X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redberries
    replied
    Skip Rabbit

Thanks! She did not want something too flashy and something she could put a Jingle overdress on . I guess I can try to get her to let me have some. Just gimme a bit of time to chase this up.

Leave a comment:

• skip rabbit
    replied
    redberries,

What a great outfit! Do you have any pics of the young lady wearing it. That would be neat to see.

Leave a comment:

• spottedeagle
    replied
    Finished the second one tonight, I'll sew them to the backings tomorrow after work. I'd appreciate any hints, tips and comments you ladies and gentleman if there are any would like to supply.

Leave a comment:

• spottedeagle
    replied
    I just finished doing the ribbonwork on one of my daughter's leggings. Hopefully I will be able to finish the other one tonight, then sew them both to the backing tomorrow. I hope to have her new set finished by the end of Jan. She's 10 and I'm doing all fabric, with just a little beadwork. Then I can start on the 3 boys

Anyway here's a pic of the ribbonwork for the first legging

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/gen...work-sets.html

Leave a comment:

• redberries
    replied
    Toka Sni

Originally posted by AllynWalkingBear View Post
    I gladly accept your offer of help with the jingle regalia...! Pilamaye!
    Anytime Allyn.
    Glad to be able to help others too.

Leave a comment:

• AllynWalkingBear
    replied
    I will be going to Iowa in March to give the regalia to her, and to make final adjustments. I will have my brother take her picture (hopefully) and have him send it to me, so I can post it here...I am really quite proud of my first effort!

I gladly accept your offer of help with the jingle regalia...! Pilamaye!

Leave a comment:

• redberries
    replied
    Beads

Originally posted by cherokeemom06 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking one more question, how many beads did it take you to do just the cape? I am at a loss on how many beads I will need!
    Hi Cherokeemom06,

It will depend on the size of your project, the size of your beads and the way you bead.
    I know some people that leaves gaps between each lanes, keep their stitching very tight. They use less beads than I do as I cover the whole area and my lanes are slightly humped. Based on that, I used about half a pound in weight of round inside colored white #11 seed beads. And thats just for the background color. The whole of the white beadwork for this outfit used a whole 2 Lbs jar of those beads.

My best advise is to choose a type/color of bead that you can find easily if you need topping up. If you have extra it is always good to keep for future possible repairs.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• redberries
    replied
    Originally posted by AllynWalkingBear View Post
    Redberries,
    now she wants moccasins to match, so I am hunting those, and her sister wants a jingle outfit, so I am going over to that forum to learn about that!!!

Aunties are always busy it seems!

I have had so much fun learning about this regalia, and can't thank everyone enough for all the help and advice!!!
    Hello Allyn,

Well I am a Jingle dancer so if you need any help, I can help you with that as well. But for the main Q & A, I have left a few tips on the Jingle forum for other people in the past if you can find them. Mocassins are very easy to do. It looks a lot more complicated than it is. But, if you have the money, there are some good deals on eBay. Some people can produce them quickly with a minimum of decoration or none if you feel like beading them.

Your niece outfit sounds really striking. I do love all those colors together. I wish I could see it. If someone can be kind enough to take her pic and maybe email it to you, you might be able to post it for everyone to see. That would be good. I have not yet receive any pic of my niece wearing her new outfit. However, I have been told she is on youtube somewhere.

we should make the Sewing Auntie Society!! lol

Leave a comment:

• AllynWalkingBear
    replied
    Redberries,

Thank you for all of your help. Her regalia is now finished. The shawl is white, with two blackbirds in each lower corner, and three large red flowers in the lower center, accented with an orange petal and green leaves. As I mentioned, the 1/8 inch ribbon fringe is black mostly, with a white, orange, and red "section" at each side, simulating the blackbird's wings. I put a row of translucent sequins and white beads around the edge, giving it a little sparkle for the arena.

The skirt satin on top, with a red satin flounce...accented wth tiny red bows and pearls at the joining line. The vest was a challenge, took me all day, but it is black, with a red flower as above, in the center of the bib and the center of the vest front. I used two bands of black elastic to go around her back to hold it in place. It is bound in red ribbon all round, very striking if I do say so myself!

The hair ties are white, with a tiny red flower in the middle, and "streamers" of black, orange and red ribbon. The barrette is white, with a larger red flower in the center. I found some white feathers (probably chicken for all I know LOL) at the craft store, and they are a little fluffy ...it will be good enough until she decides if she is going to continue or not...now she wants moccasins to match, so I am hunting those, and her sister wants a jingle outfit, so I am going over to that forum to learn about that!!!

Aunties are always busy it seems!

I have had so much fun learning about this regalia, and can't thank everyone enough for all the help and advice!!!

Leave a comment:

• cherokeemom06
    replied
    If you don't mind me asking one more question, how many beads did it take you to do just the cape? I am at a loss on how many beads I will need!

Leave a comment:

• redberries
    replied
    cherokeemom06

Originally posted by cherokeemom06 View Post
    if you trimmed your cape in bias tape and used the satin to back it before beading, did you back it again or what? It seems like to me your thread would show through on the backside. I was going to bead it then iron the backing on and trim with bias.
    Hello cherokeemom06. Thank yo very much for your comment. It took me 5 and half months to finish her outfit. I have made some fabric leggings until I get the courage to do legging #2. .

What I did was to use ultra thick iron on paper that I applied on canvas. It is easier to bead if the support is stiffer. As well ironing backing paper on beadwork might not be practical.
    I then added the satin backing and I sew the bias tape over the whole project edges which was in turn added to vest.
    I was not sure if I was to bead over it, which you can do, or leave it as a border. In the end, I decided to leave it as it was.
    The beadwork took place after everything was put together. It is all done in lazy stitch but because the whole layers are thick enough, I was able to do it carefully and I never once got through. It took me 4 weeks to bead the whole cape.
    Put your finger underneath as you go along. It will help you keep the thread in. The stiffness helps me see where I am going as I bead and the lane is straight.

Hope it helped!

Leave a comment:

• cherokeemom06
    replied
    First, your entire outfit is gorgeous and you have so much talent. Your niece will be very lucky to have such gorgeous regalia. Second, I have what is probably a very silly question, but if you trimmed your cape in bias tape and used the satin to back it before beading, did you back it again or what? It seems like to me your thread would show through on the backside. I was going to bead it then iron the backing on and trim with bias. I've done plenty of beadwork but never a fully beaded cape so I'm trying to work out the details of it all. Thanks for any suggestions!

Leave a comment:

• redberries
    replied
    Re: Creewoman05

Thanks!! It is always nice to have all this hard work appreciated.
    Have a great day!!

Leave a comment:

• redberries
    replied
    Allyn - More info

Hi Allyn,

Wow the outfit from your description sounds really beautiful. It is sad that you cannot post pics, as I would have loved to see it all finished. But, no worries.
    I love the black/red/white scheme. It can be very stricking. I saw a girl once wearing such colors for her fancy outfit. All of it was painted on. Which for fancy is quite acceptable. Half her shawl was white with red spots and the other was black with white spots. She had a fish tail skirt in black and the top was with with black/red sleeves.
    It was beautiful, actually she did win the girls competition.

I know I might have gone all the way with my niece's outfit, but I gathered if she did not like the Fancy competition, I could always do a jingle overdress to slip over the fancy outfit and it would make her a new jingle regalia. Which she would have needed anyway.

For the plume, this one is a legal one. A turkey double stems fluff with tinted brown tips. Very realistic though and very very fluffy, which is quite fashionable for the teenagers.
    So, she will not get into trouble. Yes, you are right feathers are very sacred and should be earned or gifted. However, these days, not many do go by traditions, or taught traditions. Hence cannot follow them. But that's an endless debate as you have experienced!
    Some dancers do not wear feathers. She does not have to. She can wear a barette without a feather. It is down to her and the trend in the arena she will enter (she will probably do whatever the others do - peer pressure!!). If she does not know, she should approach an Elder with a pouch of tobacco and ask for advice. That is the best one I can give you both on the subject.

Foam for the leggings is a good idea! I never though of that one... Would it stand the weight of beads do you think? mmhh.. I might try it next time and see where it leads. After all learning is about trials and errors.
    I have tried velcro before, but after a while, some of the taffeta, satin or other light fabrics would somehow frizz with the constant friction and get tangled in it. It looks awful and eventually stop gripping as much. One of my sisters was using a zipper and I switched. Never looked back.
    The good thing with them as well is that you can have them in the front. It gives an extra decoration to the legging. Modern one of course. But well, it is the 21st century!!

Nice to have talked to you!!

Leave a comment:

• AllynWalkingBear
    replied
    Thank you so much for the hair tie instructions...That was similar to the way I had planned to do it, so I know I am on the right track...

I won't use cardboard to stiffen the leggins...the sweat will cause it to break down over time...I will stick with the art foam...that way they can be washed if needed.

I am not doing any beading...she will not be dancing for competition, and I don't know how interested she will be in a year or two...if she decides to continue then, she will also have outgrown this first set of regalia anyway, so I will make a new set and more intricate than this one.

I will be putting the design on by applique. Her colors are red, black, white, with a bit of orange and green for the accent.

It will have two blackbirds on the lower corners of the shawl, with red flowers scattered across for accent. The fringe is very narrow 1/8 ribbon, in black, white, red and a bit of orange. Those are the colors of the Redwinged Blackbird which is in her name....Little Redwinged Blackbird Girl.

The background of the shawl will be white but she wants her skirt and vest to be black and red (I think black will be too hot for dancing, but then, I am not 13 years old either!)

I don't have a camera, so I won't be able to post the pictures...but from everything I have read...she should look quite appropriate for the Fancy Shawl Dance!

p.s. I didn't think about a zipper for the leggins, that's a good idea too...thought I would use Velcro...easy on, easy off.

There was also a question of whether to put plume feathers in her barette...some felt that feathers should be earned before being worn...others felt that the regalia was not complete without it...I bought some inexpensive turkey plume feathers...white...and thought I would use those. Any thoughts on that subject?
    I see you have plumes on your barette, is that tradition for you ?

She is Lakota, so I just wondered about that.

Now, off to get started ! Whew~! I have my work cut out for me! But you have given me lots of encouragement, so I feel pretty successful already!

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.