Fancy Dancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fancy Dancing

I have wanted ot dance at Powwows since I was five. But back then I was way to shy to leave my mothers side neverless dance infront of alot of people. But now that I'm older I have started looking back into it. My parents are not as into my Native American backgrond and tradition as much as me and my 2 sister our. If it were not for my grandmother's teaching of the old ways, I would not even know I who I am and where I came from.My heart and soul has been into dancing ever since I was little. But unfortunately our Family has only attened powwows when they come to North Carolina (our home) . And I am unsure of how to go about becoming a dancer. I do not want to our traditions to die down with me I want to be able to pass them down to my children and my grandchildren. I really would apriciate any information avalible about this subject.

Lildreamer

that sounds kinda similar to what i was goin through
    what i did was learn by watchin go to a lot of pow wows
    ask ppl questions ppl are always willing to help if you ask nicely, and dont 4get to find out what your tribe does first

and the way it worked for me is once my fam saw that i was really dedicated to dancing they gave me more support

good luck

Comment

re

Dude thanks for the tip!!:Angel2

Comment

It depends on what style you want to dance as well. One must understand the origins and meanings of the dances before deciding.

But I'm with Lumbee Turtle (btw nice pic), watch girls at powwows and bust out some of the moves during intertribals. Pick yourself up a few powwow CD's (even one is good) and practice at home.

Creating your outfit is not as hard as it might seem at first glance. Depending on which style you choose. Beadwork can be replaced with appliqué. If you need ideas/help on outfits just PM me.

Once your regalia is complete (or close enough) you should have a giveaway to introduce yourself and your regalia to the arena.

But my main advice is to practice, and DON'T be discouraged by other dancers. Remember that the majority of them have been doing it for the better part of their lives. Go for it girl, truss me it's the most beautiful feeling just freeing up while dancing and preserving our traditions.
        Got percap?

Comment

Originally posted by ojibwe-kwe
          It depends on what style you want to dance as well. One must understand the origins and meanings of the dances before deciding.

But I'm with Lumbee Turtle (btw nice pic), watch girls at powwows and bust out some of the moves during intertribals. Pick yourself up a few powwow CD's (even one is good) and practice at home.

Creating your outfit is not as hard as it might seem at first glance. Depending on which style you choose. Beadwork can be replaced with appliqué. If you need ideas/help on outfits just PM me.

Once your regalia is complete (or close enough) you should have a giveaway to introduce yourself and your regalia to the arena.

But my main advice is to practice, and DON'T be discouraged by other dancers. Remember that the majority of them have been doing it for the better part of their lives. Go for it girl, truss me it's the most beautiful feeling just freeing up while dancing and preserving our traditions.

good job boosting my confidence. i have those times too when i consider not practicing (like today) then i come on here and read something like that and i am encouraged. THANKS!
          ushoo' udish dee'

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X