Whatever happened to..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to..........

Just wondering about some ladies I used to dance with, where they are now and what they're doing since I haven't seen them in AGES! If anyone knows, or can think of anyone else, let's share the info.

Lana King - the last I heard, she was doing her residency at a hospital in MN, but I haven't seen her dance in years and years.

Joy Anderson - used to be one of my all-time favorites! The only time I've seen her dance in the past few years was up at Prairie Island summer powwow in 2003.

Donetta Squiemphen (formerly Ewalk) - saw her at GON in 2004 when I was pregnant, but she wasn't dancing. Last time I saw her dance was on that Robert Mirabal video recorded out at Foxwoods. She had it all - speed, footwork, outfits, stamina, etc.

Danelle Tailfeathers - loved the way she danced too. Haven't seen her dance since Denver March back in '97.

Noreen Monteur Parker - I think the last time I saw her was at Schemitzun in '96. I remember when she made her first sequined outfit and it was in bright neon green way back when. Very innovative for her area.

Nice to see Murielle Stewart back on the trail this summer!

I always wish Angie Hindsley would start shawl dancing again...she was one of my favorites too.

I was thinking of more, but I'm getting a headache from work now. I'll post more later if I remember then.

ndnMSW

What about Ramona Roach?
    I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

I saw Ramona quite a bit this summer at all the "35 and over" powwows. Lol. Her and Norman, their daughter and their grandbaby, were finally hittin the trail. She said she injured herself running awhile back and it took forever to heal, so they just stayed home and worked (I think they both teach). It was nice to see her too because it had been awhile.

BTW, since you're over that way, how is Tooter doing? I heard she tore her ACL long time ago and has been on the disabled list for some time. I think the last time I saw her dance was on a video a friend made for me from Schemitzun '98.

AND, where has Sancha Windyboy been? She's always my GON bud, but she wasn't there this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ndnMSW
        BTW, since you're over that way, how is Tooter doing? I heard she tore her ACL long time ago and has been on the disabled list for some time. I think the last time I saw her dance was on a video a friend made for me from Schemitzun '98.
        She has switched to jingle and dances sometimes in that category. Last time I saw her dance was a few years ago when she was head lady dancer at our Cherokee Youth Center pow wow. She is in your profession and does a lot of good for the children here on the reservation.
        I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Thought of a couple more.

Amy Bearskin - I think she's in grad school and working, but not sure. Has anyone seen her dance lately???? I haven't seen her dance for a couple of years.

Antoinette Begay-Yazzie - she was sure strong in teens and up and coming in women's, but I haven't seen her anywhere for years either. Of course I'm kinda limited where I go and I don't travel out her way much.

Michelle Jim - again, another strong dancer but I haven't seen her anywhere either. Maybe she stays out her way, where I don't go very often.

Josette Wawahsuck - I saw her this summer dancing jingle and traditional (near the end of summer) because I think her baby is due in November or December.

Comment

gaw!! just got me thinkin!! where is donetta (super cool dancer!! - miss her style), danelle (named our first after her - rissa danelle), antoinette and amy stays mostly close to home (her job!!) - she has a hi5 profile go check it out ...

wonder how it feels to be actually on this list?!? at least we all still remember them!!!
            Watch your broken dreams...
            Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Originally posted by chazziff
              gaw!! just got me thinkin!! where is donetta (super cool dancer!! - miss her style), danelle (named our first after her - rissa danelle), antoinette and amy stays mostly close to home (her job!!) - she has a hi5 profile go check it out ...

wonder how it feels to be actually on this list?!? at least we all still remember them!!!
              I remember dancing at United Tribes back in '91 and just about everyone on this list was there. Women's fancy was packed, and alot of the current champs were just in teens or even juniors!

BTW, if I haven't mentioned a dancer on this list, it's because I have seen them dance over this past year (like Ramona Roach), or I haven't recalled their name yet.. That's why I wanted help with the info or more names.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.