• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tradish_wiyan
    plains n8tv
    • May 2003

Old Style fancy shawl

Does anyone know about the old style fancy shawl? Since it is a fairly new dance compared to traditional, I was wondering if anyone has danced this style or has seen it. I saw an "old style" fancy shawl special at a powwow about 7 years ago, and I have never seen anything since. My grandmother would tell me about how they used to dance long ago. Any Input?
    yeah, yeah, yeah...

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?
  • Majii
    Tiny Tot Dancer
    • Jun 2000

Old style fancy shawl was mostly about footwork. Not too much jumping, skipping and high kicks. I think the only time there would be spins is during the honor beats.

Also the style of the outfits were more simpler. The shawls were just fabric with chainette fringe. No yokes, a scarf around the neck instead. Moccasins were the high top ones that wrapped around your calf and tied up with leather laces. It was all about the footwork back then. If I had a scanner I would post some pictures, but I don't :(

Comment

• Riverwoman

That would be great if you could post the pictures, when you are able, I am sure people would like to see that:)

Comment

• tradish_wiyan
        plains n8tv
        • May 2003

Thats the idea that I had of old style fancy shawl. My grandma would be kind of disgusted at the "young" style of fancy shawl dancing...kicking and swinging thier shawl around. I started out as fancy and thats they type of outfit that I had, high top moccasins, and she always stressed that under no circumstances was I supposed to show my legs...that was a no-no:NoNo
        And I do remember the spinning on the honor beats.

Another thing...kind of off the topic, does anyone you see disqualify themselves when they drop a piece of their outfit or overstep or stop too soon. To me, that is a sign of honor and respect for the drum, for themselves and their family if they disqualify themselves. What is your input on this?
        yeah, yeah, yeah...

Comment

• Mato Winyan
          Lovin' life,
          • Mar 2000

Originally posted by tradish_wiyan

Another thing...kind of off the topic, does anyone you see disqualify themselves when they drop a piece of their outfit or overstep or stop too soon. To me, that is a sign of honor and respect for the drum, for themselves and their family if they disqualify themselves. What is your input on this?
          My daughter has twice... once for an understep... once for an overstep. One time they had her to line up anyway.

I have seen many times when the person dropped something and picked it up and went on as nothing happened. Once they asked who a dropped object belonged to and the person denied it. I don't know why they were allowed to get away with it but since it was a hairtie you would think they would notice when a person only had one and who's outfit it matched. Anyway... she got what she wanted.. she got first.
          "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

• wickedannabella
            Tiny Tot Dancer
            • Jul 2003

You "Kids" are making me feel old. We used to "old style" dance back in the 70's I guess when we were kids. Some one here described it pretty accurately.

Hi-top boots that laced up (balerina like) around your calf, long fringed shawls with double knot (usually a solid color) and cotton dresses with a concho belt and a scarf.

Yes, it's all about footwork and honor beats and just a step above jingle dancing. Your knees didn't really raise much. My style is very old style in dancing. If anyone's in chicago, I'll be happy to teach you!

:P

Lori.
            I'd rather live on the side of a mountain than to wander through canyons of concrete and steel...

Comment

• fncyshwldncr4life

I guess I could say I still dance the old style. I wear a fully beaded yoke, and have Ribbon fringe of course, but Im talking bout the style of Dancin. Don't see it much anymore. I would rather do the footwork, I like it when people are like, "how did she do that?" Alot of gurls these days seem like they just do alot of , kick, kick spin left, spin right, kick, kick.. I must be gettin old..lol

Comment

• wickedannabella
                Tiny Tot Dancer
                • Jul 2003

You're not old

Originally posted by fncyshwldncr4life
                I guess I could say I still dance the old style. I wear a fully beaded yoke, and have Ribbon fringe of course, but Im talking bout the style of Dancin. Don't see it much anymore. I would rather do the footwork, I like it when people are like, "how did she do that?" Alot of gurls these days seem like they just do alot of , kick, kick spin left, spin right, kick, kick.. I must be gettin old..lol
                You're just elegant! ;)

Hey, I prefer the footwork to as opposed to the acrobatics. I've been told my style sways like grass in the wind. I think that's a compliment compared to the bouncy bouncy they do now.

I have a yolk now but I still have my chainfringe shawl...Working on a ribbon fringe...
                I'd rather live on the side of a mountain than to wander through canyons of concrete and steel...

Comment

• tradish_wiyan
                  plains n8tv
                  • May 2003

Its good to see that there are women who are staying with the old style. Another thing my grandmother told me was that when you hold a shawl, keep your "front" covered and don't fling your shawl all over. gee, i see some dancers swinging their shawls all over, arms straight up in the air. I really do love the old style in all categories, and I would love to see the old style fancy shawl dance. Although, I respect the new style, I prefer the old style...its more meaningful to me.
                  yeah, yeah, yeah...

Comment

• wickedannabella
                    Tiny Tot Dancer
                    • Jul 2003

Oh my yes! EVERYTHING had to be covered. You did NOT wear tank tops under your shawl! You wore a full cloth dress and you did NOT open your shawl. I personally open my shawl up these days, but not nearly like the "youngin's"

Gramma Lori, Signing off.

;)

Comment

• walela49
                      the legal plumes lady!
                      • Jan 2003

"old style" fancy shawl

I thought "old style" referred to women who danced with their shawls draped over one arm but still danced a with a little more activity than tradish girls...you know, a little footwork, a little spinning, etc. I've seen these ladies wear plain-ish dance clothes with either a beaded yoke or a scarf. I've seen this in dances up north like Crow Fair and on a video of Little Shell. If you try the "old style" fancy shawl thing down here, people look at you like you're crazy!:39:
                      sigpic

See my trading post ads
                      See my photo gallery
                      See walela49's myspace page

Comment

• ndnrose
                        Pow Wow Visitor
                        • May 2002

old style fancy shawl started back in the late 50's - first wave & early 60's 2nd wave. the 70's was the third wave. i danced the shawl dance as it was known back then & when it transitioned to a little more footwork in the 70's. lady's back in the day who are orig. are namez like Hazel Blake from Fort Berthold, Mary Windy Boy Lone Bear, now living on Fort Berthold, Julia Roach RenCountre of SD. just a few of the names. i watched these women when i was competing in little girls categories. it started in the ND & SD area & spread out in the 70's to the surrounding states & provinces. the first dancers wore high tops, cloth dress, belt (mostly leather w/ tooled floral imprints, & beaded necklaces. wearing buckskin dress started in 60's & 70's, as well as scarves came in 70's & beaded capes late 70's & early 80's. i've seen it change as well as modesty. i still like watching contemporary fancy shawl. culture has to evolve to live, but sometimes it crosses the line.

Comment

• tradish_wiyan
                          plains n8tv
                          • May 2003

Thanks to all the ladies who posted, these posts sure bring back a lot of good memories of how the shawl dance was originally. I agree, tradition evolves and things change. it does cross the line when the ladies are constantly spinning and running (i just wish i was in shape enough to dance like that). :p No disprespect ladies...you are all beautiful in your own way. Its nice to get nostalgic once in a while.

The style that I love to watch is the old style grass dance. *maybe I should go post in the grass dance forum* :Chatter
                          yeah, yeah, yeah...

Comment

• NativeChick509
                            Tiny Tot Dancer
                            • Sep 2005

those exact stories i heard,from buckskin dress and a folded shawl in one arm, then 60's and 70's cloth dress and a shawl wrapped around their body but not much spinning. 80's and today when it all turned contemporary. this is what our younger generation fancy shawlers needs to know and learn first. i even got accused of lying about the history of womens fancy dancing. thats like dissing our original elder ladies who created this dance,sheesh,know your history bud. BTW i think the old style fancy shawl is coming back to its old roots :D keep it up girls. :)
                            Last edited by NativeChick509; 07-21-2011, 07:33 AM. Reason: fix

Comment

• Lakxota Mom
                              Pow Wow Visitor
                              • Jun 2005

My daughter dances fancy shawl, she's 16. I make sure her dress is long enough so her legs don't show when she dances. That is how I was told by Auntie. Also my daughter's regalia is not bright neon colors, she likes more subtle colors (blues and white). Even with the "new style" of dancing you should not be showing your legs and flinging your shawl around. It would be great if someone had any video or pictures of the old style and could post them so the young kids could see how fancy shawl started.
                              In our family, we always ask our elders to tell us how things started out. It's good to know how it started.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.