Help please! :]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please! :]

How do you ladies attach feathers to the back of your head? I got some fluffs, but they're not real, and I was wondering how you do it.

Leah
    "Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

well I place mine in with my barrett, and (just cause I want to be certain it will stay thier) I braid the excess lacing on the end, into my hair. I have also seen women attach them to the back of the barrett permantly, but I like to put mine away into my feather box. But if yours since eagle feathers, attaching them to your barrett is definatly an option.
    Suzze

Comment

That actually helps a lot, but how do you get them to stay in your barrett? I'm always afraid that mine will fall out.
      "Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Comment

Everyone has their own method.

Assuming you want the plumes to stand straight up....

What I do is arrange the plumes into a neat bunch and then wrap the shafts with thread and glue onto a piece of stiff wire or a bamboo skewer. This gives them a "handle" so you don't ruin the delicate fluff at the bottom of the feathers. You also get some extra length to the plumes and so they sit higher on your head.

Once you have the plumes attached to an extender, glue on a wrap of buckskin to further neaten and secure your thread wrapping. Decorate further if desired, with colored floss or beadwork.

You can use a small barrette or two to secure the plumes to your head and then cover this with your larger back barrette.

Or you can cut tiny slits into the leather backing of your back barrette and wedge the handle of your plumes in and out of that, behind the clip part.

If done with care, either of these methods will withstand hurricane force winds! :-)

Comment

Thank you ladies! That helps so much!

Comment

I prepare the feathers / plumes the same as Czechy & insert as per the method below.
            Suzze

Originally posted by Czechy
            Or you can cut tiny slits into the leather backing of your back barrette and wedge the handle of your plumes in and out of that, behind the clip part.

If done with care, either of these methods will withstand hurricane force winds! :-)

Comment

Well I just finished making them tonight, it took a couple days (mainly because I was doing other things), but they came out alright. They're kind of short, but I like them. :]

Thanks to all those that helped and gave inspiration!

-Leah

Comment

They are lovely. And size doesn't matter, just the time, care & respect that went into your work, cause thats what shows.
                Beautiful job.
                Suzze

Comment

I just loved the blue you used. It's really pretty.
                  "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X