outfit 2 pieces, it seems to keep the skirt tucked in better.

Comment

If you must have a pattern or picture -- I used an older McCalls Pattern #4736 for the skirt portion of your dresses, when I first began sewing for others. It is a simple gored or wide aline skirt with a ruffle at the bottom. Make the waist 1 1/2 to 2 times your waist measurement, add a waistband or elastic and attach a ruffle that is 4 times the bottom width of the skirt. Add your trim (ribbonwork or whatever above the ruffle and you are set.

Why make it harder than it has to be....

Comment

Originally posted by catsmeow
                        Friend of Bear and other ladies. Just because "you have seen it" does not make something correct. Many people make this mistake, but it is always smartest to research first to make sure you are correct. But is this case, yes it is alright to have a solid dress. I have seen them in a small star pattern as well, not just calico. Also, just a hint, try making the waistband wider when you make the outfit 2 pieces, it seems to keep the skirt tucked in better.
                        Thank you catsmeow. I knew that seeing it didn't actually make it right, that's why I asked. ;-) I appreciate your input.

Comment

Originally posted by waleli
                          Oh yeah, the pictures are in the gallery under Dancing/ Women/Cloth category .
                          Thank you for posting those, they are beautiful dresses.

Comment

TEAR DRESS PATTERNS

RVNMAD AND POLLY--- I too am searching for a tear dress apttern-- I found a site yeaterday in reading some history of the dress- it is chagnons outdoor world [native amreican products] the pattern shown does not look like 10 yards but that is how the origionals were made. thier phone number is 1-800-795-5157- if it is the same as crazy crow-- please let me know. i found this sight linked under cherokee clothing in the search mode. i too am a ver y heafty person-- 10 yards of anything around this body would look like a heard of elephants. blessings to all db/az:)
                            DB/AZ

Comment

I made exactly one Tear dress for a friend to get married in and I used the Missouri River pattern. The pattern is for a one-piece dress. I have to say that the sewing directions were poorly written. I had to rip apart several times before I figured out what was missing from the instructions. In spite of this, this pattern is the only one I know about. I suppose you could modify it to make the two-piece ensemble.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.