what don't you like to see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what don't you like to see?

Now, someone made me angry in another place so i had to come find you guys to calm me down...but while I am on the iffy side...what is something you don't like to see in a fancy shawl dancer....i don't like to see too much running....its the easy way out...i like to see good footwork!

your turn..what is your fancy shawlin pet peeve?:D
    ~~I'm not settlin for anything less than everything~~

www.myspace.com/billiot

fancy dancy...

In fancy dancing, I don't really like to see them out there flailing their arms all about, kinda looking out of control, like their just jumping around with their arms flying all over the place, it should be somewhat coincidal, like stylish..and yeah running all over the place too...some seem to do that just to get noticed by the judges, but if they thought about it more, they would see that it's not necessary. I've judged before, and it looks really bad...that's all for my thoughts..
    Tanksida

Comment

what don't you like to see?

One thing I dont like to see is when the girls' fringe is touching the floor. Alot of the girls are doing this nowadays because it "looks good flowing through the air", but I was always taught not to let mine touch the floor. I guess its just one of those things that depend on what you culture is. That just makes me mad though. Just my opinion.
      "Our Indian life, I know, is gone forever." Waheenee Hidatsa "HAKUNA MATATA"

Comment

Let's see .......I don't dance fancy but I do get an opportunity to judge quite a bit and what I don't like to see is dancers just swinging and flailing their arms any old way.....looks sloppy. Or just thrashing their shawls around to make it look like their doing something. But my biggest peeve is some of the shawl dancers who don't look after their stuff. Some of them are dancing with old, falling apart looking outfits or shawls that look like they haven't washed them in a while. You can tell the ones who take care of their stuff cuz they have poise and style in the way they carry themselves. I tend to watch the ones who present themselves in such a way.

Comment

When a fancy dancer looks like they have memorized their dance rountine and throws their shawl around like they have a bee caught somewhere. Toward the end of the song, they are running around because they are burned out.

Also when fancy dancers do not dance in any intertribals and "kick it out" so to speak during contest right in judges faces to get noticed.

Comment

Hmmmm.......

I really like to see One legged spins! Oh man! When Im judgin, thats the first thing I look for.

I like to see good foot work and control of the shawl in the beginning of the song, then as they go, get to spinning and gettin all crazy, aye, in a indian dance kind of way!

But you know how some girls can do that like, put theyre foot behind them and spin theyre leg at the same time theyre spinning that same direction and go the other way and do the same thing but make it look all smooth and bad ***?!??! ok that made no sense at all, to hard to explain! LOL
            Last edited by Tooter; 02-17-2003, 05:48 PM.
            ..::First ever 2002-2003 Powwows.com Princess::..
            ~*~*~* The original POWWOWCHIC49 *~*~*~
            *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

i like.........

i like to see just the dancing no matter how bad they dance because pow-wow dancers are there to gather and meet old and new friends not to judge a person on how they look at all or how they dance but just to be there for the pow-wow.
              yes i have judged before and i know the judging technique of the dancers but there is specific techniques in what to look for. I don't like mainly spinning and really really extremely artistic dance moves. well yeah that is my opinion and some people may think that i am wrong about the way that i act. but thats there problem...........i don't care. :Angel: :p :rainbw:
              *Stephanie

R.I.P Alex Archie
              March 12, 1966 to May 7, 2003
              ***AIDS***
              Creator Please Help Us Find A Cure..

Comment

Chicken Bobbing --------- what more can I say :Chatter
                I hate it when they bob their heads like chickens. It dont look very graceful......... AT ALL. It looks gross, lol jk not gross it just dosnet look good, to me anyways.
                NO MY EYES REALLY DONT LOOK LIKE THAT........ THATS ME AS A BRATZ DOLL ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:

Comment

edited.
                  Last edited by Tooter; 02-17-2003, 05:52 PM.

Comment

A Ho Tearinup Ole Style well said!
                    "Some of ya biggest haters are really ya biggest admirers. Their pride and fear won't allow them to tell ya the truth!" Litefoot

Comment

I also applaude Tearinup ole style.

We need to remember that everyone has to start some where. My niece Fancy Shawls, and it is a blessing to know were she started from and to see how far she has come. She knows she need to practice, and trys. But just because she is not perfect today, does not mean that she shouldn't dance.

Comment

all good responses...

I am agreeing with all of the techniques comments here...but I have only been dancing for three years and I.m gonna have to agree with pow wow chic on this one...I mean...intertribals are okay for practice...but I don't think they should dance contests...again I do dance contest at small pow wows and occasionally big ones. but if I know who my competition is then I won't contest ya know...if there are three places and all the pros are there..then why embarass myself with my one outfit say and they have ten outfits (for example). Iwould rather sit back and enjoy them...and if I leave filling like I could have competed with them..well then good that makes me a better dancer and I'll go home and practice for the next one....I would have to say getting the experience of a fancy shawl dancer involves watching from the best! And people tell me I'm good and I have a unique style..but I'd rather just watch sometimes....

but yeah..i don't like the stiffness.it irks me to death to see a girl who kicks so stiff and wildly....it looks to routine...i don't make up routines....how on earth would that work...i just go for it..thats how I learned..just feeling the drum and movin with it...and i tried the head bobbing a little once...(not throwing out my neck though) and i realized it looks a little jaggered...

I think a person knows they've danced well if they could feel their arms the next day..not soo much your legs..but your arms are key..because I don't know aboutyou guys but I don't practice with my arms in shawl moving postion allt he time...and I keep them up when I dance....actually it helps me remember to keep them up...if I feel them then they are in the right place and workin the shawl as needed...anyway....enough from me for now i guess..

now...after this weekend..i need to go work on an outfit bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        ~~I'm not settlin for anything less than everything~~

www.myspace.com/billiot

Comment

I was not refering to the children who were dancing, they probably have more wisdom than a lot of adults. I love to see children dance because they are not critical of each other or back stabbing each other, that is a LEARNED behavior. When they dance, it comes form their heart, this is what real dancing comes from, we can learn alot from them. This is also true of people who are coming into the circle for the first time to dance, they are taking a healthy risk by trying something new, I applaud them, not tear them down.

I was referring to dancers who only dance in the grand entry for points, never dance during intertribals, and only show up for contest, expecting judges to give them first place becasue of who they are even if they have to run around halfway through the song, or by flapping around like a bird like it would give them an advantage.
                          Last edited by thizgirlpowwows; 02-17-2003, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I like this thread.....

I like this reply that powwow_junkie as posted.... I have seen alot of dancers Dance for the points and for the money and i don't respect it at all. Dancing means dancing for yourself, your family. your friends, your community, and the people........
                            *Stephanie

R.I.P Alex Archie
                            March 12, 1966 to May 7, 2003
                            ***AIDS***
                            Creator Please Help Us Find A Cure..

Comment

edited
                              Last edited by Tooter; 02-17-2003, 05:55 PM.
                              "In the depths of a mind insane
                              Fantasy and reality are the same"
                              - SLAYER

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X