Cleaning and Sealing Ribbon Fringe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning and Sealing Ribbon Fringe

Hello, just asking on how to seal ribbon fringe on my shawl.. *sheepish* I didn't do that, and now some of the ends are frayed, and I am wondering what to use to "seal" them, so they don't do that again!

Also, what and how would I use, to clean some minor dirt patches? Not nocticble from far, but uplclose, and if you are picky like me, you can see them.

Thanks yall!:)

As far as sealing fringe, the best stuff out there that I've found is called Frey Check. You can get it at Walmart or any fabric store. It's basically a liquid plastic that dries clear and does not darken the ribon at all. Just be carefull not to let the ends of the ribbons dry stuck together.

MWP

Comment

Here is what I do

To keep the ribbon from fraying, I burn the ends of the ribbon. And I don't mean torch the things. Just hold the lighter about a half inch away, maybe a little closer. And you'll see the ends of the ribbon melt together.
      :)

Oh yeah, when I clean my shawls. I usually put them in the washing machine on gentle cycle. But I know some people are too scared to do that. I just tie my fringe in bunches. That way they don't get all tangled.
      Or another way I do it is just wash them in the bathtub. Then after they dry, I iron out the designs.
      :24:
      Last edited by }!{ tinkerbell }!{; 07-31-2002, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I burned the ends of my fringe and I have also used the Fray-Check stuff, it works great.

For the spots on my shawl, I just use soap and water to get the spots out because the designs on my shawl is handpainted. But I was thinking that I could use those Dryel bags to get them clean.
        Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

That is what I was thinking of using, to clean the "spots". The Dryel stain remover, and the absorbing pad.

As for the fringe, I am going downtown tomorrow and using a sharp cutting wheel, and getting that part done with, trimming what has frayed. Ack! Wish that I would have thought of that before.

Just one more question, if I was to reduce the length of fringe, how would I mark it, so I would know where to cut? Just curious

Thanks yall!

Comment

Mark it with chalk. That might help.
            Apache jump on it, jump on it, jump on it!!!!!

"Insert words of wisdom here"

Comment

Good Luck with that I'd have it crooked!!!

Comment

Yes, I have got all of the fringes "trimmed" and I am just waiting to get some dough, then I will head off to Wal-Mart and get some fray check.

I am too chicken to use a match or flame. Sunk too much money into it to try it:p

Comment

Are you talking about using a rotary cutter to trim your frayed ends of the fringe like the quilters use? If so, they have clear rulers that they use that you hold the rotary cutter against and get a straight line.

What I do is get a piece of cardboard and use it like a placeholder. Some clear rulers are 6 inches, some 5, etc.. So like if you want your fringe trimmed to 20 inches, or 19 1/2 to get rid of the frays: you'll need a cardboard piece thats 14 inches wide (or 13 1/2) to put against the edge of your shawl with the fringe laying flat and straight under it. Then put the ruler against this, so the ends of the fringe are sticking out, then trim with the rotary cutter.

Using a candle to singe the ends of the ribbon is way faster than using fray check. Practice with a scrap piece of ribbon if you want to try it. Bring the end up to the side of the flame just close enough so the end seals up, and not so it melts and turns black. But if it does, just snip it off, and do it again.
                  ...it is what it is...

Comment

for washing your shawl we always drop them in a pillow case then seal the end of the case so it wont come out and toss in the washer.. our pillow case has a zipper end so sealing it is easy...

on shorting your fringe I would take the shawl to the kitchen/dining room table if it has a side to it (not oval/round) if the table doesn't try the counter tops in the kitchen

what we do is to put the edge of the shawl right to the edge of the surface you are working on and let the fringe hang to the floor. use a couple books to hold it still. i then put a piece of cardboard that is as long as I want the finge, behinde the fringe that I am going to trim. Anything hanging below the cardboard gets cut then move the shawl a little and repeat till finished.

you do't have to have a spot that is as wide as one side of your shawl is, I only have a couple feet of counter space. so I cut what I can and then reposition the shawl

hope this helps and I agree on the fray check

Comment

We have also used clear fingernail polish.
                      This is life, and I'm lovin it!

Comment

Have never put a shawl in the washer -- Put too much effort into them -- ours always go to the dry cleaners!

Got a good one in OKC that knows about indian clothes and are reasonable. Only washing at home is dance shirts and scarves. Everything else goes to the cleaners. Don't want to chance rusty water, or someone mesing with the heat setting on the dryer!

Comment

Hey, I did the Freycheck thing! By golly it worked, but it took over two hours to do each and every fringe.

Some of the fringes look a bit darker with the freycheck, but other then that it went well, smelled a bit funny, the freycheck, and got on my hands, then it peeled off! How can you tell I am a novice and new to that:p

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X