Beaded headband anyone????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaded headband anyone????

Is that what they are called or is it something else. Well they are very nice looking. My daughter had one a few years ago that went across her forehead and now I want to make one that sits at the top of the head in her hair. Does anyone know how they stay in the hair? I've heard to put velcro on the back and it stays put that way. I have my design all ready and now I'm not sure where to start. Should I put a plastic lid under for some stiffness like a barrette or no? I could use some advice. Thanks
    The focus determines the path.[COLOR=YellowGreen]undefined[/COL

check out one of my old threads in the beadwork forum:
    http://powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=29970
    sigpic

See my trading post ads
    See my photo gallery
    See walela49's myspace page

Comment

Originally posted by 5lilndns
      Is that what they are called or is it something else. Well they are very nice looking. My daughter had one a few years ago that went across her forehead and now I want to make one that sits at the top of the head in her hair. Does anyone know how they stay in the hair? I've heard to put velcro on the back and it stays put that way. I have my design all ready and now I'm not sure where to start. Should I put a plastic lid under for some stiffness like a barrette or no? I could use some advice. Thanks

5lil,

I remember the first two shawl dancers that I ever saw wear headbands. They were Candace Anderson and Lana King. Both got teased a lot. Lana even got called "Land o Lakes!"

But look what their persistance has done. It has spawned a whole generation of headband wearers!

My niece wears a headband like you are describing and "it don't go nowhere" when she dances. I will ask her how she keeps it on.
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

beaded headband problem

for my head bands i just use elastic, i don't know if velco would stay.

the problem with elastic is that it would show at the back of ur head. But if you wear plumes no one will notice it.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
          My niece wears a headband like you are describing and "it don't go nowhere" when she dances. I will ask her how she keeps it on.

5lil,

I just got of the phone with my niece.

She said she has different headbands to match her different outfits.

I asked her specifically about the headband that sits on top of her head and goes behind her ears. She said it is actually a strand prefabricated rhinestones. The strand is anchored with bobbiepins that sit inbetween the rhinestones.
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Velcro works great. You don't have to have but maybe three spots of it (make sure it's the hook part ) because if you put it across the whole band it could get all tangled in the hair and you'd never get it out!
            "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.