No announcement yet.

How to make a bib....??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't mind me asking one more question, how many beads did it take you to do just the cape? I am at a loss on how many beads I will need!

Comment

Redberries,

Thank you for all of your help. Her regalia is now finished. The shawl is white, with two blackbirds in each lower corner, and three large red flowers in the lower center, accented with an orange petal and green leaves. As I mentioned, the 1/8 inch ribbon fringe is black mostly, with a white, orange, and red "section" at each side, simulating the blackbird's wings. I put a row of translucent sequins and white beads around the edge, giving it a little sparkle for the arena.

The skirt satin on top, with a red satin flounce...accented wth tiny red bows and pearls at the joining line. The vest was a challenge, took me all day, but it is black, with a red flower as above, in the center of the bib and the center of the vest front. I used two bands of black elastic to go around her back to hold it in place. It is bound in red ribbon all round, very striking if I do say so myself!

The hair ties are white, with a tiny red flower in the middle, and "streamers" of black, orange and red ribbon. The barrette is white, with a larger red flower in the center. I found some white feathers (probably chicken for all I know LOL) at the craft store, and they are a little fluffy ...it will be good enough until she decides if she is going to continue or not...now she wants moccasins to match, so I am hunting those, and her sister wants a jingle outfit, so I am going over to that forum to learn about that!!!

Aunties are always busy it seems!

I have had so much fun learning about this regalia, and can't thank everyone enough for all the help and advice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AllynWalkingBear View Post
        Redberries,
        now she wants moccasins to match, so I am hunting those, and her sister wants a jingle outfit, so I am going over to that forum to learn about that!!!

Aunties are always busy it seems!

I have had so much fun learning about this regalia, and can't thank everyone enough for all the help and advice!!!
        Hello Allyn,

Well I am a Jingle dancer so if you need any help, I can help you with that as well. But for the main Q & A, I have left a few tips on the Jingle forum for other people in the past if you can find them. Mocassins are very easy to do. It looks a lot more complicated than it is. But, if you have the money, there are some good deals on eBay. Some people can produce them quickly with a minimum of decoration or none if you feel like beading them.

Your niece outfit sounds really striking. I do love all those colors together. I wish I could see it. If someone can be kind enough to take her pic and maybe email it to you, you might be able to post it for everyone to see. That would be good. I have not yet receive any pic of my niece wearing her new outfit. However, I have been told she is on youtube somewhere.

we should make the Sewing Auntie Society!! lol
        Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

Comment

Beads

Originally posted by cherokeemom06 View Post
          If you don't mind me asking one more question, how many beads did it take you to do just the cape? I am at a loss on how many beads I will need!
          Hi Cherokeemom06,

It will depend on the size of your project, the size of your beads and the way you bead.
          I know some people that leaves gaps between each lanes, keep their stitching very tight. They use less beads than I do as I cover the whole area and my lanes are slightly humped. Based on that, I used about half a pound in weight of round inside colored white #11 seed beads. And thats just for the background color. The whole of the white beadwork for this outfit used a whole 2 Lbs jar of those beads.

My best advise is to choose a type/color of bead that you can find easily if you need topping up. If you have extra it is always good to keep for future possible repairs.

Good luck!
          Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

Comment

I will be going to Iowa in March to give the regalia to her, and to make final adjustments. I will have my brother take her picture (hopefully) and have him send it to me, so I can post it here...I am really quite proud of my first effort!

I gladly accept your offer of help with the jingle regalia...! Pilamaye!

Comment

Toka Sni

Originally posted by AllynWalkingBear View Post
              I gladly accept your offer of help with the jingle regalia...! Pilamaye!
              Anytime Allyn.
              Glad to be able to help others too.
              Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

Comment

I just finished doing the ribbonwork on one of my daughter's leggings. Hopefully I will be able to finish the other one tonight, then sew them both to the backing tomorrow. I hope to have her new set finished by the end of Jan. She's 10 and I'm doing all fabric, with just a little beadwork. Then I can start on the 3 boys

Anyway here's a pic of the ribbonwork for the first legging

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/gen...work-sets.html
                The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

Finished the second one tonight, I'll sew them to the backings tomorrow after work. I'd appreciate any hints, tips and comments you ladies and gentleman if there are any would like to supply.
                  The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                  -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

redberries,

What a great outfit! Do you have any pics of the young lady wearing it. That would be neat to see.
                    Kindness matters

Comment

Skip Rabbit

Thanks! She did not want something too flashy and something she could put a Jingle overdress on . I guess I can try to get her to let me have some. Just gimme a bit of time to chase this up.
                      Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.