Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a bib....??!

Hello there,

Okay here is the deal...I have jingle dance for years and that regalia holds no secret for me. However, my niece wants to Fancy Shawl and has asked me to design her regalia. I have done the skirt, I am half way through with the waistcoat part. I have tried to find old threads regarding the cape, but cannot find anything. I understand that it comes out of the shoulder seam of the waistcoat and folds over the shawl. I am pretty sure I will have to make it "hard" with interface iron on paper too. However, it will be completely beaded, so shall I just use felt for the top part, as if making a base for a rosette or hair tie (But in much larger... Does that make sense?). I am enclosing the design I have made for her. So that you can see what I am trying to achieve. The paws are done in applique and are her "trademark". She has them everywhere. I have added some ribbon all around the edges of the bib to make it more "Fancy". The shawl itself will be beaded with iridescent clear sequins to give it a 3D effect that you cannot see on the quick drawing.
    The red and blue fabric look like shiny metal.
    Any ideas to make this more "Fancy" are welcome... Thank you.
    Attached Files
    Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

First,

Your artwork is fantastic. If you sew half as good as you draw, the dress will come out as close to perfect as it possibly could.

I've seen several types of yolks sewn into the shoulder, I've also seen them button to the shoulder, and have "Suspenders" that come down the front, I've also seen them with yolks in the front and back..

I honestly like the snap on idea the best, but I'm just partial to suspenders I guess..

However, it sounds like your on the right track, and that your pretty confident, so I'd go with that.

If the design is going to be beaded, wouldn't just using a medium quality peice of leather be better than using felt? I'm not sure, but it would seem like you would get the same result, using a better quality product, that can be beaded just as easily.. Felt has a tendancy to get super nasty when it gets damp/wet (I had some cuffs that were beaded on felt, they're 4 years old, and I have to re-bead them, due to sweat).

I think the idea of the sequins on the shawl sound great, did were you going to have them lining the design, or all over the shawl? If its just enough to make the design pop, that sounds great!

As for making it "more fancy" the vest itself looks kind of plain, perhaps small pink and turquoise (or blue, I can't tell the color palate) pockets in the front, maybe with a contrasting design? Now sure how you'd want to go about it, but I would make the vest pop just a tad bit more, something to draw the eye.

The back of the cape, I would add more fringe, and personally I would round, and edge the corners, much like you have on the vest. If you want that boxy look like ya have now, thats cool, but I would HIGHLY suggest turning the cape into a heart... You've already got that thru out your design, and it would make it 'pop' that much more.

I would also make sure she had matching applique' hairties, sewn at first, then eventually beaded, as well as her headband/choker.. Sometimes we overlook the little things, just wanted to make sure you weren't :)

I hope I was able to be of SOME help... It looks great overall, and honestly, I think you'll do fantastic.

BTW, Interface Iron Paper does a great job, it's been used on just about everything I have except for my vest. (I should have used it to help my choker/headband keep in shape ><)
    AIM: GlacierESteffan
    Yahoo: low_rdr
    MSN: [email protected]

Comment

You have a very good start. Not much needs improving although I have come up with a couple of things for you to consider....

A full vest or waistcoat can be a rather warm thing to wear. A cooler set-up would be to simply attach the beaded back piece to the front portion at the shoulders instead of having another flap coming out of the shoulder seams of a full vest. The first style requires a tie or belt to go around the waist to keep everything in place. I've seen both styles so really it is a matter of personal choice and comfort.

If you are fully beading your cape, I recommend beading on canvas as your base matreial. Leather would work too but can be heavy and hot and get yucky from moisture. First do your beading. When done, iron on some double-sided adhesive like Heat-n-Bond to the back side and then iron on a calico lining. Trim your edges and bind with bias tape. Edge bead over the tape if you want.

For making your designs more striking, you may want to add some big swatches of color, like on the shawl. Maybe make the shawl half red and half blue with the paws in white and one other color- black or the blue if it is one the red side of the shawl, and rd on the blue side, etc. But if the whole outfit is going to be mainly white, then perhaps outlining the design elements in black will help them stand out a little more. Metallic gold would make it more rich too.

Since your designs are fairly simple, you could work with variations in texture. You are already doing a bit of this with the clear sequins but a bit more won't hurt. Perhaps find some interesting fabric for either the red and blue OR the white (not both), which has a small or subtle print or brocade on it. Some heat-set crystals might look cool too, either as accent or as an outline around the paws.

Just a few ideas...
      I'm sure you'll do fine. Have fun!

Comment

Your drawings are great, sorry I could not be of any more help!

Comment

Thanx Steffan

I am not sure if my initial reply has come through, so, it looks like I am having to type it all again. Internet wacipi!!

First of all thank you very much for your words of encouragement. I was not completely lost with it, however, it is one thing to wear your own mistake, but another when it is someone you care about, wearing it.

For the waistcoat, you are quite right. However, my niece is a fierce tomboy and colours are not something she really goe by. So, I had a brain storm and decided to fully bead with those iridiscent transculent sequins the bottom part, and gradually spacing them til they are just a few by the shoulders. Giving a very great sparkly 3D effect and compromising her taste with the requirements of her regalia.

As for those I will bead on the shawl, they will be beaded by clusters here and there.

Talking of the shawl, I have decided to try to create some sort of designed large ribbon work half way across. The blue fabric I got for her is amazing. It is quite like some liquid blue metal. You could almost see your reflection on it. I will use that as background colour with her red and white fabric in contrast.

For the bib (thank you so much Steffan), I have worked out that if I sew the extremeties of it between the front back and along the round of the neck of her waistcoat, then I can secure the shawl with two poppers by her neck area under the bib folding on it. It will come down from her shoulder blades and then meet lower down by her mid back. She wants to keep her square-ish design though. I will add lots of very slim ribbons all around it. To avoid it jumping too much while she dances, it will be held in place by a piece of white velcro on the shawl.

I have planned to do all her applique accessories (hair ties/chocker/earrings/barrette/headband) + fully beaded mocs, following her heart bear paw design. I have not got round to work out the beadwork yet. I am the type of person that worries about it, when I am about to thread the nymo on the needle (!). But I will use #11 two cuts/charlottes and metallic blue/red beads with Swarovski crystals on the outline to give them a really nice sparkle.

I will try my best to do all of this within the next 5/6 months. It is a busy household here and I only get time to do this in the evening.
          Thank you so much for your advice and help. It was very much appreciated.
          Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

Comment

Thanx Zcechy

Well, this is it...I have seen those half waistcoats with a tie in the back, but never got to look at them closely to know how to make them.

I am willing to give it a go. I suppose it is a question of trial and error. I am bound to get it right at some point.

Thank you for the idea of the canvas, it make more sense to use it rather than felt. I have some left over from a pair of leggings I made a few weeks ago. That should do.

The design is subtle in colours because my niece is really not comfortable with them. I know that as Fancy is concerned big and bold seems to be the idea. But its her first attempt at Fancy Shawl and I guess, she is shy about it. I have managed to compromise a large ribbon work on the shawl and adding lots of red/blue/white and silver ribbons on the shawl and bib.

Thank you very much for your advice! I will definitely give the backless waistcoat a go and will use canvas for the bib.

Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

Comment

No Probelm

Originally posted by Creewoman05 View Post
              Your drawings are great, sorry I could not be of any more help!
              Thank you I got there in the end!
              Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

Comment

Here's a pic of a cape with a vest front like I described.

Yikes on the amount of sequins you'll be using! But the final effect would be really neat and different. Are you sewing or gluing the sequins on?

Comment

Done it!!!

Hi Zcechy,

Whewwww... I have done it! I used your advise, done the front bit from an alternated old waistcoat pattern. I used canvas for the bib part with iron on paper on to tough it up.
                  I am so happy with myself. Thank you for your help, you really got me there.

I will sew on all the sequins. I really did not think of gluing them because I had this image of applique work going from the bottom part to the top....It would not look great glued on. But maybe for the shawl...?

Her are two pics of the outfit (so far). The bottom edges of the waistcoat part is still undone, because I have to add danglers or ribbons and I would like to add bias tape in blue to contrast the one in red around the V neck.
                  I will add two large bog paws on each side, diagonnally (like pockets) above the pointy bits. Because otherwise it will be too plain, even with cup sequins background.

Tomorrow I am tackling the shawl. Then.... The applique paws... Then the beadwork!!!

Wow.. I love the chinese fabric yo uhave used for this little fancy outfit. I have used some for Jingles and it really makes an outfit out of nothing. The outfit is lovely, really lovely. I love your applique work!!!!

Thank you so very much again.
                  Attached Files
                  Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

Comment

looks great so far. You'll be glad you used Czechy advice on the bib. I do mine very similar. I like the shape of the bib, I do that shape sometimes. My oldest daughter is also a tomboy & I used to just so some extra long ribbons off the points of her bib (same shape as yours) because she didn't like ribbon all the way along. I liked it, it worked. With white, I find you can use less design because the white pops against bold & simple. Go with what your thinking & you won't be dissapointed. You can tie the sides of the backless vest in a variety of ways from elastic, to ties to lacing it up like a corset. I usually do backless ones to lace up like a corset. Then it ties tight & even, especially as young girls change in shape.

Suzze

Comment

Wow, good start! I like the way your edged your stuff with bias before beading.

Please post more pics as you go!
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Hi Wyo Rose and Suzze

Thank you very much. Yes I used Zcechy's idea of using bias tape before beadwork.It looks really neat.Otherwise, I probably would have done a beaded edge. But with fancy I guess that is much better and as well less work.
                        Wow.. Backless corset style top, that sounds very glamourous. However, I doubt very much that my niece will be the type. The white satin is completely lined, but it is still slighly seethrough. She is to wear this with a white plain T-shirt underneath.

I am half way through the shawl. I just tried to hold it as she would and realise that it is going to be tricky to grasp as it is in the same satin fabric that her outfit. So I have decided to fold it a little right at the end, as if making a sleeve, so that she can slip her hand in there to hold it. I have seen some with pockets at the tip, but its too late for those now.

It's funny how I never really realised how tricky a Fancy Shawl could be. I based myself on a traditional shawl design, but it is not used in the same way, so of course, that adds last minute adjustments.
                        I have fringed it partially with ribbons in red/blue/silver and the rest is filled with white fringe threadheld in place by simple overhand knots. My fingertips are sore from that job. It took a little convincing for them to go through the satin. Even with a sharp yarn needle.

I will take two days off from sewing but will try to finish it on Thursday. I will post a pic if I can then!!
                        Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

Comment

Originally posted by redberries View Post
                          Thank you very much. Yes I used Zcechy's idea of using bias tape before beadwork.It looks really neat.Otherwise, I probably would have done a beaded edge. But with fancy I guess that is much better and as well less work.
                          Wow.. Backless corset style top, that sounds very glamourous. However, I doubt very much that my niece will be the type. The white satin is completely lined, but it is still slighly seethrough. She is to wear this with a white plain T-shirt underneath.

I am half way through the shawl. I just tried to hold it as she would and realise that it is going to be tricky to grasp as it is in the same satin fabric that her outfit. So I have decided to fold it a little right at the end, as if making a sleeve, so that she can slip her hand in there to hold it. I have seen some with pockets at the tip, but its too late for those now.
                          The backless, with a corset style tie up just makes it fit well, the girls wear a tank top underneath. Guess I should have explained that, sorry.
                          Suzze

Comment

You can still edge bead over the bias if you want. The bias is for construction purposes to give a good edge that won't fray, but it can look nice on it's own.
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by redberries View Post
                              Hello there,

Okay here is the deal...I have jingle dance for years and that regalia holds no secret for me. However, my niece wants to Fancy Shawl and has asked me to design her regalia. I have done the skirt, I am half way through with the waistcoat part. I have tried to find old threads regarding the cape, but cannot find anything. I understand that it comes out of the shoulder seam of the waistcoat and folds over the shawl. I am pretty sure I will have to make it "hard" with interface iron on paper too. However, it will be completely beaded, so shall I just use felt for the top part, as if making a base for a rosette or hair tie (But in much larger... Does that make sense?). I am enclosing the design I have made for her. So that you can see what I am trying to achieve. The paws are done in applique and are her "trademark". She has them everywhere. I have added some ribbon all around the edges of the bib to make it more "Fancy". The shawl itself will be beaded with iridescent clear sequins to give it a 3D effect that you cannot see on the quick drawing.
                              The red and blue fabric look like shiny metal.
                              Any ideas to make this more "Fancy" are welcome... Thank you.

Hi There,

I have completly beaded only one vest/cape for myself in which I used canvas as my base. I found that the weight of the beads keeps the back part of the cape down when i dance. I backed it with cotton broadcloth , I never thought to use the interface with the beadwork, but i dont mind that its not stiff. I dont know if felt will hold up to wear. I know that some folks here use crib liner for some of thier beadwork projects. Maybe the thin rubber that is sandwiched between the fabric would have the added benefit of protecting the beadwork from sweat?

I like your design btw, good luck with the outfit!

Jill

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.