Future of women's fancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of women's fancy

I have been dancing since I was about 13 yrs old, although didn't really get into the circuit until several years ago. During that time I have noticed a decreased interest in fancy... is it just me? Most of my younger female relatives, who do not dance, said that they would be interested in traditional or jingle rather than fancy. What's up with that! Do ya'll think women's fancy is going out of style? Just a though... but even so, I'll dance fancy till I can't dance anymore. I can see it now, me in golden age, skipping around the arena... I love it! :D
    Peace, love, and bear grease

I think this is good observation. I notice that there are a lot more jingle or traditional dancers than there are fancy, and I was wondering the same thing. I think maybe cuz, with both jingle and tradish, you can make one set of leggings and moccs and wear various dresses and still look good, but with fancy, it looks better with a variety of outfits. Just my thoughts.

Comment

No doubt that Jingle is very popular but, I've seen NO SHORTAGE of Fancy Shawl dancers at any of the big powwows (i.e. Gathering of Nations, etc...) !

http://spaces.msn.com/members/purplemartins/

Comment

I think it goes in cycles. Does anybody remember when grass started becoming real popular? There was a decrease in men's fancy and traditional then, too. But it changed and now there's a lot more men's fancy and traditional dancers out there. I'm guessing the same thing will happen to women's categories. Just my thoughts.
        Not better. Not worse. Just different.

Comment

This is good to hear... so this is just a low for fancy, and it will pick up. After hearing from everyone, I agree... and your right waleli, definately no shortage of fancy at the big pow wow's (i.e. gathering). I was there... so many fancy, it was hectic. For the time being, this low in fancy is fine w/ me. I'll just keep on dancing, and maybe even slip in a win here or there! Thanks for your thoughts!
          Peace, love, and bear grease

Comment

My thoughts exactly (....what she said.. :D )

It really does go in cycles. I still remember back when there would be only one or two jingle dress dancers at powwows, or one or two men's fancy dancer's, grass dancers, etc. There seems to be a higher turn-over in women's fancy...people move in and out of that category more often than others, but the numbers are likely to go up again.

Two-cents

Comment

Yo Bob,
              I don't believe all ndn chicks are fat nor are the fine looking young ones all having babies. Watch yourself, some of us can have kids and not be fat, some of us choose not to have kids, maybe some of us don't want to be with you

Most fancy dancers I know have kids and still dance fancy even after birth I say keep dancing girls I applaud all the fancy dancers out there

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: deltadawn ]
              Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Where are the moderators when we need them?

Bob, I am sad that you feel that way, certainly that is not the truth!

Not all of the "Fine young ones" are having babies, there are many native women who chose to get an education, job, a life before they choose to have children

Thank the lord I have the good sense my mother and female realtions installed on me, to see what dumbasses there are out there :D

Comment

Has anyone checked out any of bob's posts in other threads? Please don't encourage this behavior by giving him what he wants and reacting to his nonsense.

Comment

beleive me, there are lots of shawl dancers out there, more at larger pw's, travel around more and you'll see, i found alot of girls i use to dance with went to jingle, or tradish, i do understand why, it can be very stressful i know personally, i thought when my daughter was old enough to be in adult cat. i thought i would of stopped, but i just couldnt give it up, its the excitement of the dance, its awlsome, you can really get lost out there when that drum is jamming, you dont even see anyone, your in your own world. it takes alot of dedication to stay in shape, i know im guilty of not being in shape the way that i would want to be, to much beading sitting on myAAAAAAA. im a grand ma now and still cant give it up, i guess ill shawl dance as long as i can, ive had ailments over the years, that still didnt stop me, there's always gonna be young ones coming up, just this last w/e i got freaked out because one of the girls was dancing with me in comp. didnt realize till after the contest that she was 18, i remember as one of my students, hooooola, im very thankful to be able to still fancy, when im out there i dance for those who are not able to dance, i feel very blessed. you go girls keep on dancing, and feel goooooooood
                    LIVE,LOVE AND BE FREE AND RELEASE YOUR INTERSELF :)

Comment

My favorite catagory and I agree with the cycle thing because I think what is going to be popular next is Mens' Chicken dancing. It's all around up north and spreading south and so the cycle continues....
                      For those that dance Womens' Fancy, keep it up, I love watching you all!!! ;)
                      -El Oso

Comment

i Have seen a lot of girls dance fancy and jingle not many girls my age that i know dance tradtional! I dance all 3 catergorys and love them all. Now bob you are such a jerk! Not all native girls have kids i don't have a kid and i am native and getting a education! And you shouldn't make fun of the so called fat girls we all have feelings and guess what the so called fat girls get guys too so i say to all antive girls my age keep on dancing and show these kind of people wut we are made out of!
                        ~Ayita~
                        ~NATIVE PRIDE~

Comment

that's all the world needs are more fat, "educated" women

Comment

Hello All,

I may be off the track here, but see that you all seem to be much, much more experienced at all of this than I. I am looking for patterns to be able to make regalia. The only one I have seen is actually a "costume" pattern at the local Walmart. It served it's purpose, but am looking for more along the lines of actual traditional styles of skirts, blouses, and the mens ribbon shirts.

Went to one powwow and like a dummy didn't pick any up. Now needing them.

Thanks for any help!!
                            Gentle Heart Soul Healer

Comment

You can find a wide array of patterns for ribbon shirts, cloth & buckskin dresses,etc... at www.crazycrow.com

http://spaces.msn.com/members/purplemartins/

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X