Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Tiny Tots outfit.. fancy shawl

hello

would like some advice on how to clean satin fabric.. tiny tots skirt.. she dripped like.. snow cone on it.. then some pow wow dirt on it.. best way to clean? also for shawls my older girls have shawls.. they are 8.. and when they put their shawls on it dragged in dirt.. mostly juss dry dusty pow wow dirt.. but fringe has white .. well what use to be white.. best way to wash them?

Satin can be really tricky. Myself I would probably wash it by hand and take care not to wring it or squeeze it to get the water out..........hang to dry. I wouldn't try to just spot clean because it would leave water marks and they aren not pretty!

I found satin wrinkles terribly in the washer and the wringing action can put too much stress on some seams and they will give way taking fabric with it. :

When I do have to iron........ I iron the wrong side with a dry iron (again water spots) and usually us a pressing cloth. Some satins melt way to easy so I'd also be careful not to have it too hot. Test on the backside or a scrap.
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

i would dry clean it .. better the spend a lil bit on drycleaning than alot more for all new regalia.

for the shawl, i've put shawls in the washer .. delicate cycle .. in a pillowcase. came out ok .. wasnt satin material (not sure the real name for it but i know it as "shawl material" LOL and it was chainette fringe) .. just had to do some minimal untangling of the fringe. and there was no applique done on the shawl either ..
      Watch your broken dreams...
      Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

What always worked for me, woolite and cold water. I would wash my shawl and/or skirt in the bathtub. If there were stubburn stains, a white bar of soap always did the trick. The tricky part is getting the water out of the material, I would try to squeeze as much water out without "ringing" the material, then I would wrap the shawl or skirt in a towel and then stomp the rest of the water out. Then hang it outside to dry (inside out, so the sun won't fade the material). I would always have to iron it afterwards too! Good Luck!!

Comment

for my lil girls tiny tots regalia .. i prewashed everything .. all the material (canvas, satins, cottons) and then sewed it together. then i was able to throw everything in the washing machine on the gentle cycle and had no problems with fraying and such. it was sewed together very well .. serged sems and sewing machined appliqued on the designs .. and then was able to put it in the dryer on low with minimal ironing .. and it was satin material and even some silks

i still have the stuff that i made for my 11 year old and its held up for my now 2 year old ... and even my grandkids .. LOL .. so some of it has gone threw like 4 - 6 kids
          Watch your broken dreams...
          Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Originally posted by chazziff
            for my lil girls tiny tots regalia .. i prewashed everything .. all the material (canvas, satins, cottons) and then sewed it together. then i was able to throw everything in the washing machine on the gentle cycle and had no problems with fraying and such. it was sewed together very well
            this is what i did when my daughter was younger, prewash her material..........when her outfit needed washing, i would use the gentle cycle with cold water......and then line dry them..........they came out fine.

Comment

The dry cleaners in my area won't touch regalia of any kind. I have spot cleaned ours and had to use dawn dish soap diluted on a cloth to get out grease, and hand wash in woolite and hang dry, be careful ironing- use a cloth you can get spots, like what was said above. I have made a "bib" that goes over my 8 year olds front part of her body when she's sitting and eating, haha, it works great, and I don't have to chase her around covering her up or taking off regalia and putting it back on.

Comment

Some of the satin, especially bridal satin sold in Walmart, is dry clean only.

But the shout wipes work good on this and don't leave much of a water mark.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.