Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help from my fancy Shawlin Sistahs!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help from my fancy Shawlin Sistahs!!!

I need tips on...

Whuts the best way to condition my calves?...
    Whuts the best way to condition my arms?...

And when dancing...
    WHUT EXACTLY should I be doing with my legs when dancing?
    WHAT EXACTLY should I be doing with my arms/shawl?

What else do I need to condition????

:p Thanx guyz!!! I know I can count on ya!!!:p
    Last edited by Red_Passion49; 11-26-2002, 01:57 PM.
    ..::First ever 2002-2003 Powwows.com Princess::..
    ~*~*~* The original POWWOWCHIC49 *~*~*~
    *~*JINGLE IT*~*

There is a good program that i started today, it is where you are set up for 13 weeks, and it is a running program.

The Begging Runner's Handbook-Proven 13 Week Walk/Run Program by Ian Macneill and The Sport Medicine Council Of BC

This book should be able to be found in all bookstores. In regards to weights, no more then half an hour a day starting, and dont do both on the same day. You need a day of rest so that your body can catch up

Good things for calfs are: stand on the stairs, with the ball of your foot, and flex up and down, without touch the stairs, and you can feel that work.

For the arms, try lying down on a weight bench, use some hand weights, and lay your arms out flat, and then bring them towards the center, so that the weights touch.

For the legs, try leg curls or extentions, on one of those machines.

Thats about all I can think of now, thirsty and gotta run;)

Comment

Sounz good to me!!! What else ladies?
      *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

Eat right! No junk! I mean pop, powdered juice, chips, candy.. it's a big no no!

Comment

exercise

all i do is walk one hour a day. lift weights 1/2 an hour day. then run one hour after supper-1/2 an hour one way and 1/2 an hour the way back. thats all i do. i do that two times a week. tuesday and thursday. then i just sit around and rest. i have junkfood but i limit it to one to two bagsof :devilchips:devil a week, 2:Angel:chocolate bars:Angel: a day,and a couple if bottles of:Angel: pop :Angel: a day and lots of water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and pretty much every food groups a day. with the required servings.
          Last edited by clrezchik_12; 11-29-2002, 02:29 PM.
          *Stephanie

R.I.P Alex Archie
          March 12, 1966 to May 7, 2003
          ***AIDS***
          Creator Please Help Us Find A Cure..

Comment

Re: exercise

Originally posted by clrezchik_12
            all i do is walk one hour a day. lift weights 1/2 an hour day. then run one hour after supper-1/2 an hour one way and 1/2 an hour the way back. thats all i do. i do that two times a week. tuesday and thursday. then i just sit around and rest. i have junkfood but i limit it to one to two bagsof :devilchips:devil a week, 2:Angel:chocolate bars:Angel: a day,and a couple if bottles of:Angel: pop :Angel: a day and lots of water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and pretty much every food groups a day. with the required servings.
            You are a lucky girl, in regards to that diet, clrezchik..*hehe* I don't even go near that stuff, all I allow myself is once a week, either a small bag of chips, or a regular can of pop. That's it! There is one exception, I like to have my large double double and a Carrot Cake from Tim Hortons

Comment

Alright, thats good stuff

But what I want to know is more like, what about DANCING. The fitness stuff I can handle, but I want to know more about DANCING. Like how many hours of dancing should I be doing? What is my shawl supposed to be doin? What are my legs supposed to be doing? DANCING tips rather than diet/excercise!!! thanks though!:p
              *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

your legs should always be on beat for one. you should know when to stop at the right time. another thing is your arms should always being moving cuz a butterfly can't stay in once spot forever. another thing is you should always be junping cuz if you don't. your butterfly will drop. lots of spinning too. good foy you trying to find out.:) :Angel2
                *Stephanie

R.I.P Alex Archie
                March 12, 1966 to May 7, 2003
                ***AIDS***
                Creator Please Help Us Find A Cure..

Comment

Coolness!

Thankz gurrrrl!
                  *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

I hear ya gurrrrl!

Oooo Gurrrrl! I try to do two SONGS a night, I dont know about two hours, I need to get on the ball though!!! I been doin that side step too, oh damn it kills my calves!!! Good advice watchin other chix though, Im takin notes!!!!:p
                    *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

Dancing tips

I usually try to do two songs per night. I mean that's generally the maximum a dancer will do consecutively anyways. But then again, when you go to a big Powwow and the Grand Entry lasts an hour then it's a different story. . Also, keep your arms up wheter they're moving or not. Do a lot of kicks, spins, jumps and of course the usual steps. Add your own flava, and last but not least keep the beat of the drum.

I had a question for Niimi:

Is it possible to "steal" moves subconciencly? I mean, there's only a certain amount of moves out there. I find that when I see the experienced dancers rock a move, the next time I dance I automatically try it....some times it works and sometimes not. I guess I just want to know what warrants "stealing" a move. Thanks!
                      Got percap?

Comment

Gurl..
                        You betta stop frontin and call your GURL KRISSY!! come on ova to IAIA and we'll practice..uh-huh..lol...no im not playin!!

Comment

Laughin my bootay off!!!

Gaaah Cuz!:Chatter Now you know I dont need no practice!!! LOL I need to get my butt in SHAPE fo sho!!! Jus rugged!!! Im sober now, Im straight!!! :Chatter
                          *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

Hey!
                            When I first started doing fancy, I didn't know much except what a few folks told me. I sat and watched the other fancy shawl dancers, watched their styles, their footwork, how they went with the beat. A good thing to do that a lot of people watch is tryin to stay on your toes, not letting your heel touch the ground too much, it's hard, it took me a while to try and master and trust me! I still haven't! It's hard, but it's practice. I practice as much as I can. I'll be listening to the radio or a music station on Television and just go to the beat, it's easy, and it's fun, too. Sometimes you can get into a lot that way. Then of course I got my drum cd's that I jam out to for practice too.
                            With your arms, they should always be moving, make up some different moves for them, turning your shawl different ways to give it different effects. When you spin, you can hold it different ways and if you swing your arms up and down as you spin, depending on the speed, it gives some pretty neat effects, too. With your footwork, different things! Lol! You can come up with about anything if you put your mind to it. I don't think there's really a problem with using some steps that other dancers use, we all think of some things the same. You could come up with it and then see someone else using it too, but it doesn't mean you stole it or vice versa! You can also move your head different ways to the beat, like pointing your chin towards your arms when you move them up and down or looking at different things, but always keeping your head held high! :supperhap
                            I always say dance your heart, go with how you feel, use your inner gut to determine how hard you dance, or how you get into it. Different times you'll feel different ways about it. Sometimes it depends on the drum too. It's hard to dance to some drums, you just can't get the "feel", and then there will be others that you can just rock to. But always go with your heart, your inner intuition and don't let someone tell you that you are doing something wrong just because that's not the way that they do it!
                            ;) Have fun with what you do and be proud!!!!!
                            My Grandma always said, "Take a person of each race, cut them open, we're all the same on the inside."

"This is me- this is who I am.
                            Learn about me, live like me,
                            before you try and judge me.
                            I am me- that's who I'll be,
                            like me or don't, love me or won't,
                            I won't change for anyone.
                            Respect me for me-
                            I respect you for you,
                            live your dreams,
                            one day it may all come true!"

Comment

Great advice!!!

Keep it coming!!!:p
                              *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X