new shawl fringe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new shawl fringe

I know that there was a thread talking about flat fringe, what do you think of shawl fringe made out of flagger or construction tape (for lack of a better word, the kind used on the tips of mens fancy dance bustles. I think that Jocey Bird had a couple of shawls made that way.

my new shawl is being made that way..

my new shawl is being made that way...But my mom is working with that stuff so that it is stiff at the top....this will make it not fall off as much as is does on other peoples regailias....And it is pretty nice considering some of it comes in different colors...well i'm outtie...
    *Stephanie

R.I.P Alex Archie
    March 12, 1966 to May 7, 2003
    ***AIDS***
    Creator Please Help Us Find A Cure..

Comment

I got to check out a shawl that Jackie Bird made for my friend's daughter with that type of fringe. It's all one piece across where it's sewn on, so I know it's not the strips. I think it's the cheap plastic table cloths that you get at the dollar store.

At least that's what I'm gonna use for a girl's shawl that wants fringe like that. I bought 5 rolls of flagging tape, but that will take forever and I can just imagine the tangled mess I would make with it.
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

i think its pretty neat. i know that Amanda Bigmountain and Michelle Reed use it. the only problem with that is that if you step on it, it will snap off.
        Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

yeah wyo rose, i seen her shawl too and it is table cloth cut in strips. I used the flagger tape on my daughter's shawl didnt have no problem with it, faster than regular ribbon anyway. I like it, but thats true, step on it and it comes off

But i will still use ribbon for her shawls too

Comment

Hmmm, I guess I'll try the flagging tape then. And since the table cloths come in such nice colors, I think my nieces are all getting plastic fringe. It'll be my fault for them leaving streamers all over the arbor.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Does anyone have pics of these shawls? I haven't seen any made with flagger tape, just ribbon.

Comment

I'll try to take pics of my niece's shawls. They won't be very elaborate, cuz I gotta get them done by next week. But they should show the fringe good.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

I've seen those shawls with the flagging tape or those plastic fringes. I think some of them look pretty cool! But I haven't been brave enough to try it myself!!!

Hey wyo_rose! you talking about Georges' daughter with that fringe? That's a really pretty shawl!!!

Comment

Originally posted by morningstarwoman
                    Does anyone have pics of these shawls? I haven't seen any made with flagger tape, just ribbon.
                    this is of amanda bigmountain:

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho....php?photo=722
                    Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst313
                      I've seen those shawls with the flagging tape or those plastic fringes. I think some of them look pretty cool! But I haven't been brave enough to try it myself!!!

Hey wyo_rose! you talking about Georges' daughter with that fringe? That's a really pretty shawl!!!
                      Yeppers, isn't it just beautiful??? Wish I could say I helped.:Chatter But I'm proud to say I made her dress she wears with it.:p She wore it this weekend, maybe I can get her pic at this next powwow.
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Shawl Fringe

Yeah, that flaggin strip is pretty kewl...Sherry Bird let me try one of hers out last summer, and it was nice, not too heavy, not too light, just right!! I have a shawl like that one, but am considering having another one made with that tablecloth stuff...yeah, it's waay cheaper, comes in better colors and does alright for me!!

I'm headin out to Cali, so Wyo Rose, if u need anything, let me know, I'm buying up in LA>..lol. Ribbon, sequins, beads..lol. Let me know how you're doing and where u at? How's baby? Good I hope, well, PM me and let me know, K? Laters...
                        Tanksida

Comment

Thanks, Tanksida. I'll have to think about what I really need. Baby is fine and danced in his new grass dance outfit this weekend. He looked so cute. When I get my camera back I'll post a pic. My daughter bought the 1/8" ribbon for some reason and it took FOREVER to sew it on!:(

Straight - that kite stuff sounds interesting. And I do need a new top for my shade. I suppose I could get several colors and do a star quilt design. :p

The flagging tape and/or tablecloth stuff does come off alot, but it's so cheap and you do so many multiple layers that a few off here and there doesn't really show. I suppose if I was doing myself a shawl that I would want to last a long time, I would check into the inch wide kite spools. I wonder if they do it any thinner, like 1/2 inch??? Do you have a name of this kite place?
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

hmmm, that kite material sounds like something to look into, like wyo rose said i use several layers of tape, so that if it does break off, you cant really tell unless someone steps on one whole side. :) but i think that you can buy the tape for like $1.25 for a whole roll. but i am careful with my daughters shawls

It good to experiment with different materials, with all the new trends going on especially in fancy you have to stand out in the crowd these days.
                            Last edited by thizgirlpowwows; 06-23-2003, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I made a new shawl using the flagger tape, and its pretty cool lightweight, makes my shawl more noticeable. if you take care of your shawl, the fringe do not come off.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X