Differences Between "Regular" and "Crowhop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences Between "Regular" and "Crowhop"

Ok, just wondering, what is if any are the differences between the "regular" fancy shawl dance, and the crow hop? :p

Well from my perspective, the crow hop to me, means you imitate the way a crow moves.. aiyee, am I just getting my foot stuck in my mouth?

Just wanted some clarification that's all!:)

am I just getting my foot stuck in my mouth?
    well, I've never seen it done that way! :Chatter ;)
    - zeph

Comment

i seen them do the crow hop here and they really get some altitude with their "hops"
      Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

NOT EVEN!!!

Str8 fancy songs and Crow Hopz are WAYYY different from each other....and so is the dancing that goes along with it, especially if you're dancing Crow Style. The name of the dance may be called the Crow Hop, but it's more of a nickname because the dance originated from the people of the Crow Nation. The dancing done by the Crow people is not fast & fancy tho, it's slow and graceful, because it's a traditional dance. And the traditional Crow Hop songs are double beat & not single beat, like most Crow Hop songs that fancy dancers dance to. Oh, & I think you got the wrong bird...LoL The dance itself is not actually mimicking the Crow, but the Prairie Chicken. Just FYI.
        Last edited by Siale; 07-16-2002, 12:26 PM.
        "I'm so fresh and you so not..." ~ Dvera

Comment

Well that is one interpretation of it.

The two styles are really quite different. The speed and movements are also different. Not as many spins and kicks. I have always been taught that the dance mimicks the crow bird and thus some of the movements. Yes, the Crow tribe version is alot different than most versions. They do more of a skip step and dance on the half beat or off beat.
          To fully understand you need to hear the difference in the songs and see them in action or on video. My opinion is most people do not do the crow hop right. Very few and far between do you see one done well. IMHO :D
          "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

At first I wasnt sure wheather you were asking about the different between the crow hop and the straight fancy shawl dance because they are clearly different. I was also taught that the crow hop was immitating the crow and a couple of years ago I ealized it's a bit like the bufflo dance that comes from the west. The beat to the crow hop songs are distinct and usually at a slower pace. The fancy shawl dance is best known for its fast pace beat and the foot work where there isnt much footwork in the crow hop. Hope I helped :)
            How u gonna act like my shawl dont bling? How u gonna act like my fringe dont swing?

Comment

PRAIRIE CHICKEN!!!!

Again, I must say...the Crow Hop is NOT mimicking the movements of the CROW bird, but the PRAIRIE CHICKEN. How many of ya'll have actually SEEN a crow dance?? Anywayz, whoever told you that you were dancing Crow Hop to imitate a Crow prolly didn't know what they were talking about.

Comment

Again... I was taught the crow hop was imitation of the crow and no the ..."prairie chicken" or whatever that is. Maybe its just an Eastern Woodlands thing? And how can you just go and say that who ever taught me this is "didnt know what they were talking about"? Dont be so quick to judge.
                How u gonna act like my shawl dont bling? How u gonna act like my fringe dont swing?

Comment

Originators

I gotta agree with my girl Siale, the crow hop is a traditional crow dance based on mimicking a prairie chicken. Sure other tribes have their interpretations of it & "stories" of how it may have origninated but for us Crows, the dancers mimic the prairie chicken. As she said it's called the Crow Hop because its origins are of that tribe.
                  (i agree with Mato, not many have this style of dance down)

Seeing as how the fancy dance is a more "modern" form of dance, the Crow hop has been changed from the traditional form to suit this style just many other styles have changed the dance.

To me a true Crow Hop is the traditional style dance to a double beat Crow hop song! Chaaaaaaaa!

~Buckskinz
                  *BE EASY*

Comment

Re: Originators

Originally posted by buckskin pantyhose

To me a true Crow Hop is the traditional style dance to a double beat Crow hop song! Chaaaaaaaa!

~Buckskinz
                    Couldn't have said it better myself. I was about to get mean...ayee...

;)

Comment

ok, I get the idea:p

I guess we all have different versions on how the dance came to be right? and different interpretations as well on how to perform and things like that.

Comment

Re: PRAIRIE CHICKEN!!!!

Originally posted by Siale
                        Again, I must say...the Crow Hop is NOT mimicking the movements of the CROW bird, but the PRAIRIE CHICKEN. How many of ya'll have actually SEEN a crow dance?? Anywayz, whoever told you that you were dancing Crow Hop to imitate a Crow prolly didn't know what they were talking about.
                        now be nice... like was said there are different teachings for different tribes.
                        Just to throw another mix in the pot, I was also taught that the prairie chicken was what was copied in the men's fancy and ruffle dance.
                        I have seen the crow dance. I suggest you sit and watch them. They do exactly what I am talking about. That is how one young woman was given the name "Dancing Crow", she mimicked the crow and got the dance down as we are talking about it.

And for the record I agree wholeheartedly with Buckskinz! :Thumbs
                        Last edited by Mato Winyan; 07-20-2002, 12:15 PM.
                        "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

I like the double beat crow hop. Its so pretty and graceful you don't really see it here, in Arizona "old style" but its very beautiful! I also agree with buckskinz!:p
                          :p Your First and Last Love Is Self Love! :p

Comment

CROW HOP

THese Crow girls are exactly right. That is the way I was taught and have learned. I have watched the Crow dancers dance and they have a cool thing they do on the honor beats or maybe its like one hard beat but man oh man is it KEWL!

When I was taught how to do the Makah dances from BC then I was told to imitate the birds to some fashion but I have never been told to mimic the regular old black Crow bird. Sheesh could you imagine if I did what that would look like? I imagine I would look like I had on a dirty diaper...AYE! HAHAHAHAHAHA... I"M KIDDING LADIES!!!

I do understand that there are different versions of dances and meanings and ways to imitate but the CROW HOP is CROW from the CROW TRIBE!!! Its just been edited and fast forwarded over time. Its evolved into what it is today for fancy dancers but still the old style is the old style and the way...HOKA!
                            Get up and get out!

Comment

:Thumbs , Tooter!
                              Not better. Not worse. Just different.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X